308 distributor internals | FerrariChat

308 distributor internals

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by magnesium, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Can anyone tell me about the springs and weights in my 308 distributor. I stripped it to lubricate everything (it's all in good shape as far as condition is concerned) but I suspect that someone has done something odd with the springs / pins. There are 4 springs in total these seem to be part nos. 0120F although no internal parts seem to be listed on the ferrari UK site.......... There are 2 short springs (in the short bores) which only come into play at higher rpm....... and 2 longer springs in the deeper bores. Should these 2 springs be the same and what spec should they be?

In the photos you can see the distributor internals. It's a 1978 Euro model with Marelli 200 series exectronic ignition. Note the difference between the 2 longer springs and see the difference this makes on each side of the advance mechanism........ of the 2 longer springs, the shorter one with the larger wire diameter seems to do very little - it only comes into play well after the 2 short springs. I have arrowed the longer springs installed in the distributor at rest (no advance) see how there is a gap between the pin and the housing on one side - this doesn't look right. Can anyone help with the spring specs? Should the springs on each side be the same and who can supply them? I'll rig up something to set up the advance curve but I want to check what springs should be present first. Thanks for any advice and specs.

Matt.

2. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    all 4 springs

3. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    complete advance assembly - euro electronic distributor

4. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    One side of the advance mechanism - the installed long spring is arrowed

5. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Other side of the advance mechanism - the installed "SHORT" long spring is arrowed......

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You cannot guess at their functions like that, you need an Distributor Advance Mechanism Tester. Normally not sold to poor saps like us.

When I did mine, I had 2 US dizzy (I suspect you only have 1), I just matched up the two so that the advance curves are matched. Ran good ever since.

7. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    here are all the pins and springs and one shim.

8. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Karting

Dec 8, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    I went through this with my carb 308. The P.O. had cut the two longer springs and the curve was all off. The two distrobutors were not even close on their advance curves VS each other either (real high performance stuff). My experience has been that the two short springs should match and the two long springs should match in each distributor. Minor grinding of the springs is only to match one distributor to the other. A spring compression guage, micrometer and distributor machine are a must. After I was done the car ran much better to say the least. I eventualy went to a single distributor setup converted to Mallory Unilight with a MSD control box and Mopar distributor cap with 8.8mm Hemi wires. Just an update from the old OEM technology, not new science.