296 GTB Test drive impressions | Page 4 | FerrariChat

296 GTB Test drive impressions

Discussion in '296' started by ATLBond, Jul 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This will be #5 'banana boat'
    F8 currently for sale at dealer with 1203 miles. As new.
    296 ETA? Who knows?:rolleyes:

ryalex, Caeruleus11 and Jeffg11 like this.
  2. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    So you sell your F8 to get a 296? Wow.. what convinced you?

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The test drive

wthensler, RamsHmb and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the drive but back in the F8.... maybe I should give it another try? ;)

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well I would never tell anyone what they should do, particularly when it comes to a car purchase.
    But for me, and I do love my F8, but the test drive in the 296 removed my skepticism about V6/hybrid.
    But that's just me. Someone else may have a totally different POV.

paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I test drove the 296 GTB a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of speccing a 296 GTS.

I was concerned about the sound and the cockpit size and have to say I was impressed with both. More space than in my 812 GTS and the sound was great. I realize the GTS will have marginally less space that the GTB but will still be fine.

Caeruleus11 and RamsHmb like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Mdrums- Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will offer you
    296 test drives.

buddyg and mdrums like this.
  8. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had my test drive in Fiorano last week. I did drive with a couple of fast and powerful cars but this is kind of a gocart. I did never drive on the Fiorano track before but going quick / fast there is a very easy task with the 296. the steering is very precise. Very easy to turn the car into and out of the curves. Accelerating out of the curves is just awesome with and without electric aid. Just a fantastic car, but its a partly electric car which i actually dont like. So what do I do then ?

ryalex likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How is that possible? The electric element is supposed to be always active.

10. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I meant electric helpers.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Oh, you mean the electronic driving aids. Okay, thank you for clarifying it.

12. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    #87 rxbg, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Finally drove it. My 2 cents -short and sweet

Second time seeing in person and photos never do it justice. Though it doesn’t carry crazy lambo styling it stands out just as much and looks like a spaceship from behind when it is on the road.

Also- a little personal background. I have had 4 R8’s and like to track my cars. I drive in track mode all the time on the street. And I like to go fast.

Drove both a standard 296 and an AF with Carbon Wheels back to back for 30 min each. Both equipped with the 4S tires. Drove them hard- both were in qualifying and race modes. The AF car is definitely more responsive and feels quicker. The only problem I have with this comparison is that the AF car has the CF wheels which have a significant unsprung weight impact on the handling of the car. I believe the DSSV multimatic dampers do much more than i thought, however. They are pretty amazing. And the difference can and will be felt EVEN MORE when driving hard. IF ONLY they had put in the TASV- updated multimatics that the Purosangue has- wow. Those add an electric motor that can add more control to the programming and hence eliminate the need for anti roll, etc......

The drive was extremely nimble and quick in both cars but subjectively better in the AF car. Felt at home right away in both. Coming from the R8 I was shocked to feel that the 296 almost feels like it has awd as it has so much front end grip. It also feels lighter than my R8, but weighs nearly the same.

Extremely fast. But it needs that battery power. Even in performance you can feel the difference when the battery is not on all the time.

The bottom line is that this car is like an R8- it is a daily drivable super car. And it is so smooth it doesn’t seem to be as fast as it really is. The engine sound piped by magic into the cabin was one of the best parts- it was 8o% as loud as my Soul exhausted R8 with the windows up (in Qualifying/Race)! This was a relief for me. Unfortunately, the exhaust is not the war cry the Soul is when you roll the windows down- but you cannot have everything. It is a V6 after all.

I can’t wait to track this car. I predict 6:54 on the ring.

Caeruleus11, ryalex and JohnCorpus like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Test drove the 296 at my Ferrari dealer today. The aesthetics definitely become more appealing the more it is viewed and especially in sunlight. The driving dynamics of the car are uncannily duplicated by its appearance. In other words, it drives in accordance with how it looks. Sophisticated, understated, coherent and attractive without being bellicose. The car was driven solely in Race - Qualify modes which is the most balls to the wall available. Instantly striking was how composed, and compliant the car drove. On public roads that were not particualy flat, the 296 created the sensation of pavement that was exceptionally smooth. There was an absence of roughness or road imperfections.The suspension absorbed any surface anomilies to an amazing degree. Immediately impressive was the ferocity of the speed that was characterized by virtual instant response to the depression of the accelerator pedal. Turbo lag has essentially been banished. Equally impressive was the seamless integration of the hybrid system. The 296 is unquestonsable and observably quicker than the F8 and the Pista. Furthermore, it always maintained its composure in straight line speed. However, at high speed cornering, this was not the case. The car exhibited some skittishness and squirrely behaviour but quickly recovered. It was almost as if this was an intended party trick to add some excitement.

