250 GTO damaged during GTO tour | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 GTO damaged during GTO tour

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Symoon, Jul 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Pleased to hear the occupants of the GTO are OK. How are the people in the other car?

2. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Thanks for the update, and best wishes to Chris and Ann for a speedy recovery. And yes, cars are just 4 wheels and a bit of metal, all very repairable, us humans, not so much. Bless.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #53 DeSoto, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    If it was a modern car, probably OK.

Old cars are lovely, but not the best place to be in a crash.

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very true.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ah excellent news considering the photo I saw!

Best wishes to them.

MS

6. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Happy to hear the injuries aren't life threatening, though head injuries are very bad and mysterious things. I hope the other drivers are okay as well.

SO true and a good teachable moment for those who forget:

Relative to modern machines, one is very vulnerable in these cars and it's vitally important to remember the era from which they come -- A time when a minor fender bender would sometimes result in a fatality.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Well you do have to wonder what type of person puts themselves in that position while following a old sports car. Most people I know give them plenty of room.

LOL If thats the same car which I think it is, they unloaded it in front of my house to get my car out of a transporter and a US mail truck came zipping around the corner and almost hit it!

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    One of my favorite GTOs, glad to hear the occupants will be ok.

9. Investor1

Investor1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2005
    USA
    I have known Chris and Ann for a number of years. I wish them both a very speedy recovery!!

10. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    DWR46 you have a PM

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow....Chicago paper picked it up, it's on the MSN Front Page now....

This is the part about using Ferraris as they were intended that really has taken the fun from it, for me....it's a mean spirited Public out there, when things go 'wrong"......

12. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    (FROM MSN.COM)

31M Ferrari Involved in World's Most Expensive Car Accident

American owner collides with another vehicle during Ferrari 250 GTO motorcade to Le Mans.

By Joshua Condon 1 hour ago

Crashing any car is traumatic; crashing a Ferrari is traumatic and pricey; crashing one of the most prized Maranello models ever, valued at more than $31 million, in what some are speculating could be the most expensive crash in history ... well, even contemplating that particular scenario makes our man-bits retract just a bit.

American businessman Christopher Cox was involved in a collision with another car last week during a motorcade of legendary Ferrari 250 GTOs through France en route to the Le Mans Classic, held this past weekend at the iconic race track in the northwest part of that country. His wife, Ann Cox, suffered a broken leg, while two passengers from the other vehicle were also sent to the hospital. Luckily, no fatalities were reported.

No news yet whether the car -- a blue-and-yellow Ferrari similar to the one pictured above -- can be salvaged, though Cox's model was involved in a collision once before, in 1976, and the full restoration that took place before Cox bought the car in 2005 likewise restored its ultra-rarefied price.

The model in question is one of only 39 Ferrari 250 GTOs in existence, as Ferrari produced the model for a mere handful of years during the 1960s. Last month, a mint-green 250 GTO sold for more than $35 million, setting a new record for a Ferrari sold at auction.

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have driven in England and in Aus. and NZ and in England
    as an American I flat gave up, called up the folks who loaned me
    a car and said "Come and pick up the car, please, I can't drive another foot." That's because
    in extremis, you forget which side of the road you're supposed to be on. And I bet in
    a Ferrari they were going hammers and tongs. In Aus. and NZ it was much easier, far less traffic. In Japan, I drove only feet before giving up.
    So I hope British drivers in Continental events do a little brush up first, maybe there should be a special school to re-orient them to the system used in most of the world).

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    That's some AAA journalism there... does this nitwit know anything about vintage cars / restoration???

15. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Furthermore, the mint-green wasn't sold at an auction. And there are 36 250 GTO's in existance.

Gotta love half-knowledge.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay now that we know the people are okay and on the mend (and I believe the occupants of the other car are too), I'd (admittedly selfishly) enjoy following the restoration/repair of another GTO. And I'm sure I am not the only one (?).

But of course if the owners don't want us to see this that is their choice. I assume there are complicated insurance issues to deal with first ... and I work for an insurance company. Thankfully in their IT department.

Hopefully this accident as not deminished their view of the car and old cars in general. Would be understandable if it has.
    Pete

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    no assurance as to validity, could be way wrong, a source has this incident as a 2 GTO event

18. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Not valid.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1,000!

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    At the end of the day, problems that can be fixed with money are not problems. It's the problems that can't be fixed with money that you have to watch out for. The car can be restored with money. Let us hope that the people can.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is a great comment, as long as you have the money.

Pete

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody found a pic of the car now?

23. marlon308

marlon308 Karting

Sep 4, 2009
    NL
    Full Name:
    M.E. van der Meer
    Do me a favor and let it go..please...we have enough rubberneckers on the road.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This thread has lived its life and should be shut down, just the way police and in this case the Gendarmes clear gawkers from an accident scene.

MS

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Sadly true. Now that we know that everybody is (relatively) OK, I can afford some cynicism:

If someone killed me in a road accident, the indemnification that my family would get wouldn´t be enough to buy a GTO. And if I ran over someone in a remote African country, the indemnification I would have to pay probably even wouldn´t be enough to buy an used Toyota.

Yep, we all know that human lifes are way more important than cars. But facts in the real world say quite the opposite. In the end, the sum of money of the indemnification is quite irrelevant: dead is dead, ashes to ashes, etc...