296 Test Drive | Page 7 | FerrariChat

296 Test Drive

Discussion in '296' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Drove it yesterday and I could confirm from Philadelphia Ferrari the order portal for 296 GTB and GTS are closed,.They had their drive event yesterday and told all of us that if you don't have one ordered they were just notified they have no more to sell. They were very apologetic for inviting everyone and said they'd put your name down for a VS version if one becomes available..
    First the bad:
    1 I didn't care for the rear of the car
    2 The little lip on the dash that intrudes on the passengers leg room is awful
    3 I prefer the analog dash to the new electronic one
    4 I like the more aggressive looks of the F8 and Pista more than the understated smooth lines of the 296.
    5 Order book is closed
    The good:
    1 The flexibility of the engine in astounding and I've never driven anything like it. You floor it at 30 MPH in forth and it just pushes you back in the seat with what felt like as much force as the F8 in second. The power delivery is the overwhelming impression left with me after the drive. It isn't violent just smooth as butter with relentless pull and excellent traction.
    2 Body control is excellent and ride very comfortable, it's no Bentley but it isn't a raw car either, I guess they'll save that for the VS version.
    3 The car feels way lighter than it actually is, it's hard to explain. It's always alive and agile. It at least one size smaller than all the V8's that proceeded it.
    4 The order book is full for the next 4 years so it should hold its value.

Overall I'm glad I have one coming and I hope the looks, electronics, funky door openers, and awful start button on the steering wheel grow on me. The engine is the star of the show and worth the upgrade to me.

ryalex and Jo Sta7 like this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d like to get my name down on the VS lol. I’ll have to talk to Jorge.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So other than subjective looks and a few issues with the controls u really liked it :)

5. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Yes and it sounded great for TURBO

ryalex and Shack like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A little off-topic, but I think the availability issue is more about allocations than production fully sold. My dealer in France tells me that if I order today I could expect a car in late 2023, which is about 18 months and not 4 years; they also tell however that the window for ordering may close rapidly in the coming couple of months.

ryalex likes this.
  7. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    I was at the event as well and echo Jim G's comments, and want to add a few of my own impressions. I have an F8 Tributo, which I love. What an example of incrediable design and engineering. The test drive for me was just ok - only because I felt a bit of time pressure not wanting to hold the next person in line up for a test drive as well as the fact that we were driving on "back of neighborhood" roads without the ability to push the car a bit. I plan to come back to the dealer once they get their demo cars to really get a sense of 296 capabilities.

The few things that stood out for me are as follows:

1. I noticed a clicking sound when driving the car in manual mode - with the paddles. When I got home I watched a few Youtube videos of 296 reviews and if you listen carefully you can hear the same clicking noise. It is not a big deal, but not like my F8 when using the paddles. The clicking sound has nothing to do with the transmission - just the paddles.

2. I have racing seats, which I love. The demo cars had comfort seats - which I do not care for. It is only a perception, but they seemed "small and thin". The passenger side seat creaked when I sat it in and I am a standard build. I plan to spec racing seats for my 296GTS.

3. Like Jim G, I also prefer the analog dashboard. I also prefer the more analog steering wheel that I have in my F8. The manettino in the 296 is color coded - I prefer Wet, Sport, Race, etc. I am sure that with the electronic dashboard one can change the configuration to suit a particular preference of inputs to monitor. Digital dashboards are the future, so it is just a matter of getting accustomed to it. The display was certainly bright and colorful!

4. I terms of power, I noticed no major/significant difference between the F8 8 cylinder and the 296 6 cylinder + electric motor. Both have great power, which is very impressive for a V6 versus a V8. Again, I did not push the car. I have driven the F8 extensively on the track, and it is incredible when pushed. I am sure the 296 is equally as impressive and can't wait to take it on the highway.

5. I am not a sound purest - I do feel that the 296 sounds better than the F8.

Bottom line is that Ferrari has pushed the limit once again in terms of design and engineering. To have order books close so quickly after the launch shows the marketplace reception to the design and engineering.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Drove the 296 GTB on the weekend.

Great car hands down.

Might be heavier than the 488 GTB or F8 but certainly doesnt feel that way. It is so nimble. Fast is an understatement and the 8,500 red line on a turbo is really unbelievable.

The sound is definitely different than the 488 GTB in pitch and not as guttural. Compared to the F8 and its way better. Looks like they properly engineered the GPF in the 296 GTB.

Im still on the fence but I cant see the benefit going to the 296 GTB.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I just may have to once again get the Tri Coat Yellow . It looked great on the 296.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    yes that looks fantastic to my eye. I think it works really well on the car. Actually all metallics do. Flat colors are a no go.

gzachary likes this.
  13. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    I had a second test drive in 290GTB this morning and it impressed on a number of levels......my recent cars have been Mclaren 720 and Porker GT4 manual.

