296 Test Drive | Page 5 | FerrariChat

296 Test Drive

Discussion in '296' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bibbinator

bibbinator Rookie

Jul 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brett Bibby
    I should also clarify my statement about 296 being the pinnacle... For those who aren't familiar with the Ferrari lineup or haven't owned one of this series, note that the 296 is a different car and isn't in the series. The 458, 488, F8 are V8 cars and there is an evolution within the models. What I meant by the 296 pinnacle comment was taking bits and pieces from these cars as well as others to create a driving experience that's approachable and fun, packaged with all the latest electronics. The V8's stand on their own as a series.

ryalex, SECRET, TR007 and 1 other person like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    shhhh....careful being too loud - many on this site will scream blasphemy - ...

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What did Enzo Ferrari say is the best Ferrari?

He was interested in winning races. If he could win a race with a toaster on wheels, he’d do it.

As enthusiasts, we find something that aligns to our preferences, we fall in love with it, and that is the thing that is right, and often, everything else is wrong. But the world changes.

I remember when Ferrari moved from front engine V12 to mid engine and from carbs to injection. I had people telling me that Ferrari was dead, the new cars didn’t look like the old cars, they didn’t sound like the old cars, the old man wasn’t winning like he used to do, the world changed, things were worse… (I was young but fortunate to have a family friend who was a big Ferrari collector). Meanwhile I was thrilled to see the new cars, like I saw on movies and TV.

I have yet to drive the 296 but my take is we went through several eras of Ferrari. The last one was the LDM era and its now passed. Everything has a beginning and an ending. The 458 and the F12 were the peak of his vision for Ferrari, maybe the 812 and the 488/F8 were kind of an encore. But now its time for something new, and guess what- they are still making great Ferraris. My reaction at seeing the 296 was its like a 458 moment. They are using technology to enhance the driving experience. When I drove the 458 for the first time I thought the car was not as nice looking as a my 430 and why does it wildly over drive the outside rear tire… And the shifts are too smooth… One day I took friend’s 458 for a spirited drive and then I realized, its 2 cars in one. And they used technology to bring track sensations to people at road car speeds….

they’re doing it again my friends… JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

EasyVC, KZEVO, fws357 and 13 others like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm driving the car in two weeks. Drove the Artura yesterday. Wasn't impressed. Hopefully 296 is wildly different. I have a deposit down on a 296 and I spec'd my car.

ryalex likes this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So drove the 296 today and was very impressed. Car was insanely fast and power delivery very linear. I quite liked all the modes and played with them quite a bit. Ev mode is great for not waking the neighbour's and when u just want a bit of quiet time. I found the brakes WAY better ito feel than previous Ferrari's (almost Porsche like). You get used to the digital stuff and frankly once you have set the car up the way u like it you don't really play with it that much. One item I really did NOT like is the position of the Start/Stop "touch" button. I was just messing with the steering wheel at the lights and inadvertently "brush" the Start/Stop and it turned off the car. A silly position for the button IMO.

All in all a great car and while I could not really stretch its legs it really is an all round awesome package. I particularly like the looks and especially the rear qtr. I will drive it on the track in two weeks so maybe I can give it a better go. I would highly recommend a test drive even if you have no intention of buying one. Mac and Lambo will have equivalent products and at least one can then get an informed opinion.

LVP488, Caeruleus11, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  6. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    Regarding the sound, how would you compare the F12 and the 296?
    Of course the F12 wins easily, it's a pure atmospheric V12.
    But I ask in the sense of: what is the potential of the 296 at this point?
    They call the 296 the "piccolo V12". The impression I have is that the tone is similar to a V12, but with a slightly lower volume.
    Do you think that, say, a Tubi, Akrapovic, Novitec, etc. (plus the removal of the GPF) will make the 296 sound similar to an N/A?
    Because I notice that the 296 doesn't have that turbo whistle (whistle that I particularly hate), and the sound has good intonation and is very clean.

ryalex likes this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Personally I liked the sound but really couldn't make a correct judgement as I did not have the chance to really use the rev range as it was city and freeway driving. I will be on the track with it in two weeks so can make a better decision. From the limited experience it had a "throaty/deep" sound which I liked. I do think removal of GPF and different exhaust will make a huge difference. BTW: If we can get the sound track from the 296 GT3 then we will know the possibilities as I assume the 296 GT3 does not have GPF and has a race exhaust system.

ab08, Dino_Argento and ryalex like this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I found that in the cabin you hear turbo system intake/blowoff type sounds.

I’m hopeful that one of the providers will come up with something that will open up the sound even if it could be F40-like. Even then I’m going to bet it is only partly as good as the F12.

