296 GTB Test drive impressions | FerrariChat

296 GTB Test drive impressions

Discussion in '296' started by ATLBond, Jul 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Test drove 296GTB yesterday at Atlanta. My impressions and opinions are in comparison to the F8 Tributo I test drove sometime back. Also had an opportunity to see F8 spider and 296GTS next to each other in the showroom after the test drive. I placed deposits for both GTB and GTS several months back.

- Bonkers lag free acceleration. Noticeably better than F8
    - Very composed ride. Felt absolutely comfortable pushing it between stop lights in traffic (excellent drama free brakes)
    - GT like comfortable ride
    - Superb sound track from the V6
    - Appears way smaller than F8; that is, smaller than the 50mm differential they say on paper. I prefer the F8 dimensions
    - Cockpit screams 21st century in a positive way. Layout looks like a fighter jet cockpit
    - Pronounced dashboard lip under passenger display from drivers seat looks odd
    - Compared to F8, 296 rear looks beautiful. However, F8 wins hands down in side and front view. Whereas F8 exudes drama, 296 appears plain. Beauty is of course in the eyes of the beholder

296 on F8 clothing, sans rear, would have been the ultimate killer combo in my books.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    Nice summation, thank you.
    In terms of width and fatness from the rear, is the 296 on par with the F8? I'm still to sight the 296 and everyone tells me it is stubbier and smaller in statue, your thoughts??

Cheers

3. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    In simplest terms, visually speaking, size wise 296 is like Honda Civic compared to F8 which looks like Accord. And that is both a positive (nimbleness) and negative (looks like plainer little brother).

jackmac likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice write up. I’m testing the car next Friday. It’ll be my first time seeing it too.

5. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Would love to hear your take on it.

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Nice report. I have not driven one, only seen in person and sat in a 296.I am hearing that the 296 brakes are a huge step forward and very Porsche like in braking. I come from Porsche GT3 cars and the brakes are better than my 488. I do like the 296 interior and am excited about the V6 (sound) and hybrid tech but the 296 body is nice smooth looking but nowhere near as exotic looking, sort of plain to me compared the the last generation on Ferrari...458-488-F8 style. Lookswise for me the Pista is still the best and the F8 and 488.

SECRET likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pista is sick. I guess in keeping the 765, which already has lots going on visually, the 296 is a nice addition imv. Softer, sleaker, more under the radar but timeless curves. The rear is also incredible in pics. If I was only going to have one, and had to choose between Pista and 296, based purely on visuals, Pista.

Gh21631 and mthompson2376 like this.
  8. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    I too come from Porsche. While Porsche stops violently, 296 stops even better but you strangely don’t feel aggression. For example, I pushed the pedal to the metal and applied brakes targeting a stopping point but ended up stopping way before and had to accelerate again (even the professional driver who accompanied me panicked thinking I was not going to stop in time). All this felt organic and drama free considering I was driving the 296 for the first time.

Power, acceleration and brakes are bonkers but you feel completely in control at all times. The first thing my 25yr old son said when he came back from the drive was how easy it was to drive the 296. Looks wise it is disappointing compared to F8 (at least to me). While the F8 / 488 / 458 look exotic, 296 is a wolf in sheeps clothing (a la Nissan GTR) and that is not good when u r plunking in excess of 400k ☹️. I sincerely hope the looks will grow on me by the time I get the car.

9. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Agree.

10. jackmac

jackmac Rookie

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks OP for the nice summary. I am starting dig the looks of the GTS a bit more than the GTB, for some reason, the GTS looks a bit more aggressive and sleeker with the top down. I have yet to see both in real life, do you feel the same way?

11. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Very true. GTS definitely has more character than GTB. Having said that, the large glass lid over GTB engine compartment is beautiful (a feature missing in F8). GTS glass lid is small as the roof stowaway compartment comes in the way. This is only a small miss in an otherwise nice package. Put it this way: if GTS was going to be delivered around the same time as GTB, I wouldn't have bothered to put a deposit down for GTB. It looks better and performance penalty is minimal. PS: F8 spider next to the GTS was still stealing the show :(

TR007 and jackmac like this.
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would say the angled roofline of the GTB looks more "aggressive," while the GTS' winged buttress is definitely sleeker and more beautiful.

