296 Test Drive | Page 6 | FerrariChat

296 Test Drive

Discussion in '296' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Supposed to rain Friday. Hope it holds up.

2. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    My wife and I test drove the 296 GTB on Monday and were prepared to put a deposit on one. While we absolutely loved the car, the handling, and the sound, we were a little underwhelmed with the looks of the coupe and were ready to pass on it and keep our Portofino. But then we went inside and saw the GTS and were completely blown away with its looks. I think the GTB actually looks better than the GTS in photos, but in person, there’s no comparison. So we put a deposit on a GTS and will now have to wait it out.

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    If there are no other rwd hybrid sports cars around there is no meaning to compare 296 with any ICE only cars.

As for track, 296 handles corners with mild understeer upon entry, on the apex pointing the car using only gas pedal and steering is easy as usual, and on the exit, you can go all the way as much as your skill allows.

Unlike Sf90, car feels alive and wants to play all the time. Sf90 has different level if turn in grip so it is completely different story from the entry to exit. Oh the speed it gathers on the exit… one has to prepare… lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ryalex likes this.
  4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Excitement level differs from multiple car owner perspective.
    Tdf, 812 grs, sto, gt3, chiron, sf90 af…

I have two cars on the production line right now and I am more excited about 296 than 812C which will have less sound and less thrill than my crazy tdf. Also from f12 to this, all the FR v12s has been the same in the core so I know how it will drive anyway.

Both Sf90 and 296 is new. Never had anything remotely like these before and it excites me. I drive sf90 more than sto and gt3. My tdf and 812 gts have been parked and never driven more than 20 mins for months now.

296, after testdive on track, I know I am getting what is best in SF90 minus 4wd, which is all the better!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LMH, daflk, jim g and 3 others like this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t get how they can look much different at all. There will be a GTS there Friday. I’ll see then.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Depends on what we are comparing it to. It's not hard-core but makes great sounds and it pretty darn fast.
    They both look good but I'd go for the GTS. I think you'll be impressed but you won't sell your 765 for it. :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So had my track test drive today (already had the road test drive). Other than the most obnoxious ill-mannered and disrespectful "coach" from a 3rd party company who had to be in the car, I found the 296 huge fun and really engaging. I think the brakes are a huge step forward in feel, application and stopping power. I tend to enjoy cycling through the gears (probably not optimum on a track) and again found the changes super quick and sharp with a great sound (didnt seem V12ish to me but anyway). All round a great package and super excited to spend more time with the car.

ryalex, LVP488 and Gh21631 like this.
  8. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I actually had some similar feeling that the car overall looks much better as GTS, but I couldn’t put my finger on why. I thought maybe the daytime light was just better than when I had seen the GTB at launch event (which was at night in my case). I took two photos to compare later and yeah, for sure you are right that they are clearly the same car. though there are naturally some slight differences that can be seen. I might just like cabriolets more too :)

296GTB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

296GTS

ryalex likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm naturally a coupe guy. I've always found Ferrari mid engined convertibles jiggly. I don't think I'm willing to take a risk at nearly $500k USD and find out Ferrari couldn't firm up the car enough. Mclaren will absolutely spoil you when it comes to open top rigidity.

ScrappyB, Shack and LVP488 like this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Or for anything. You still have yours right?

Shack and Gh21631 like this.
  11. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Great to hear. Locally here they are reserving the gts for customers that are also ordering the gtb. Assume you did not have to deal with that?

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Of course, I don't think there is anything that compares.

Coincid and Jo Sta7 like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats not true, I was given a GTS without a GTB. I guess it depends on your profile so it may be the case for a newer customer or someone with a lesser profile.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Brakes really felt good, especially after getting out of my GTS.

There are some things I'd do differently with the electronics but they aren't awful. Otherwise it was pretty well done.

Shack likes this.
  15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I find it tough to get past the looks really.

I know the colour combo was not to everyones taste but that's ferrari's choice for their demo vehicle

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's a great looking car to my eye (although more on that tomorrow) but that AF paint scheme is horrendous.

LVP488 and Shack like this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That two tone paint scheme..............:eek::rolleyes:
    And WHY the black base of the rear view mirrors?

18. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Nothing comes even close

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Sure, could be anything. The folks I've talked to that have ordered the GTS at the local F dealership all have GTB orders in. At least that my datapoint. What may happen in practice could be different.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Going to get my thoughts down now before they leave me.

1. I think it’s beautiful. The coupe is my preference aesthetically. The car needs a metallic color. Flat rosso corsa does not do it justice. Rear 3/4 is gorgeous.

2. sounds good. Very good tone. Builds with revs. Never very loud though.

3. haptic stuff is cool. I don’t hate it. It’s the future.

4. passenger display is awesome.

5. car is quite comfortable even without bumpy road pushed. It’s got great pull, but never feels violent. I don’t think this is a 9 second car and I don’t see it as a sub 5 second 60-130 mph car. The acceleration feels nowhere near as violent as the 765 LT. It also feels heavier than the 765 and less responsive to inputs. Overall, just a calmer driving experience. I think I could daily drive this car, easily.

6. I’m 6’3 210 pounds and the cabin felt fine to me as far as room and comfort. I would recommend getting a tan interior though to brighten things up.

7. order the race seats, the comfort seats suck.

8. if you come from something like a 458 speciale and expecting that fizz, you’ll be disappointed. This is a more sedate, grown up Ferrari. Just is. Perhaps it’s playful too when really opening it up. But at slower speeds, it’s just a nice place to be without being wild or intimidating.

Attached Files:

ScrappyB, Shack, ryalex and 3 others like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

My takeaway was that my wife would really enjoy it, it is comfy and easy to drive with plenty of performance.

22. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    I test drove it on Tuesday, pretty much concur with everything that's been said already. personally, I felt very comfortable with the standard comfort seat. I was planning to order racing seat, the test drive changed my mind. I will save that money. but I did decide to order the CF engine cover. I attached photos for comparison. overall, fast, comfortable and beautiful design. happy to answer any specific questions about the car.

. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

iMrMark and jm2 like this.
  23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed 100%, especially those curves on the rear fenders deserve some depth to the paint.

Yes I just got a few little blasts mostly on straight roads, and it hooks up in a blink and takes off - but didn't scare me, even on cool tires (I got first drive of the morning). The F12 and I have a rhythm but it can still make your buttcheeks clench on throttle.

Funny I said the opposite, I found the race seats were way too firm for my liking. Maybe it was the adjustment but they pressed into my pelvis and thigh in a way that was uncomfortable after 10 mins. I'm 6ft ~200lbs.

So, did you order one?

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i find the engine aesthetics lacking. not show worthy.

Coincid likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    IvanRico, Doug., KZEVO and 4 others like this.