308 cam pulley group buy | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 cam pulley group buy

Discussion in '308/328' started by derekw, Jan 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #51 derekw, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just an update on the group buy. The pulleys are now ready to ship and should be with me in a week or so. I got a pre-shipment inspection done and the metallurgy, dimensions and belt fit were good but some had marks in the anodising so had to be re-done. They might send a sample set with round teeth (36 tooth 8M HTD) if they are ready in time. For those wanting the round teeth it would be good to know whether the preference is for adjustable hub or just lots of holes to adjust with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Derek, how are these coming along?

Dan

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They are en route to me and I should have them next week. Depending on my schedule I should send them in 1-2 weeks. Don't send money until I have them and have had them tested.

4. 250288

250288 Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    Hi Derek, any news?

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Let's guess who the stealth 250288 is-- 2 posts in 2 years. Probably someone who is not happy about this effort to get affordable options to whatever they are selling?

As all the people who ordered already know, I was not happy with the belt fit so am getting them remade. You will be very pleased to hear that I may use the bad L belt pulleys and fit them with GT2 teeth so there will be budget GT2 belt options :)

6. 250288

250288 Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    Hi Derek,
    Actually, I'm the bloke who PM'd you for one of your spare sets! I've heard nothing.

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    My apologies for questioning your motives-- I was having a rotten day (not fun opening box after box of unusable pulleys that cost a few grand :-(

Strangely, there is no message in my PM box from you so please send it again with your real name and contact details so I can add you to the list. Also let me know whether you want original belt (trapezoidal "L") or GT2 belt pulleys. The latter will be more expensive since you will get the 2 lower pulleys as well and they won't be ready for a few months if I do have some made.

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #58 derekw, Jul 26, 2017
    Hi all,

The pulleys with the new (correct) toothed section are now ready and will be sent out at the end of the week to US and Australia. Europe-bound pulleys will post from the UK in early Sept. I have a couple of extra sets due to some people dropping out due to the delay. If you want some let me know. $370 (incl. post) to US, add $10 for Europe and $25 more for other countries.

9. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    they look great.

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Derek,

From the pic I can't see how the pin holding the cog to the cam goes in.

Can you show us?

Plus, I'll PM you.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Mark, you unscrew the 4 locking cap screws, take of the mounting flange, put in your pin, reassemble.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    hmm...
    That's going to make setting the belts and timing fiddly. The camshafts have a series of holes at 28* while the pulley has them at 25*, the OEM belt tooth is spaced at 12*. In order to take advantage of the range of of degrees both pulley and camshaft have a series of holes. Normal installation is to set the cams and using the belt find the nearest hole between the pulley and cam that also takes up all the lash and slack in the belt. A single fixed pin will make that a bit harder to do and without the outer cog in place I'm not sure how the belt is placed before the pin.

I'd suggest slotting the inner part for clearance to make the pin removable without having to disassemble the pulley, just a thought.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I'll be using mine in the next few days and had just planned to put the pulley onto the cam without the central bolt (crank at TDC and cam locked at its TDC lift), check and mark which cam hole would line up best with a tight belt, remove pulley and put in the pin, reassemble and make final adjustment with the adjustment of the hub and then lock it up with medium threadlock on the cap screws and Loctite 648 or similar retaining compound on the flange/hub interface as I will not be playing around with the timing.

I'll let you know if I'm missing something but it seems straightforward to me- but it's 3am and I may well be forgetting something.

14. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I'm sort of partial to the pulley design in post #1. Any chance to obtain some of those? Others may also what the more OEM style to make a group buy......

15. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #65 derekw, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    I have a few sample sets like that but the teeth are a little high and need to be machined down .5mm and the tooth corners radiused. I can try to get them in to the machinist but he already did me a favour letting my batch jump the queue and my local anodizer closed Wednesday for a few weeks.

16. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #66 derekw, Jul 28, 2017
    The pulleys fit well and it was easy to set up as described above. The Cat cams have so many holes it was easy to find holes that were correct for the belt teeth and had the adjustable hubs fully retarded (i.e. cap screws against the right shoulder of the slots.) I will use thread lock on the screws and Loctite 648 on the flanges. If anyone wants more insurance they could drill/tap a hole for a locking screw.

17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Derek,

So you have or have not indexed the cams per the shop manual?

Or are you just going with the "assembly marks" on the cams and "calling it good?"

I know I have one cam (EX 5-8) 6 crank degrees off or maybe even 7 degrees. :(

18. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My 1982 has the same cam off the mark. I measured it twice because the other 3 cams were within 1 or 2 degrees.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have to ask, what is the motivation behind changing the pulleys?

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    John, I am replacing the 37 year old plastic pulleys since it is common for their guide rings to break off.

Mark, my new cat cams don't have any timing marks so I used the lift data for the cams to index them. I used a dial gauge on the bucket lifter and set each cam to the specified top dead centre lift. I then put on the belt and tensioner, put a timing wheel on the back of the crank and turned it over a few times checking both the TDC lift and the degrees of max lift.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks Derek. That doesn't apply to QVs, correct. QVs have metal pulleys?

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I think they switched to steel pulleys during the QV production so some have plastic.

23. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I have a couple of sets that are cosmetically not the best (scratches or anodising not even/marked.) $250 set. I also may have two non-adjustable sets available next week if I can get them anodized ($320/set)

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Only 2V 308's came with plastic pulleys but not all did and the same applies to boxers. I've only seen one 78 BB512 that had plastic pulleys and it was pretty near virgin status when I worked on it. I replaced them with new OEM steel gears.

25. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Received mine, they look great. Can't wait till early winter to put them on.