308/328s in GP Drivers Parades | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308/328s in GP Drivers Parades

Discussion in '308/328' started by speedcat, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How do you "lower the seat"

And why would you bother for someone driving a car with infinite headroom ?

Lowering the seat won't help his legs anyway. In a situation where the top is never on, the size problem would be his legs and the pedals. In other words, Selleck would have needed the seat to go BACK more. And "lowering the seat" won't address that.

That's why I never bought this story. If it were a GTB, sure. I guess but he never needed more headroom.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    From "Looper.com:"

"At a height of 6 feet and 5 inches, Selleck naturally towered over most people on the show. The actor's imposing physique made getting into a car on camera awkward, since he always seemed too big to fit into them. To get around this problem, Magnum's Ferrari had its padding removed so he would be placed lower on the seat. The seats were also bolted as far away from the steering wheel as possible to accommodate Selleck's long legs."

4. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I still don't know the number of this one

5. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    2017 Mexico GP - Kimi and Seb in 308s

Attached Files:

6. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John

Attached Files:

Saabguy likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    the one with Kimi in it is "incorrect" too.

Who would know but a hand full of us here

Rosey likes this.
  8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Funnily enough, I had to swap my wiper arms over, to take my 328 back to being "factory correct".

It had had some work done on the wiper motor/wiper linkage at sometime in the past, and the wiper arms had been put back on the wrong sides.

They were bugging me too much to leave them.

I'm not totally all about being "factory correct" though - My targa roof has been painted to match the body colour, and I much prefer it to the factory standard black roof panel :)

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Who would allow someone to stand on their seat and sit on the roof? No way!

Rosey and Thomas Magnum like this.
  10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm not convinced it was about him getting in and out of the car - I think it was more to do with his head sitting too far above the windscreen's top rail (in one episode, they play on Tom Selleck's height by putting him in a Jaguar E-Type Roadster, which he drives with his entire head sticking up above the windscreen, leaving him looking like he's driving a pedal car :D)

My understanding is, padding was removed from the seat base, the seat runners were removed, and the seat was bolted directly to the floor, to get it as low as possible.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Ferrari will have had nothing to do with the selection of the car - The race promoter would have put out a call to local car clubs, for someone with a Ferrari, who would like to drive Carlos around the circuit.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I bet their inbox exploded

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Well, I was thinking Dr, that , his line of site would be blocked by the top of the car / windscreen, or the top of his head would be over and above the windscreen to see ahead, and neither would work , the seat would have to be lowered. What say you ? You can maybe reupholster the seat with less padding, and bolt it to the floor with no rails. It could be done. ( thus lowering the seat height )

Big G

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A friend messaged me this week who sat in one of the cars this past weekend and examined the drivers seat and all around it. He said if the did do anything they put it back so you could never tell.

I'm about 5'10" - 5'11"ish. If I put my seat all the way back I can barely push the pedals in.

Who knows

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  15. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Same here, I actually bought a spare roof and had that painted red to match the rest of the car,, looks much cleaner in my opinion..
    Still have the original one in storage..

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #42 ginoBBi512, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022

I hear you, Im fortunate, Im 5 11 and 3/4 - 7/8 ths with a 32-33 inseam , so Im a pretty good fit, I did replace my drivers seat, which made all the difference, the stock seat, in my estimation , is useless for any person thats not the size of a jockey lol I also have really small feet, Im a 7.5 - 8 !! I also installed the 1 inch steering wheel spacer , which helps as well.I can say that I feel pretty cozy in my 328 and I can drive it for hours at a time with no problem, its the Sparco that made all the difference. My goal was to feel like Im sitting in the car , and not on it . My arms, legs, are a good proportion, which also helps me reach the wheel and the peddles, while in a relaxed laid back seating position, if anything, I would like to have 1 more inch of leg room . I need to get the seat reupholstered , when I do, Im going to have the lower back padding reduced by 1 inch, to try and achieve some more length of leg room.

G

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  17. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Are you sure about the red spoilers?

Denis Sindezingue

I took this picture in Maranello in 1987. As you can see, there are red spoilers on some cars.
    As our 328 has.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    No, looks like I stand to be corrected.

From viewing the 328 used for Sainz however, with the distinct absence of any black painted trim, I'd be guessing that the spoiler was not originally red, but unless you saw the build sheet how would you know.

19. cptn.Big

cptn.Big Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    As a long term owner of a 308 that's dead stock, including scrapes and dents, cracked paint and windshield stickers..... I would suggest that Ferrari never expected the GTS's to be driven with the roof on.

The only time I have is when driving it home to Canada from Ferrari San Francisco, along the coast in the late fall.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

maurice70, Rosey and bitsobrits like this.
  20. cptn.Big

cptn.Big Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    Dammit, I lied, I forgot I had the muffler cover chromed as it tended to get corrosion.......

21. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I was going to paint the roof and the spoiler red. But my Daughter and the neighbor said I should just repaint it black. For Posterity. So I also cleared them with with a custom mix of Satin clear PPG. The lower also. Now I can wax the whole damn car!

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Mine is all body colored - but then again, I have a black car...so nevermind.

PDG

23. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    hell ! are any of these ferraris'!

if they are, they're just like the one i had.

get used to it. these cars were almost made by hand.

guiseppe did a little bit today and leonardo at bit tomorrow.

at least the factory assigned a single assembler to the engine.

i'm ok with that method.

why can't you be?

24. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'm not sure I'm following, which "method" are you referring too?