I've been telling all of my friends [who could] to order one, because I'm convinced that the GTS will sell out. Having an order is a fairly safe bet, either you love the car and keep it, or you sell it back to [or through] the dealer and pocket a healthy profit.

jackmac likes this.
  13. jackmac

jackmac Rookie

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks for the comment, I think if I can't get a confirmed order for the F8, I will probably move my deposit to a GTS.

ryalex likes this.
  14. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    They closed order books on F8 last Oct in Atlanta. Are they still accepting order for F8 at your dealership? Where do u live?

ryalex likes this.
  15. jackmac

jackmac Rookie

Aug 4, 2005
    OP your right, I submitted my order and deposit right around the time they closed their books. I am from California

ryalex likes this.
  16. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Can we merge this with the "296 Test Drive" thread ?

LVP488 likes this.
  17. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    296 is useable power

18. mgr201

mgr201 Rookie

May 8, 2022
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I too found the 296 smaller in person than the actual dimensions suggest. I also found it a bit plain. In fact, i am long legged and I found it more challenging to get into and out of than the 458/488/F8 cars— maybe a smaller door?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  20. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    I just received my F8 I ordered last year to “hold my over” until receiving the GTB I originally put a deposit down.
    I’m now not as interested in the GTB for several reasons mentioned in prior posts.

21. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    It really depends on what you want from the car. 296 is the future and is better in every measurable performance metric compared to the F8 except looks and that is subjective. F8 is gorgeous, 296 is plain; seems to be the consensus among actual prospective buyers like us. Critics overwhelmingly are praising the new 296 design language as if it is the best thing to happen since sliced bread.

22. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Fair enough.
    They will sell all of them--especially now that F8 is done.
    When I bake in +$40,000 comparable cost to F8 and hybrid tech that is early in the curve, I come up luke warm on the rational side of the equation, as well.
    I had a first gen Tesla Model S. By the time I sold it 3 years later, the hardware of the new model had advanced substantially--and continues to do so. Denser batteries are on the horizon.

Coincid likes this.
  23. Autolink_IT

Autolink_IT Rookie

Apr 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Rizzo
    What about the RWD vs AWD?

24. RJW599

RJW599 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Watson
    I thoroughly enjoyed my test drive in the 296 a few weeks ago. Acceleration was instantaneous from the EV system, braking was excellent, transmission was flawless and the steering placed the car exactly where you wanted to be. Compared to my 488 Spider interior seems smaller and car overall is smaller. Still comfortable in any event for my 6’1” frame. Not a fan of the new fully digital panel. Especially missed the big, red start/stop button. All a matter of individual taste of course. I understand that this car will replace the 488 in Ferrari racing plan. EV system will be removed in order to qualify for normal racing classifications. Should be a very competitive if not simply THE race platform in various series. Major issue for me would be that expected cost for the Spider version of the 296 would be roughly $80,000 increase in MSRP over my cost for 488 Spider from 2017. The way of the world for sure but not enough performance increase for me to want to exchange 488 for 296. Wonderful car though and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone interested in joining the Ferrari world.

25. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I personally love the whole concept of the v6 on the 296. I think the car is super beautiful, I love the F8. But just to support Ferrari I would go with the 296 and give it a try. You can always sell if you get tired of it. We use to trade them every 8 months back in the '70's. We always wanted the newest thing ferrari put out. In 1974 we bought a 246, then when the V8 mid engine 308 GT4 came out we got that, then the next year we ordered the new 308 GTB from FAF in 1976, it was the fiberglass version. But back then it was all about the driving, we had no thoughts of anything being a collectible. The older stuff from the 60's were impossible to keep parts for and running. Lots of people put corvette engines , which seems strange now. But back then the market was not flush with parts and people who could work on them.
    Why not play around with a 6 cyl for a bit. I love the HP.