296 Test Drive | FerrariChat

296 Test Drive

Discussion in '296' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I'll be quite honest I was not sure what to expect having watched a few of the videos and read the odd article but I would perhaps say the view of the normal car guy is perhaps always a bit different so maybe my observations need to be taken in that context.

Styling and Overall Look
    Very subjective but I really like it. In pictures the car can appear to be quite odd from some angles but in person the overall styling comes together quite nicely. Lots of historic inspiration here which I really liked, 250 LM, 248P, Dino and 308 Rainbow are some of the inspirations I noted.
    Lots of lovely details like the intakes below the lights which do not show up on photographs too well in my opinion.
    The engine lid is also a work of art in my opinion, best appreciated when it is closed.

Getting into the car and Cabin
    Small thing, the door handle is somewhat different to the F8 and similar to the Roma, there is a certain sense of occasion here which reminded me a bit of a 355, the shape of the door and the way it curves is also stunning and I noticed this immediately.
    Getting into the car is fairly easy but I am happy to report it does seem to be a bit lower than the 488 and F8 but I may be imagining this, again sense of occasion.
    The cabin itself is roomy without feeling huge, I am fairly tall and was able to find a comfortable seating position very quickly and the seats themselves seem to mounted a bit lower than I remember then being in the 488. Basic cabin architecture is something between a F8 and a Roma with hints of SF90. I feared the steering wheel would be another Roma type affair where I ended up pushing buttons I did not intend to but this was not the case.

View out of the car is very good in all directions especially the back, the view of the rear reminding me of a 246 Dino.

The cabin materials seem good though I was not particularly taken with the paddles which just did not feel that good, I think carbon paddles would be a must. These seats were the standard seats look good and provide good support.

Driving
    This is the important part right! Thumb the engine start button and you can either go into hybrid mode, ev mode, race mode or qualifying mode. I had never driven an EV before so thought out well why not try this out (I promise I will keep this part brief), what an eerie feeling, a Ferrari that does not make a sound. This lasted for all of 500 metres and then it was hybrid mode when allows the engine to run when needed but this did not last long either I went to qualifying mode which gives all 819 bhp.

I also took it out of auto because I do not enjoy driving Ferrari's in auto mode.

Engine response is superb, event short shifting a low rpm the car feels very quick, the V6 is musical even low down the rev range and there is zero turbo lag at all, the hybrid system contributing to superb tractability.

Flex the right foot and response is instant and the acceleration vivid, even changing at 5000 rpm, its a constant challenge to manage gaps to traffic because such is a ferocity that it accelerates that gaps which appeared large disappear fast!

The engine sounds superb, a howl that changed pitch noticeably the higher one gets in the rev range, when there was enough space I did take it to just short of 8000 rpm and to me it sounds fantastic, on lift off you get some gurgling and a few pops, in this respect it reminded me of early 458's.

Gear changes are lightening fast both up and down the box, I did put in 8th gear at around 90 km/h and accelerate and it accelerated well. Brakes are very good, hard braking and down changing did not seem to upset the balance of the car. How fast did I go, well lets just say driving a 296 will be an exercise in restraint! Fast enough to say stability at higher speeds seems to be very good.

I did not get to take too many corners but the go cart like agility is present here and the steering to me has good weight so its easy to place the car where you want it, like most Ferrari's now the steering rack is very fast but I like this.

I did not use too much of the tech but its all there and the steering wheel controls seem to work very well. One particular thing stood out was how much of an experience this car was, whether chasing 8000 rpm or sitting in traffic accelerating into gap or cruising.

One thing to add the Heads Up Display works very well!

Conclusion
    This is such a different car to the F8 and 488 that in my view it cannot be compared to either but rather seen as a new alternative, I thought I'd miss the V8 and part of me does but I love the sound and response of this new V6 and Ferrari have worked hard to make this an emotive engine, to me they have truly delivered in this respect.

As a package the 296 is really superb, I can imagine over a mountain pass or on a track this car would really deliver a thrill but having said that, fire up that V6 and that too is a thrill.

I'd go as far as to say the 296 would compliment any of the V8 engine cars.

yuan, Gh21631, gds7368 and 57 others like this.
  2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Very nice write-up, thanks for sharing your experience.

