25% duty on classic car imports??? | FerrariChat

25% duty on classic car imports???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sixcarbs, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Just got this email. Apparently the Trump tariffs will apply to all car imports including used classics. It will take the import duty from 2.5% to 25%. I have no horse in this race but thought some of you might be interested to know. If you are going to import, import now!

===================

Dear Fellow Classic Car Enthusiast:

It has come to our attention that on May 23rd in the Federal Register the Department of Commerce published a Notice of Request for Public Comments regarding its Section 232 Investigation into the imports of automobiles and their effect on “National Security”. I hope you will join me in protesting President Trump’s proposed 25% duty on all automobile imports.

The President, by Proclamation, is considering applying a blanket import duty of 25% on all automobiles (cars, SUVs, vans and light trucks) and parts, regardless of the age or origin of the automobile. Currently that duty rate is 2.5%. This is the exact same process used to recently impose a 25% duty on steel.

Obviously, the importation of our classic and collector cars has nothing to do with “National Security” but our problem is that these bureaucrats in DC don’t realize that both new and used vehicles are covered by the same tariff item in the U.S. Customs Import Regulations, and therefore we are all being tarred by the same brush they are using to attempt to limit the importation of new foreign manufactured vehicles.

I am writing to you to ask you to join me and hopefully thousands of fellow enthusiasts and hobbyists, to appeal to the Secretary to separate out “used automobiles and parts” and exclude them from this 25% duty in the Investigation Report. It is obvious that if we go ahead and apply this extortionate rate of 25% duty, the EU will almost certainly retaliate and could easily place a higher tariff on all automobiles exported to Europe from the USA. Although the duty rate in Europe is 10%, it is waived on vehicles manufactured in Europe, just as we currently waive our 2.5% duty on imports of American made vehicles.

It is very easy to write a comment to the Commerce Department and we have until June 22ndto do so. Simply go to www.regulations.gov and type into the search field DOC-2018-0002 and click “Search”. On the page that appears there is a box entitled “Comment Now!” where you can type your comments and submit them. It’s very simple and will take just five minutes of your time.

I want us all to argue that to include “used” cars and parts in the proposed Presidential Proclamation is not only harmful to our hobby, but also to our national economy, and these cars have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with “National Security”, and as such they should be excluded in the Investigation Report.

We are very fortunate to have an experienced attorney that specializes in exactly this kind of law, supporting our efforts, and like us he is an avid classic car collector too. Marshall Miller can be contacted directly should you wish to pursue the matter further, at:

Marshall V. Miller
    Miller & Company P.C.
    4929 Main St.
    Kansas City, MO 64112
    816-561-4999
    [email protected]

Please also consider contacting Members of the U.S. Senate, House of Representatives, and the Trump Administration to express your concerns as well as commenting above.

I thank you for your support and hope we can persuade our government to not impose a 25% duty on vintage vehicles and parts.

Yours sincerely,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Martin E. Button

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    holy **** ! this is really bad for me.
    thanks for the heads up. i need to move asap.

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i just wrote them a note

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Jeezus! Bad for 512 too! Hope this is not right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i figure it is not possible to stop them from slapping this on used cars that are less than 25 years old since the loopholes would be too obvious.
    so i asked them to consider NOT applying it to cars 25 years old or older.
    this way we remain as we are now - no dot, no epa, 2.5% duty.

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    You think you need to move quickly. How do you think the buyer of the 250 GTO #4153GT feels? :eek:

LARRYH and energy88 like this.
  7. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    By move quickly we mean, if you are going to import a car to the US in the near future, do it now before these come into effect.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    oh ? ! ?
    then I missunderstood. thank you for explaining :)

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well this will have a massive effect on the classic car market as a whole and I can predict a massive increase in the value of cars already in the USA. Conversely taking the largest market for classic cars out of the game will have an effect on price in the Europe as well as the ability to market cars in the USA.

An illogical step but this isn't P&R so I wont say anything more, quite how a 30 year old classic car threatens local US industry isn't clear to me.

Piper and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    EU will retaliate in other ways, if it chooses to. We already pay circa 20% import duty for anything from outside the EU.

