250LM | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250LM

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Moving the Cabin around.
    Still not much room for two med size guys. Also easier to get in and out of because the roof panels lift up. I got into a standard LM the other day and had to put my rear in the passenger seat and swing around to get in the drivers seat.

2. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Krasnavian. Indeed. Every Ferrari from that period was built by craftsmen, underwater. Each one as new had its own individual characteristics. As a family the GTOs struck an extremely happy chord - certainly happier than most model families - the key to which Ferrari subsequently lost for many, many years.

John Surtees's impression of the first Michael Parkes-developed 275GTB that The Old Man asked him to sample is almost unprintable.

DCN

3. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I agree. As to details, I once ordered new plexiglass side windows and they used the driver's side as a template. You might have guessed that they didn't fit the passenger side, which was a full inch shorter than the driver's side (!!).

Would that someone would!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Have very fond memories of following 6051 at Tour Auto 98 for hundreds of miles on beautiful french roads: I had to row hard to do so in a normal car but grew up on them and knew all the tricks: it was worth it though, specially through tunnels with windows down:)

5. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    For any owner who fancies unleashing his car in relative safety - driving as rapidly or as gently as his taste demands - I very much recommend the Classic Adelaide Rally in South Australia. Google 'Classic Adelaide' to see what it's all about. Over the past ten years we have run a variety of Ferraris in the event - GTO, SWB, GTB/C and LWB Cal Spider - and the beautifully surfaced roads through stunning countryside offer the best tarmac-stage Rally-cum-tour in the world. What prompts this is the notion of winding down the windows to hear a V12 Ferrari through a tunnel. One of the greatest stages of the Adelaide event is run past Kangaroo Creek reservoir (wouldn't you know it?) on Gorge Road. This winding, sweeping, 100-plus mph charge is like being let loose in a playroom. Since the whole activity echoes and re-echoes from the towering rock faces of the gorge itself the end result is stupendous. One onlooker raved about it being simply 'aural' sex.

DCN

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I know all about aural sex:)

There are two aspects to it: the well known tunnel or gorge effect:

I first experienced that in more prosaic machinery at Snetterton huh 21 years ago in Formula Fords: when two engines of the same specification are revving constantly at the same rpm close to each other, ie following one another at top speed then the engine sounds mix and meld (is that a proper verb?! oh well I will help myself to some poetic licence) so at Snetterton following another FFord very closely on the pit straight I heard it and was at first somewhat alarmed as though my block was about to be attacked by its own conrods trying to escape. The noise instead of of vrooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm became wawawwwaaawwaaawaaww the two sounds were merging and the effect was very interesting.

Fast forward 11 years and I am following the infamous Bill Noon in his 500TRC V12 (yes V12) in pontoon fendered TR 0748 for a Cavallino article: I had driven 0748 the day before in a road rally in the mountains north east of san Diego and we were now heading from La Jolla to the Torrey Pines hilllclimb. We found ourselves in a narrow canyon at dawn on a sunday morning with no one around and Bill was in a hurry but who was I to argue: there at one point the two engine sounds merged and wow 24 cylinders of aural sex...make that aurgasm!

Marc

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #32 wbaeumer, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Doug,
    I drove #6217 at the Nuerburgring area when it was with Hartmut Ibing and I can`t agree more with your oppinions. The car is VERY cramped inside and the driving position "strange" to say it at least. Also the gearbox is quite a challenge - even when you are used to non-synchro boxes! Compared to the LM the GTO is like a truck and demands much less drivers skills than the mid engine car. What did Michael Sheehan say? "The GTO makes bad drivers look fast - but it needs a VERY good driver to be fast in an LM". But ...what a fantastic car! Here are 2 pics of #6217!

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A 250LM photographed in a breakers yard?!

Do you do nude shoots in septic tanks?!

You ruined my day: I declare war restarted;-)

9. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    A visual representation of survival of the fittest :)

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ....Yes! Because 99,9% of all photogaphers would NOT!
    ....Yes! I worked many times for PLAYBOY. I took nudes in "septic tanks" and by hanging under a helicopter over NYC.
    ....well...you had a bad day? OK, I had many perfect ones (with nudes and great cars! So, top that!) in my live as you can read above.....(and I drove the LM back to the `Ring after taking those shots!).

Ciao!
    Walter

11. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Hello Sir

I saw your 365 gts last year at cavallino on the carpark, that car made my day, I think it was one of greatest LOOKS that week in Florida.
    I was hoping there was a local owner there with that car so I dropped a businescard on the seat, only was told later by MM that it was yours and not on the market.
    But still I enjoyed looking at it.
    Thanks for bringing it to Cavallino.

