308 Air Pump | FerrariChat

308 Air Pump

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I am curious as to where the air pump is on the 1980 308 GTSi. I have just failed my state emissions test twice. The first time I was rated at about 24 Hydro Carbons, which was due to a Rotor Problem. The next test which I took today, Was Greatly reduced to about 3.3 with the Limit on Emissions being 2. I Think their may be a problem with the air pump which I think is a pulley that I have a on the drivers side of the car. This pulley is attached to the bank at the rear of the car, but has no Belt on it and I see no other pulley A belt Could go to. Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    When you open the rear deck lid, the air pump is on the top left, toward the trunk. It would be between the oil filter and the truck for a reference point. It is the only object on the left side with a belt. (Hopefully your belt is still there).

Your air pump is probably not the problem though. My 308GTSi flew through emissions with the belt off the air pump. My air pump has frozen up so rather then rebuild it or replace it, I just took the belt off so it would try to run. Supposedly this adds horsepower back to the engine. All I know is the car seems to run better, whether I have a performance gain or not I can not tell.