The 296 is a civilized creature that offers much in terms of stellar objective driving characteristics. Steering is precise but is a tad on the loose side of the pendulum and is not as direct nor with the feedback of some other super cars. The suspension is tailored to be smooth, compliant and civilize the outside environment. Refinement is a word which constantly comes to mind when driving the 296. The sound of the engine is tonally pleasing but for many, the quantity of volume will prove deficient. The F8 and the Pista certainly offer a more robust and voluminous soundtrack.

The interior is compact but not cramped. It is a hospitable and comfortable place to be. The complexity of the steering wheel is distracting. More of the functions should be positioned on the dash.

The 296 is a highly competent, blisteringly fast, attractive super car that is exceedingly comfortable, refined and can be competently enjoyed by any experienced driver, not only a seasoned super car enthusiast. It would be a perferct choice for a daily driver. For those who demand more rawness, immersion and intimate connectivity between car and driver, they would be disappointed.

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Bought my 488 from John at Lauderdale. I was down last week on business but couldn’t get over to the store. I need to go stop in this weekend at Tampa and see if they will give me a ride or let me drive. I bet if I asked maybe begged…lol…they’d give me a ride.

I sat in the 296 at the launch and leg room was ok and foot placement and room was better than my 488 but shoulder room and head room much worse than my 488. I’m 6’5” 230 not skinny not fat bigger tall guy. Ugh! LOL.

Not sure how sold on the 296 looks I am. I’m not craving it but I think the wheels are weak looking and wheels can really change some cars.

When a car dealer/sales guy treats me right, shows me options on getting into a different car I usually find a way to make it happen.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I much prefer the Pista. More immersive, compelling and engaging with enhanced connectivity between car and driver.

Caeruleus11 and mdrums like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 296 is well suited as a comfortable, ultra fast, capable daily driver. Unfortunately, it has limited cargo space.It is not a track weapon due to its highly compliant suspension, and mass which are responsible for compromising its handling and grip during high speed cornering.

17. mbovaird

mbovaird Rookie

Jul 6, 2015
    Took it for a drive twice here in Tampa last week. Nice car. Very quick. Nice updated interior. Styling might be a bit too different for my tastes and there is something just wrong about a plug in Ferrari IMO.

If I was shopping for my first F car and I valued the latest tech, solid build quality, stability, quickness over sound, visceral feeling of a NA engine, this would be an option.

That being said, if I was getting a 6 cylinder turbo, it would be a 992 TS: faster and $200K less expensive. And, if I was shopping for a new Ferrari, it would be the Roma. Love that car.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t trade my 458 Spider even up for the 296 GTB. Just saying….

For the price difference, I can keep my 458 Spider and add a 992 Turbo S or preowned Roma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Coincid, Tony91505, buddyg and 2 others like this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I cannot tell regarding high speed cornering, since both tracks I drove the 296 on have only relatively slow corners (typically one needs a long track to get the opportunity for fast corners). But on these slow corners, Ferrari really made magic to hide the weight - that was really a big surprise.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The car is grippy in slow cornering, even at high speeds. Hard cornering at high speeds causes the rear wheels to loose control with the car shimming rapidly. The nannies do intervene rather quickly to mitigate the loss of control without driver input.

20. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    For me it's a very good daily; not a track car.

mdrums and Coincid like this.
  21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    After all, it carries its destiny in its name: Gran Turismo Berlinetta, GTB. That doesn't sound like a racetrack rocket...

22. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    most people only have the skills to drive powerful cars like these at 5/10th. for those people a civic si is more than enough. for purposes of everything else. this is more than enough.

i've never met a 720s or 765 LT driver that has EVER tracked their car. that says it all. same goes for Ferrrai also- i suppose.

sure some of these people show up once for a dealer sponsored track day with a few pairs of extra underwear. for most people any such a car is a thrill to learn at 5/10ths. and that is what matters.

23. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    What almost every Speciale owner said when the Pista came out. :)

IvanRico likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #99 Coincid, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    I do not own either of those 2 cars. My preference is based solely on the fact that the driving dynamics of the Pista is more thrilling with far greater feedback between the car and driver. The 296, with the exception of speed, is a very comfortable, compliant and objectively capable car but simultaneously, detaches the driver from the machine and insulates the external environment from the car instead of connecting it. The civility and the ease of driving the 296 not only on a regular road at sensible speeds but also at high speeds in vacant industrial areas, surprised me. Many will find the car comports beautifully for those with a predilection just described. Others who seek a more compelling, rawer and involving experience will not be as enthused.

rpmtifosi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I drove SF90 and 296GTB back-to-back today and preferred the 296 :confused:

SECRET, j09333, Jo Sta7 and 2 others like this.