SECRET likes this.
  9. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    JoStay -- please post your impressions of the 296 v the Artura after you have driven both. Thanks

ryalex likes this.
  10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I could use the full rev range and I did not find the sound wanting, if anything to me its a much more musical sounding engine than the F8. As to compare to a F12, I would say it compares quite favourably, yes it does not sound like a V12 but it does sound great to my ear throughout the rev range.

ab08, ryalex and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    i drove the 296; was a great car. i was impressed--certainly faster than my 812. probably handled very well, but didn't get to really test that. my only complaint is how many times they told me it sounded like a V12 (it doesn't). its not a bad sounding engine though

LVP488, Dino_Argento, Shack and 2 others like this.
  12. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    My take on sound from my test drive.

Sound is very similar to the V8 turbos Ferraris such as 488, Roma, Port. Maybe slighter higher pitch. Maybe. The sound doesn’t have a chance to build up because of the lower redline, like in the NA V8s.

However, it is the best sounding ferrari with the windows up/closed. They did a great job with the sound tube. This part I absolutely love.

In all my Ferraris, I have to drive with the windows open all the time to get the best/loudest engine sound to my ear. This of course results in a lot of unwanted noise, mainly wind noise. So even though you get louder engine noise it gets distorted with wind noise. In the 296, you get can enjoy the “pure” noise of the engine with the windows closed. And the engine is loudest with the windows closed, not open!!

They really did a great job with the hot tube. And so you get pure engine noise and no wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There is only a 500 RPM difference between the 296 and the 458. The difference in sound isn't due to the RPMs, but due to the muffling effect of the turbochargers.

daflk and SECRET like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After driving the 765 for over a year, it is to be expected that the Artura would not be exciting. I seriously doubt that the 296 will be as well. But your intent to own a Ferrari will likely be sufficient for you to buy it.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    296 doesn’t need to be LT levels of crazy but it needs to feel fast. All the time. At any speed.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Could be a nice addition to the 765. Not a substitute or competitor.

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    IMHO, the sound is pretty awesome with the windows open as well, if you can get to near full boost. You get some that lovely turbo flutter that the 488 GT3/GTE/Evo cars have. Now with N/A cars, they bark at the slightest amount of throttle input. That said, the ratio (if it were ever a thing) of 'barkiness' to acceleration or pull for an N/A V8 for N/A V12 Ferrari vs. a modern Turbo and Turbo/Hybrid V6/V8 Ferrari is just comical to me. That ratio is where I think the 296 wins hands down. It's even faster than something like a Pista and sounds a better than any turbo V-anything I've ever driven.

ryalex likes this.
  18. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    I always found the gear drag to be on the high side on my 458. So much so that when I had friends drive it I had them pull both paddles to momentarily feel the chassis brilliance in neutral while coasting. What a difference! Then pull the right paddle to go back into gear and keep driving ….

19. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Agree 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Test driving the 296 this Friday and I’ll report back (previously owned 430 and 458, and I’ll drive my F12 to the test drive)

wthensler, LVP488 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  21. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    I have never owned a Ferrari just a few Mclarens and Porsches. I did try to buy a new 458 some years back.

So I spent two days driving a 296 GTB with an Italian pro driver.

It was impressive on many levels. The hybrid tech and its integration were seamless. Ferrari has clearly thought through the logic and engineered it to be practical. Front end grip is immense, shocking ! Ride quality on potholed UK roads acceptable and probably OK for touring.

The power delivery is sledgehammer in higher gears with hybrid assistance but did seem to change in to low gears when in auto mode. There is no issue with 6 cylinders regarding performance but it is whisper quiet on start up, no V8 rumble like the SF90 I recently tested. However I get the need for sociably acceptable cars in urban areas....it made me realise the case but we all will miss that V8 or V12 startup.

The sports seats are hard but not uncomfortable.....and whilst riding shotgun with the pro driver they failed to hold me secure in the corners but it was extreme at the limit cornering.....I needed a steering wheel as a brace!

The brakes ar truly awesome, easy to modulate and powerful. The individual fly by wire control clearly impacting greatly on traction control and stability management......I suspect hammering the brakes to the apex becomes second nature, just sensational brakes.

The steering was not Ferrari fast as I remember my distant drive of the 458, it just worked and was not 'noticed' by me.

The Fiororno? model is stiffer and seemed to have faster steering.

The haptic controls on the steering wheel work but where inconsistent in initiation....... I wonder if familiarity helps......the starter button removes the drama of the trad button.

The car is brilliantly balanced and 'compact' like a sports car should be imop.

Overall a brilliantly sorted motor.

LVP488, RamsHmb, DQSF and 5 others like this.
  22. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Test drove the 296 today and it is extremely fast, nimble and fun to drive. Sounds great for a v6 turbo too. Felt faster than the F8 to me and brakes were great as well. Make sure to test drive it in qualifying mode. I think it would be amazing around a track but still plenty fun around town.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I drove it today and agree on all counts. I'll add that I think it can be driven comfortably everyday as well. I'm going to drive the Atura Friday and curious how it compares.

carz80am and ryalex like this.
  24. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    you guys should post what other exotics you've driven and how it compares in order to get some useful information.

also, if any of you track your cars, your opinion on how this car would handle would be great.

25. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    Be very interested in your comparison. Can't get a drive in the UK at the moment.