308 blue smoke when engine warm | FerrariChat

308 blue smoke when engine warm

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4returbo, Jun 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4returbo

4returbo Karting

Oct 14, 2003
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Rick Oliver
    Ok guys. I beleive I cured the turbo trouble with my 1980 308 gtbi. However, the car is still smoking. Upon start up the car is perfect. No, oil spray or smoke, it idles at about 3500 rpm for a few 2-3 min, oil pressure is about little past 85-90 psi then drops to aroune 70-80. After about a mile when the car is warmed up or I really step on the gas, Blue smoke. Lots of it. Could this be a problem with the PCV or EGR? Ideas? The scavenger pump solution for the turbo worked like a charm the car wants to fly!!!! Does anyone thing the 30K service would correct the smoking?

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Sounds like you struck OIL!

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    No, You're getting OIL coming thru from somewhere.
    I'd suspect a turbo. Degrease the tubing between the turbo's compressor & intake, then take it for a half-hour driver. Remove & examine tube for traces of oil.

Any chance of it being leftover oil from your prev. problems? Maybe flush the entire compressor-intercooler-intake lines with a solvent like brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.

If intake is clean, then it could be getting sucked past the oil seals on the valves, or you've got really bad rings. If it passes a leak down test, then likely oil seals.

Unlikely PCV. EGR doesn't have anything to do w/OIL. Nothing in 30k is likely to help.

4. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    if the oil vapor separator system is still connected, check hoses to make sure you don't have a large air leak that is causing oil to be sucked into the intake.

The separator drain hose where it connects to the sump (a little above the shift shaft) seems to rot/crack after a couple dozen years.