Jim

docf and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. landasia

landasia Rookie

Jul 21, 2020
    SoCal
    Cant wait to get in a semi car soon! Thank you for the great and detailed write up

4. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    this is one of the best reviews I’ve come across in a very long time, superior to most professionally written test drive reviews I’ve read in many leading car magazines.

5. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    What a fantastic review, best one I have read yet, and coming from a fellow enthusiast it means so much more than from the journalists, you managed to cover all the important points, thanks for putting this all together.!

6. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Thank you for posting this! Great info and detail!

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the kind words. I do write about cars as a bit of a hobby and its fun to try and touch on the things I think really matter. One thing I left out which perhaps does not matter for some but is a big departure is the interior door handle, these handles have been a variation of the the same thing since the 308 and the 296 does away with that rather chunky and solid handle in favour of a button, a bit of a pity but I guess it does mean a very clean inner door panel design.

Another thing I was able to try, was to see how the car worked when it came to driveways and what we call here speed bumps, raised sections of road designed to apparently calm traffic. I'd say unless one has a very steep driveway the front lift may not be needed at all, the genius here is that the front overhang is very short so grounding is likely to be less of an issue.

gds7368, F2003-GA, of2worlds and 7 others like this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for the fantastic write up!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

paulchua likes this.
  9. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    I'll echo others' thanks for the write-up! Great stuff! More excited for mine than ever...hope I'll still be as excited in 1.5-2 years when it arrives ;)

paulchua likes this.
  10. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    Fantastic write up. Can you share more about the heads up display? What’s it show or look like?

11. RADONCulous

RADONCulous Rookie

Jul 25, 2017
    Miami
    Superb and thoughtful review, thank you for the insights!

paulchua likes this.
  12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for the great write up. I’m happy to hear the car was a lot of fun and sounded great, I agree with the others, this write up was much better than any others I have read and has me looking forward to the day my GTS arrives .

paulchua likes this.
  13. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Yes please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great write up! U are a pro! Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  15. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Yes, thank you for raising this point, it was actually one of the most useful things to me when I test drove the 296GTB in Saudi last week. It has a built in projector in the dash, and is very similar to BMW font style in my view. I didn’t get a chance to explore the various views as I couldn’t see any controls around the panels, but it’s probably done through the settings menus. it was showing the speed in a very clear way and I found that extremely helpful in such a car. Must have option for me.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What a great review. The supply chain and limited production is making even a series production 296 feel out of reach for me from a timeline standpoint but I sure am intrigued by it. I’ll enjoy vicariously for now.

paulchua likes this.
  17. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    What I liked about it was it was very unobtrusive but having said that the instrument display is so crisp that the HUD to me falls into the "nice to have" rather than needed. Another interesting thing about the 296 was the cabin, there is a lot of space to somehow it feels more like it "fits" the driver, the best comparison I can think of is a 355 where everything feels like it falls to hand nicely.

Will post some picture.

I am hoping to try and get some more seat time!

18. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    the best write up I have seen. Thank you. I am still patiently waiting for my chance to test drive it.

paulchua and ryalex like this.
  19. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great write up! Thanks for sharing. Got me a little more excited about my 296 order.

paulchua and ryalex like this.
  20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Happy to be corrected but I think that's the first RHD photographed

As an aside I see the warts are effectively unchanged from the F8 & still defacing the bottom of the mirrors......

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The first RHD car to be photographed was this Rosso Imola example on test near the factory back in late November '21.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F2003-GA likes this.
  22. casryk

casryk Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2020
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    casryk
    Had a test drive in the 296 GTB on the track at Fuji Speedway last week. Only got 3 laps to get a small taste, but hit 290kph on the last straight. So that felt pretty awesome.
    Then I got into the passenger seat with a pro driver who did a hot lap regularly hitting 200kph in hard turns. I came away quite impressed with its power and stability on the track.

of2worlds and MANDALAY like this.
  23. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Wow. Are those the surround cameras? Or the “back radar?” Assuming the former, does anyone know off-hand if the back radar option has any aesthetic impact on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Those are the Surround Cameras on the side mirrors.