288GTO, F40, F50, ENZO how long does it take | Page 3 | FerrariChat

288GTO, F40, F50, ENZO how long does it take

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Mark(study), Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Tim, I run this wannabe-Enzo-register:

http://www.enzoregister.barchetta.cc

Would you like to contribute with your Enzo s/n , colours, etc? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Rodolfo

2. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    I thought it was a 2.8 engine? - Regardless - still an amazing car!! :)

I remeber the first time I opened the drivers door on a F40 - I nearly pulled the door off it's hinges where it was so light!!

Paul

3. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    thanks Garretto but I dont want to register it and dont want anyone to know it. just better that way.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was at lunch with Dario Benuzzi last month in Modena. The subject of F40 vs 360CS lap times at Fiorano came up. He said the CS is faster, and his personal opinion is that it is mostly the technically refined chassis/suspension package, and the carbon brakes.

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    That's what I thought, but I guess Jeremy felt like rounding. Having never opened an F40 door, I can't compare, but I do believe you!

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wouldn't expect a Ferrari employee to say anything else, quite frankly.

7. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    Well, I guess a Supercar is not all about speed. Handling, look, balance, and most of all Pride play a lot of parts in such cars. Speed is only some sort of number people can easily relate to. I'll choose 288GTO over anything it's put against knowing full well that its numbers may not be as comparable, but the CAR does look and feel every ounce a Supercar.

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You obviously haven't heard the man speak. He's been around so long he doesn't need to pull any punches. Look, the F40 was conceived almost 18 years ago. The 0-60 times are similair to the CS, plus your dealing with turbo-lag. You don't think the phenominal refinement of the chassis' since then and the carbon brakes don't make the CS a faster track car than the F40? Of course it does. The difference in lap times does get smaller as the skill level of the driver increases. The CS is an easier car to drive at the limit than the F40.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Having spent some decent time behind the wheel of an F40 and the 360, I really don't think that you can compare the two. I would take an F40 any day over a 360 CS as far as actual driving is concerned. The F40 is so raw and untamed. It's a total beast. I suppose it's somewhat analagous to trying to ride a tiger. Even just tooling through downtown in the F40 feels like so much more than driving a regular car. It's a feeling that almost no other car can match. When I first got behind the wheel of an F40, what kept coming most to mind was my old Formula Ford race car.

As far as arguments for the 360CS or regular 360, I suppose that when it comes to going to out to dinner with the wife and parking it somewhere, or maneuvering around town, etc. then that may be something that you can't argue as well for with the F40.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Tim, do you remember how your F40 sounded when it was stock ? Is it much louder ? and is there a noticeable increase in power ?
    The F40 with tubis doesnt sound as an F40 should sound, thats why im asking .

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well, the tiger analogy made me realize something; I need a 360 AND an F40. They are two very different animals. When it comes down to comparing lap times, the neighborhood kid's v-tec powered civic would probably outlap a 50's grand prix car at the Nurburgring. The beauty of it all is there are so many options and so little time (I mean, so little money).

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's exactly how I think that it should be. I think that the Ferrari expoerience is best enjoyed with a production car and a special edition car. There are many people who have several of the special cars and several production cars but I don't know how you would drive them enough to really enjoy them. The best scenario, in my mind is to have two Ferraris: one of the special models and one of the production models. Use the production model during the week and the special one on weekends and special days (track days count).

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The F40's engine is 2936cc, or 2.9 litre rounded to the nearest tenth.

It was factory rated at 478hp @7000rpm, many say it was 'underrated' at that number.

It also makes an ungodly 425lb-ft of torque at 4500rpm...

With a weight dripping wet with driver of just at 2900lbs, it's one hell of a car.

I would be astonished if a CS would beat it around practically any track on the same day.

Especially if both cars were given Pirelli or Hoosier slicks.

AFAIK, at least in a straight line, a 288GTO will kill a 360. Let alone a 355.

Best!
    Ben.