308 cam pulley group buy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 cam pulley group buy

Discussion in '308/328' started by derekw, Jan 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    PM sent.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    ... of course anyone who wants to convert their standard pulley to adjustable timing, can just get the eccentric sleeve and pin, and drill a 9mm hole into the pulley. Likely to be under $5 for the pair.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Derek. That is a brilliant engineering solution.

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Wayne, I was pretty impressed myself :) I contemplated doing a patent search but am 99% sure it has been done before and even surer that patenting is a waste of time and effort for an individual who can't afford to cover all jurisdictions and defend it legally.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #30 derekw, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Last call for adjustable timing cam pulleys in bronze (type 3) anodised 7075 aluminium. Price will be US$325 incl. the adjustable dowel pin and sleeve in stainless steel. Shipping will be about $20 for USA/Canada, double that for elsewhere. They do fit the QV engines but no point if yours are already steel (unless you want to easily adjust the timing.)

PM me if you want some.

6. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    PM sent

Thanks
    Richard

7. chrisrpi02

chrisrpi02 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Derek, I am interested in a set of the pulleys if still available. Can you PM me for the details? Seems I can't send a message yet...

Thanks!
    Chris

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The pulleys will have 360 degree marks on the "fence" and will have 10 x 6mm timing holes and two 10mm holes for the eccentric sleeve.

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Chris and others, if you can't PM me use derekrwhite at yahoo.com. I am just waiting for quotes on a "normal" adjustable design (with flange and tooth ring coupled by 4 cap screws in slots) since it may not be too much more expensive and will make adjusting timing easier than the offset dowel idea.

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The pulleys will be the normal adjustable type as they are easier to adjust and it was only $5 per pulley more than the setup with an eccentric dowel/sleeve. Guide "fence" will be attached with countersunk screws as some expressed concern (though the pressed-on fences took a boiling and beating without coming off.)

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Derek,

Sorry now I am confused. Are these just like the picks above? :eek:

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #37 derekw, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #38 mwr4440, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    With Square Teeth, Correct?

If so, I'm in for a Bronze set.

You might drill all 5 holes as per OEM.

I'd pay a little more.

14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Yes square teeth. If anyone wants the non adjustable they already have the drawings so can do a few ($320) or these adjustable are $340.

15. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Pulleys are now ordered and should be 6-8 weeks for delivery.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    :( This is what happens when I don't log on frequently enough...

They look pretty nice!

17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I have a couple of extra sets coming as we didn't quite meet the MOQ. Send me a pm if you want a set.

18. bjmurph

bjmurph Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi Derek,

I am interested in a set of your alloy pulleys, but would like the longer lasting rounded tooth type. Colour not really important but (of course) red is preferred.

Please advise availability & price

regards

Bernie Murphy

19. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Bernie, I need a few more people wanting the round tooth set to make it viable.
    Cheers derek

20. bjmurph

bjmurph Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Derek,

Understand you need more orders for the round tooth belt type pulleys (understand it is a HTD type), but am still keen. Would prefer original mount type with the multiple holes for timing adjustment (as in your original pics). Do not want 'adjustable' pulleys.

So please keep me in mind if the numbers stack up. Would not mind an increased cost for a small run of these.

regards

Bernie Murphy

ps: For those of you who are watching this thread, the HTD pulleys & belts are (I believe) the same as Nick's Forza 'long life' belt system, only his are adjustable, and he claims good for 60K.

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    No, not the same.

22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    very neat !

23. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #48 derekw, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Bernie,
    I doubt many would want non-adjustable but if anyone does they can comment here. The belt would be a Gates racing belt as they are easy to find for engines like the 4G63 and many suppliers are making the pulleys (the original Uniroyal patent expired some time ago.)

24. bjmurph

bjmurph Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Hey Derek,

Yeah, the round tooth pulleys looked like the ones sold by Nick and Toda. I made an assumption on the belt type as I've been doing some research (A little knowledge can be dangerous). You mentioned that there are many shops making the pulleys. If you're not able to do the 'Gates' pulleys could you recommend a custom shop that can?

By the way, when I said 'non adjustable' I was referring to the multi-hole OE type of pulley adjustment vs the aftermarket bolt type adjustment.

So still looking for a set of 'Gates' type pulleys, or your recommendation on a custom manufacturer, please.

25. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Bernie, I don't think you can get custom pulleys made for less than those suppliers' prices as there are a lot of one time costs for the drawings, analysis, setup etc. Since they are already making them, ask if they can machine a single piece non-adjustable set for you (or weld the two parts together and drill more holes.)

I have to order 25 sets and with only a handful of round toothed requested, I would have to sit on a lot of sets for a while-- perhaps years. If another five people want round teeth I can probably get them made but the question remains, would you change the belts much less often? Perhaps every 7 years instead of every 5.