"When importing a car from the America to the UK, you can do so completely tax free should you have owned the vehicle for at least six months and have lived outside the EU for over 12 months.

If these criteria don’t apply then vehicles built in the EU are subject to £50 duty and 20% VAT, based on the amount you paid for the vehicle, with those built outside of the EU coming in at 10% duty and 20% VAT."

One of the reasons you don't see many US cars imported over here, besides the fact that they just do not suite European roads.

In some ways you could say its just levelling the playing field!

LARRYH and turbo-joe like this.
  11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    This sounds great, the ones in the US will be that much more valuable.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Isn't that what Europe has been dealing with for Detroit parts?

13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    it'll never happen

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Apologies if I missed it, but when is the new tariff proposed to take effect?

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Finally putting the brakes on the auction scam. Get rd of the speculators who buy them just to make money.

Jakuzzi and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont think you have thought this through.
    take a minute and contemplate

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it would kill the vintage car market in the usa, and thus deprive the usa govt of the sales tax they already collect.
    it would be monumentally stupid to impose this on cars over 25 years old.

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    But is the market really threatened or is it just the small quantity (any figures anyone ?) of newly imported cars - surely most of the trading etc involves cars already in the USA

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hope Smiles gets his Pur Sang Bugatti 35B into the country before this hits.

20. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Tend to agree, but imo the larger issues will overwhelm collector cars.

Looks like he will, I just checked the thread and I think it’s on the way now. Super cool car!

21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #22 F355 Fan 82, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Could you be more dramatic ross? Explain how it will "kill" the vintage market, Id love to hear more.

How would this not make the value of cars already in the US go up? You have a limited supply and the new supply would cost more to bring in, take my 575, yes 2064 were made but less than 600 ever came here, if you want to bring over some of the rest when you can its going to cost ALOT thus mine would go up. Can you explain where Im supposed to be outraged?

Im sure someone who owns a US spec rare Ferrari is not going to complain that it costs more to bring in more supply to the market.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I assumed this applied to only new cars, but I didn't actually read the proposal. It didn't specify age of car? That's weird.

Just understate value of car and see if no one notices. ;) I guess by a multiple of 10 if you want to make the rate 2.5% again...

Simon1965 likes this.
  23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I still fail to see where this bad for those who own a rare car already in the US. Like the F512M pretty soon they were about to start importing them and drive up the supply here, now its going to cost more making those who own one in the US pretty happy as market value goes up. Where is this bad for anyone except people looking to buy.

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    investigation under section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1862), to determine the effects on the national security of imports of automobiles, including cars, SUVs, vans and light trucks, and automotive parts. If the Secretary finds that automobiles and/or automotive parts are being imported into the United States in such quantities or under such circumstances as to threaten to impair the national security, the Secretary shall recommend actions and steps that should be taken to adjust automobile and/or automotive parts imports so that they will not threaten to impair the national security.

§ 705.4 Criteria for determining effect of imports on the national security.
    (a) To determine the effect on the national security of the imports of the article under investigation, the Department shall consider the quantity of the article in question or other circumstances related to its import. With regard for the requirements of national security, the Department shall also consider the following:

(1) Domestic production needed for projected national defense requirements;

(2) The capacity of domestic industries to meet projected national defense requirements;

(3) The existing and anticipated availabilities of human resources, products, raw materials, production equipment and facilities, and other supplies and services essential to the national defense;

(4) The growth requirements of domestic industries to meet national defense requirements and the supplies and services including the investment, exploration and development necessary to assure such growth; and

(5) Any other relevant factors.

(b) In recognition of the close relation between the strength of our national economy and the capacity of the United States to meet national security requirements, the Department shall also, with regard for the quantity, availability, character and uses of the imported article under investigation, consider the following:

(1) The impact of foreign competition on the economic welfare of any domestic industry essential to our national security;

(2) The displacement of any domestic products causing substantial unemployment, decrease in the revenues of government, loss of investment or specialized skills and productive capacity, or other serious effects; and

(3) Any other relevant factors that are causing or will cause a weakening of our national economy.

Now, while it's good to ensure anything done doesn't accidentally wrap in classic cars and parts, it is clearly not the focus of this and the hand wringing is a bit of shouting the sky is falling.

Caeruleus11 likes this.