288GTO, F40, F50, ENZO how long does it take | Page 2 | FerrariChat

288GTO, F40, F50, ENZO how long does it take

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Mark(study), Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You really cant look at it that way because if you took the turbos off of an F40, it would be a dog. The motor is built to run turbos, so this means low compression, cams with different overlap, fuel maps to prevent the from going lean, etc. Without the forced induction, it would simply run like it was on 4 cylinders. Also, this comparison is stock for stock, with the exception of new rubber on the F40.

2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    It's my opinion hardly anyone has the skill to drive an F 40 at its limit. The lucky ones who own one would likely be the first to agree. So there really is a limiting factor on how much improvement cars of the future can make on street performance; that limit being the driver. In the real world, all the test track numbers don't mean a thing.

I remember when 0-60 MPH under 8 seconds was fast. Lots of room to improve though. Skid pad at .90 Gs? Oohhh race car cornering! These days, an Acura will do that; the bar is much raised. 0-60 under 4 seconds is supercar territory and will never be "slow" like the 308's of the past are today. No normal production Ferrari will ever touch an Enzo.

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So when a company like Honda talks about its next NSX and making it easier to drive faster... can we over-come high speed problems with more technology?

I know this is no fun. I'd rather have a car that feels fast at 90mph
    than a car that makes 210mph driveable for the average weekend racer.

Porsche does the same thing Honda does,…takes the feel out of going fast or pushing car to the edge. Has the 360 done this to some extent or 575?

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    That's the reason why people love the 308's so much. They drive and handle like go-karts. You feel everything driving a 308. Modern technology cars take all the fun out of driving.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

If you read what i wrote, i said SEVERAL F40's and Stradale, not just ONE GUY in an F40

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Manu, you are possibly right about a novice being faster in a 360 due to all the driver aids, but i was under the impression that we were talking about how fast these things could go on a track, so I'd imagine a very experienced driver doing the testing! I can't imagine a Ferrari test driver, for example, not being able to handle the boost, lack of ABS or lack of traction control. I could, and I'm just a novice. Anyway, unfortunately we'll probably never really know.

9. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe I can help. I have a 360, I have a 360CS and then I have the real deal, a 360C and I have an F40. the F40 is in a whole different class than ANY 360. the 360 and 360CS are so close its not funny. the 360C is off the hook compared to the CS. comparing the 360 anything to an F40? might as well compare the 308 to the Enzo. they are different cars.

360 ? fun if its a 6 speed, if F1, very boring.
    360CS ? fun just because of the noise other than that kinda same car.
    360C F1, incredibly fun on the track and very quick. on the street...its off the hook.
    F40 ? track or street its violant. and only should be run with no cats and straight pipes like mine.

10. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    It is great that some owners of the cars in question have responded, however, there is a glaring absence of hard data. Why hasn't anyone posted the lap times for the cars at Fiorano?

I searched for them for a little while and this is the best I could find. I believe all of the numbers used were provided by the factory. According to an "Autoweek" article in the May 31st, 1999 issue, the 360 lapped Fiorano in 1'30". In the May 6th, 2002 issue, it says that the F40's record was 1'29". August 12th, 2002: Enzo's record was stated to be in the 1'25" range. They go on to say that it is fully five seconds clear of the F50's time.

I'll let everyone here who is debating the speed of the cars do the math and draw your own conclusions.

Greg A

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    And the 360 CS is 3.5 s faster than the 360 around Fiorano, as quoted in several articles on the 360 CS.
    So, that makes the 360CS only 1.5s slower than the Enzo and 2.5s faster than an F40 and 3.5s faster than an F50!
    Somehow, I don't think so... unless we are on very different rubber.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You haven't taken into account that the track is now different to 1989, standard P zeros are better than 1989 and the 360CS is on Pirelli Corsa which is probably worth 3 seconds or so a lap all by itself! If you have a look at the new circuit layout, you can see easily why the lap times would be much lower now. Like I said, we'll probably never really know.

13. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Tim... 1st of all, you have an insane collection!!! :) Congrats!

Now by your experience, which car would you say it could lap faster a medium-standard (fiorano-like?) track? I guess that's the core of this thread and you might help.

Surely there's someone here with nice contacts in Ferrari to know at least the official laptimes of these cars???

14. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Garretto:

it would be close. the 360C would win on a tight course. on a more open course the F40 would win. only reason for this is the 360C brakes are awesome.

the 360 and 360C would not even be close to the 360C. 360 CS is just a boy racer 360. kinda like the corvette Z06, or Viper ACR.

15. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Tim, was your 360C the one that Ferrari NA accidentally gave you an MSO, allowing you to register it on the street, wihch i remember from the old board? If so, is there any particular reason why you have 3 360's, especially 2 that are pretty similar?

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If F1 cars were unrestricted, they would be eminently drivable. They would, however, be completely different animals than those prowling the track today.

Imagine, if you can, the front and rear wings placing the aero forces directly on the hubs--this greatly softens the spring rates required to keep the car off the ground. Underbody venturies holding the chassis on the ground with movable rudders to trim the forces--more force in turns, less force on straights. Full slicks, large wheels for bigger brakes.

17. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Just a little side note about using Fiorano lap times...
    The track was changed a bit in 1992 from it's original 1972 design.

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Mitch, I agree with what you said. Why I mentioned they would be undriveable is because of the insane speeds they would reach. If they are over 200mph in the straights on some tracks, what would they be doing with full slicks....250+?

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The problem would be G forces. As the cancelled IRL race in Texas demonstrated, drivers cannot always take the G forces the cars can generate. Just because the car could take a corner at a speed is no guarantee anyone could actually drive it.

20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    That's the point right there.

21. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    any reason I have three 360's? because I can I guess. yes they are similar but they are also different. they are each fun in their own way. I love the six speed the most on the street and the challenge the most on the track. 360CS is kinda goofy and not worth the premium in my opinion for what thats worth. I seem to have a lot of things in double and triple for some reason. need to sell some stuff.

I also have a 360 spyder, an F40, and that new model.... cant remember the name.. it starts with an E....anyway. also have 2 chevy 2500HD's, crew cab, short bed, deisel trucks ( these too are very similar to each other) also have chevy 1500HD, crew cab, 6.0. mazda 323 GTX rally car, race viper, race mustang, 5 shifter karts (two are exactly the same) three motorhomes (very similar to each other) two box trailers (not similar to each other as one is a stacker and the othe isnt), chevy pre-runner truck, chevy Trophy Truck (worth more than the F40) sand rail (much quicker than the F40), offroad class one car, sl55, x5, escalade, 5 quads,6 motorcycles, and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember right now. and ya tooooo many 360's.

22. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003

it seems like with any special edition ferrari you need outstanding driving skill to handle the car. with the F40 it seems as if the car is a monster that lets you know where the limit is. with the Enzo its almost a complete opposite where you can't feel it's limit, but if you could you would have to be an outstanding driver to really get there. maybe that was the intent in designing these cars. to make the limits so high that you'd have to be MS himself to find out where they are.

as for the F1 G forces issue, it's not a tough problem to overcome. it's more of a safety issue than anything. hitting something while in a turn pulling 4Gs would be quite an accident. a normal human can withstand up to 4Gs before passing out, with training you can take a little bit more. with a G-suit you can take up to 6, combine that with training and you can get up to 9. we've reached a point where we are only limited by how much the human body can withstand, our technology is no longer the limiting factor.

23. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Technology marches on Guys...... With Traction control, ABS, Bigger brakes and an F1 transmission it wouldn't suprise me that a Stradale would beat an F40 around a race track. The worse the driver, the bigger the gap. But as far as top speed and FUN to drive.... F40 all the way.
    I drive my ZR-1 Corvette every day. My Z06, although quicker, sits in the garage. Boring to drive. Too much technology. I take the F40 out a couple times a week to put the smile on! On a track at the limits, I would guess *I* would be faster in my Z06.

Rick

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would take the F40 over the 360CS in a heart beat. The CS is ok, I looked in 1 & they have CF on the door panels & center console & seats. Everything else is covered in heavy alcantra leather. Why the H did they do that? What they should have done was leave the leather off the rear bulkhead, the seats & installed a CF dash, That would have been much more tricked out & lighter

Ferrari always says that their new car is faster around Fiorano than their older car but you take an F40 & a 360CS to Watkins Glen with the same tires & = drivers & the F40 is going to do a Horizon job on the 360 CS :)

25. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks William. finally. the CS is really no big deal. its the Z06 of the 360. comparing it to the F40 isnt even worth this thread.