The 296 engineering and control systems seem fully resolved and thought through by Ferrari. It is impressive as you chose drive mode, Hybrid, e mode, Qualifying mode or Banzai mode. The V6 is incredible, it's hard to believe the capacity is just 2.9 litres as it delivers torque at low revs and spins up in a blink, irrespective of gear. It's so torquey that a couple of times I exited tight slow corners in 4th and it didn't hesitate, just picked up momentum albeit at a modest pace.....change down and it's banzai. The box is fast and smooth, probably the best DCT to date.

I also deliberately depleted the battery to see how the V6 behaved (there is no setting for ICE only). It was more than capable of ballistic drive. And the sound is enjoyable, perfect harmonics, not V8-like, just engaging in its V6 way.....half a V12, Ummm, marketing bullSh1T, imop. I would enjoy the sound during long-term ownership.

One surprise is the ride quality, it flows with the surface, despite the British roads, and it would work well on a long tour day; as does the cabin with its generous shoulder room and generous glazing.....front screen is wide and deep enough for easy forward and side visibility.

The comfort seats are OK, the buckets comfy but very hard. The haptics are what they are and unfamiliarity made me look for them but, presumably, familiarity helps

I do think this car is a new direction for Ferrari. It's socially adjustable to be quiet when needed in e mode or low rev ICE mode. Benign and undemanding in an urban territory or on motorway slogs. But morphs into an engaging and entertaining machine honed to perfection when giving it some welly. The grip and poise are sensational. The balance and agility belie the hybrid weight penalty, it's engineered to be low and unobtrusive. Wonderful engineering and engaging car. A true sports car.

LVP488, mayer, Shack and 3 others like this.
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    when so many great reds are available?

jm2 likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :rolleyes:

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if its tuesday, it must be tacos:p

17. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    #168 KZEVO, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Would love to hear how it compares to SF90. Just observations on driving dynamics, performance, handling, etc. Not trying to start a debate over which car is better. A couple folks have posted a few thoughts. I would appreciate if they and others can elaborate. Thanks!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    The SF90 is all drama with its trad V8 on startup and more Dan Dare styling......the 296 is softer styling,a la Daytona. The all-wheel drive of the SF90 makes a difference but I did not drive at high speed. It can be hushed and civilised with a very adaptable ride on rough British roads. I would say it's more in your face than the 296. The power train performance is mega for sure.

19. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    how did it compare to the 720s speed wise

20. ouzo12

ouzo12 Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Would love to hear more about the ICE integration. Specifically, how does the V6 engage if say you are travelling at a decent clip in E mode and then stomp it? Does the engine immediately engage at the required RPM for the given speed with no hesitation? I just find the technology fascinating with how they can get the motor to start, reengage with the rest of the drivetrain and then ready to pounce immediately.

21. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    That's difficult to answer as they are so different in approach. The 720 was ballistic and is a straight-to-jail sort of car on the road. That's not saying the 296 is not fast as it is but it's a car that I was happy at a moderate speed but will take off in a trice.....one aspect of hybrid is the electric power gives instant throttle response whereas the ice 720 needed to be above, say 2000 rpm which it always was, lol.

In the 720 you get catapulted to the horizon. On the mile straight at Millbrook the 296 was also ballistic and would have got close to 200 mph if a 160mph speed restriction was not in place. I didn't spend enough time in the 296 on appropriate roads but I doubt whether you would feel shortchanged, performance-wise.

22. roundincircles

Jul 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hinton
    The ICE/electric integration is seamless, to the point I was not particularly aware what it was doing when travelling fast. Certainly, it starts in electric mode and stays that way until you, I think, stab the throttle. Then at speed I was told it kicks in if you press the throttle for performance. When it depletes to 20% battery power left it goes 100% ICE IIRC. Then you put it in a mode that charges the battery which takes around half an hour. If in 'e' mode it does about 17 miles and can get to 80 mph iirc but depletes power faster.

Sorry not to be specific but it is so well integrated I really can't help beyond the above. The salesman gave me chapter and verse....in one ear and out the other!

ouzo12 and LVP488 like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Actually this characteristic of the 296 (although not actually that critical) has kept bothering me...
    Indeed weight could play a part, I have been told (incidentally) that the Nissan GT-R (undoubtly a car with mighty performance, even when it's not tuned) could trigger a similar feeling - and one known weakness of the GT-R is definitely its weight.

24. BCard

BCard Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bob Card
    Image Unavailable, Please Login A pleasant surprise was Ferrari bringing several 296GTBs (stock w/o the Assetto package) to the Miami Corso Pilota last week (12-13 Oct 2022) and we got to drive it back-to-back with the F8 over the two-day event. I think I can say that all the attendees were amazed at how much better the 296 was in all track-related aspects over the F8. Even though the Concourse Club track has many tight turns and no long straights we were able to add at least 10mph to the top speed and braking down from that speed into the hairpin at the end seemed much more relaxed and confident. Cornering was outstanding. Each time we drove the 296 the next drive in the F8 made it seem significantly slower, less planted/more squirrelly with less confident braking. They have achieved a real step change with this car.

The only downside was the track sound which was modestly better than the F8 but not nearly as good as my 488 let alone the 458/Speciale. Regardless, glad I put in a deposit in July 2021 and hopeful to see a call to order soon.

MANDALAY and REALZEUS like this.