News

308 alternator upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Dec 7, 2003.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am installing my new motor and noticed that my OEM alternator is only 65 amps. with all the new stuff added to my car-(400W in lites alone) I would like to get an 85amp unit or larger--

any feedback on upgrading? any part number suggestions? anyone done this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Since I know that you've got access to a machine shop, I'd suggest going to www.summitracing.com and getting a high output (130A-150A) alternator with a remote sense wire to the battery.

If your V-12 engine is as prone to oil dripping into the alternator area, I'd rig up a shroud with an air intake tube that's down below the frame so it won't suck oil into it.

Otherwise, move up to the 328 90A BOSCH alternator with the shroud & clean air intake tube.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    On an earlier thread on alternators I mentioneded on outboard voltage regulator kit using a brush assembly and a Ford voltage regulator.

It lets the alternator put out it's voltage at an earlier rpm and increases output about 15% to about 83 - 85 amps. Best part of the mod is it's cheap! This only works withthe Bosch alternator.

I have a couple of kits in my parts stash and I've used one in my tricked Lancia for 8 years with no problems. Drop me an email and I'll give you a spare that I have gratis. It's a very easy install and is undoable if if doesn't give the extra zap you need. Remembe, I'm local.

Mitchel Defrancis is stopping by tommorow t borrow my trailer, so if you want to stop by in the PM I can have it ready to give you.

Jeff Davison

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I was able to pick up an alternator for a 328 and new bracket. With a few small bushings that i machined, it slid right into place and the V-pulley fit off of the old 308 unit.

Before installing I took it to an alternator shop and they changed out the core with one from a Mercedes which outputs about 104 AMPS---My car likes this one much better!!!!!

the rebuild was costly though---155.00