Tony

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello sorry not to have met you at Retromobile as we had discussed but staying in Florida an extra month was an easy decision as I have my work with me: I am sure there will be another occasion!

13. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    We'll find a way!

14. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    I remember your business card on the seat at Cavallino. I was flattered and amused. The car was delivered to the breakers after Motion Products rebuilt the motor. I resisted any cosmetic re due. I guess many looked at my 365gts, since it is original rough condition, and thought the owner must not be able to buy a paint job. So at Cavallino, I found the car full of unsolicited low ball offers on business cards. Two reasons I keep the car in this condition; it's like an old pair of levis - old black leather and top. Very comfortable to drive around. Nobody bothers me or the car. Its nice to drive a Ferrari without a big flashy statement and it's a cool look. I drive it daily. It's my favorite car.

15. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Thanks for the advert Doug. I've done the event 3 times in my 356 cabriolet and loved it every time. If they hadn't increased the cost of the touring section by 67% last year I'd have made it 4 in a row. We're very spoilt for fantastic driving roads here in Adelaide.

Oh, and thanks to all for sharing the LM and GTO driving experiences. Please keep them coming.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Always nice to see an unrestored car: at Cavallino there was this 330GT2+2, light blue with FCA national mmet stickers from the Glen in the late seventies: what a pleasant and unexpected sight! Happy driving to you!

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Great thread, with the LM being my favourite F-car of all time.

It'd be great to see some more pics, especially of all thye small differences between the various cars. \i am also not familiar with an LM with a larger cabin (and roof panels? I thought that was just the destroyed #1 LM?)

Seeing David Piper's car here in South Africa was good; I knew the car from the early eighties (albeit in a different colour) when it was already racing in the classic scene then. Must be the LM with the highest mileage in the world?

Happy motoring,

Jack.

18. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    Jack- see thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109016

or

www.***************.com/car/2736/Ferrari-250-LM-Pininfarina-Stradale-Speciale.html

(try connecting "ultimate" and "carpage" for the URL)

mroz owns the one and only 250LM Stradale (white with blue stripe- see pics in thread above) Was built by Pininfarina, they took some liberties with the dimensions (hence the extra 10 cm) and added a large rear window, which IMO makes this car easily the most beautiful LM ever (helps diminish the 'heavy' look the stock cowl- rear window treatment creates)

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    We hear about cloned 250 GTOs and replica P4s,.... but are there any 250LM recreations? I'm not talking about 90% restorations around a serial number tag, but total recreations with no pretense of being a pseudo-original. And if there are/were any 250LM replicas, are they aluminum or fiberglass bodies? Everybody raves about the 250GTO, but if I could have an aluminum or fiberglass bodied clone of either one, I would take the 250LM.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I was standing in front of an LM at Concorso Italiano about 10 years ago with Gerald Roush and he said: they built 32 and there are only 40 left!:)

Now I hasten to say that if 32 is not the number that is my mistake not Geralds.

One LM got destroyed several times and I gather it became several cars, sorry I am not more specific but that is all I recall.

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kitcar_details.php?284

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I should have read the question better before answering off track!

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Never heard of that one. They show no info as to who made it either. VW running gear? Ugggghhhhh!!! And they wonder why people hate kit cars.

Update. Found some info:
    "It's a Ferrari 250 LM Replica, called the RAWLSON 250 LM. My Uncle used to produce them as kit cars in the 70's based on a beetle floor plan. He then sold the rights to produce it to a guy I bought the kit from and to tiger cars, but they use a spaceframe chassis and RSTurbo engines." Another pic at this link: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C28622?pt=pf

Like most kit car derivitives, it looks a little "goofy" and not quite as swoopy as the original.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Horsefly,

There are a few original Ferrari engines now powering creations that look like 250LM's ... there was even a picture of one from a museum on this site that I remember. It was blue.

The good thing is that a replica of a 250LM is a heck of a lot harder to make from a 250GT 2+2 than a GTO ... now one can see why the FIA kicked Ferrari out :D.

I must admit every other day or so I think about building a alloy replica of a 250LM ... with an Alfa Romeo 3.0 v6 engine ... but it's a heck of a lot of work and I could be doing other things.
    Pete

25. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    Check out the top of page 4 of the thread I posted earlier.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109016&page=4

Drogo-style longnose, blue...Marcel ID'd the S/N lower on the same thread. Don't know much about it, but a cool car.

Given that many re-creations start on a GT- style front-engined platform, it's easy to see why a GTO, TR, or Cali Spyder get knocked off. Building one of these little mothers would take some serious fabrication cojones- there's no platform to start from that was mass-produced. Unless you'd start from a Dino...but even then, it might be easier to start from scratch.

PS: Mr. G....Loving that you have "MadAboutKitCars" bookmarked ;)