250 TDF vs 250 SWB | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 TDF vs 250 SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Jul 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'll never forget the story that Stirling Moss won the Goodwood TT in that gorgeous SWB so easily he even turned on the radio to hear the race broadcast.

The SWB is the stuff of dreams, for me, the greatest Ferrari ever made. I would take one of them - common or not - over a TdF, any day.

My dream is to have this conundrum...

2. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Steel Bodied 250GT SWB Berlinetta.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuy1hvjIUQ[/ame]

4. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Btw if you are around Gstaad I recommend driving to schoenried, taking the Jaunpass and back to Bulle and from there back to Saanen. Wonderful scenic roads to exercise a vintage car. Used to do it at lunch time before returning the car!

Now looking for sound, for sure the TDF is more race car than the SWB, specially the street version. My TDF had an Abarth exhaust, don't know if this is standard, but crisp high pitch. The 2 cams had also a raw exhaust sound, unlike the 4 cams which is very close, not surprising to the Daytona both in term of noise but also how the engine is pulling..endlessly.
    The best noise by far is the 250LM, anyone who followed me during the Tour Auto can confirm.
    High, loud, may be only a P4 is better sound, never owned one, but saw and heard one, glorious sound.
    On the other extreme the 4 cylinders cars are known for making loud noise, very loud actually, less harmonious obviously, but definitely sounding like proper race cars compared to GT cars.

5. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    What do you mean by 4 cams which is very close? As far as sound is concerned the LM is fantastic I agree (I have only heard one on Video- not in real life- I did manage to sit in an LM once- I am small and even I had difficulties getting in that thing). The 250 TR is also an impressive sound though!

The more comments I here, the more I am leaning towards a TDF (as I always have) rather than a SWB. Its more raw and I like what people are writing about it. Although looking at the Blue 250 SWB in the video above also makes me think twice though. Its a difficult choice and I think my best bet going forward is to drive both of them and then decide.
    ps: BIRA I only get to see Gstaad in christmas time but this year I might come for a WE in the summer- supposed to be marvelous and good excuse to take an old-timer up there!

6. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    #56 275GTBSaran, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    Listen to this video untill the very End! Its the last ten seconds that blow your mind away...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cviv0-FoCZI&list=FLW7kpR3r5y0FD18nCSa1czQ&index=10&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

7. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Commer was misplaced, in my experience, feeling and sound of engines of 275 GTB/4 and 365GTB/4 are very similar. While the engine of the 275 GTB/2 is cry different in feeling, revving and sound.

But ultimately your analysis is correct, the TDF is a race car, made of aluminum, very few were not raced, the Harrah car and the 14 louvres coming for sale are two I can think of. May be one or 2 more. While SWB street version are steel cars, and most of them were not raced, with few exceptions, that includes the Muller car and few others. The real comparison with the TDF should be a SWB competition, in fact it's real race successor.

Having said that, one of the most unexpected early race car, pretty surprising because almost unknown but very rewarding in the 250MM. Very well balanced when properly set up,few are, more agile than a TDF, much lighter, hence better behaving and braking better. In term of balance and agility, came second and close to SWB. And ahead of TDF. Problem is just to find one...but not impossible, 2 changed hands in last 6 month.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    250 MM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrlahTEQas[/ame]

9. loflyer47

loflyer47 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2004
    Phila. area, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I hope this helps... As it spans 34 years of my life with a TDF...I own a 1958 single louver TDF, #1127GT which I bought in 1978 and still own today. On purchasing the car in Vt. (having bought a one way ticket to get there), I drove the car some 4 1/2 hours home to Pa. spending about 1 hour in a rain storm and toward evening never figuring out how to turn the headlights on @ dusk (drove home with the driving lights and the parking lights on..only). But what a ride it was...Ran well in the rain....drove like it was supposed to...
    Over the years I have vintaged race the car in numeruous events all over the country. and it ran flawlessly. Despite earlier comments about it steering like a truck, to the contrary, the car was quite nimble...as a matter of fact, the higher the speed, the lighter the front end got....I recall going down the back straight @ Watkins Glen at 140MPH...and basically pointing the car in the correct direction as the front end was quite light in the steering. (braking..that was another thing...these Ferrari's where not made to stop...per Enzo Ferrari..You cann't win a race by slowing down...) so it was Stand on the brakes and hold on!!!!
    Through the years, my sons have taken dates to the Prom, a joy ride with a highschool teach during lunch period.. (I didn't find out about that one until years later.) Coming back from a Ferrari National meet In the 80's, in Washington DC..my transport broke down..so we pulled the TDF out of the trailer and drove "IT" home...3 hours..and again, interestingly enough, through a Lighting storm this time....
    So, as a dual purpose car...IMHO, you cann't go wrong...
    245 HP, 143 top end....2500 #'s of joy....
    I hope this helps in your quest!!!!

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #62 furmano, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    +1 250MM

Drive one back to back with a 300SL and you know why.

No car ever impressed me more than the MM.

13. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    What a memorable experience- driving a TDF through storms to get you home. Sounds like your TDF was a good companion. Thank you for the sharing this story. I am looking for a dual purpose car and a TDF seems ideal. And as far as the brakes are concerned - this is not the first time someone has posted that the brakes take some getting used too.

14. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Interesting comments concerning the 250MM. Looking at from the outside
    you never guess it would be agile than TDF. And it looks much heavier too.
    Thank you for the insight.

15. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #67 JazzyO, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I must say I am completely in love with the TdF. There was a fabulous example displayed at the Ferrari Galleria last September, according to Mr. Massini (who I bumped into) in the hands of the same family since new.

But these two show the lines beautifully too. Photos by RM Auctions.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Wow, that 0933GT is gorgeous!

Some nice movies in this thread also, I think these incredible 250 SWB (from Tour auto) movies should be shared here also. These are fast cars if you know how to drive them and have the guts for it :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgI9q61z93E[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWgxCGQhoU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dASmWPyPuYo[/ame]

17. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Talking about the sound of the TDF. Here is good video that illustrates the wonderful sound. I also like this TDF Example especially the rear. Its different. Lastly I like the color swell.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-UTfv-U2s&list=FLW7kpR3r5y0FD18nCSa1czQ&index=15&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

18. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    It is my understanding that the Boano and TDF shared all of the same mechanicals. In essence they are the same care with different body work. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

19. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I am not a Vintage Ferrari Expert but all the 250 line shared the same Engine (Colombo v12, 3L). However output varied in terms of horsepower massively. I think even a 250 TR shared
    the same Engine but the output was substantially higher of course. I quite like the Boano with the low roof line. Please I open the floor for other to comment on the differences between the Boano and TDF in terms of output and other modifications of which there are many.

20. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    Thank you. I recently purchased an alloy body Boano so I am curious about how it compares with the other 250s. Great car to drive!

21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Get the Jess Pourett book on the 250 GT Competition cars. It does a lot of details on the development of the 250 TdF through 250 GTO with the series numbers of the components. It is going to give you a great understanding of the development sequence throughout the series and should point you to some of the differences to the regular 250 street cars.

Jeff

22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Those videos of the SWB at the Tour Auto drive me nuts in the best way possible.. I'm glad someone continues to drive that car as it was made to be driven.

23. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Another GREAT book and a MUST have for any TDF lover: Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta TDF by John star key. Goes through all the series of the TDF stages 1,3, 15 Louvers and the different races won by Gendebien (my favorite all time gentlemen race driver) as well as De Portago etc. For any good book on the 250 SWB I would be grateful.