News

308 flywheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Jun 7, 2004.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i try to take the flywheel bolts of to replase the pilot bearing i can NOT brake the bolts loose on the flywheel . i use a torque wrench nothing. i was thinking to grind the lip of to the same size as the bearing then i know it will come off i do NOT want to do this in this way. any proceger on how to do this. maybe their is lock tight on this bolts any info on this???? thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I use an impact wrench and they come right out. For re-torquing made a small aluminum block the engages about 6 teeth on the flywheel and locks it to the bell housing.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Also you can remove the starter and insert a prybar or large screwdriver to engage a tooth and brace against the bell housing --- be careful, if it slips, you can break a tooth on the flywheel. Best to have 2 people for this --- one on the prybar, one on the flywheel bolts.

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Try to borrow a flywheel locking clamp. broken teeth are a real drag.
    Do not use a torque wrench, use an air impact or a breaker bar, (with possibly a cheater if you lack the air power.
    Use a shallow 6 point socket, (not 12 point or worse a deep 12 point) to wrench on the nuts - less likely hood of stripping the heads.

sounds like fun, wish i were doing a rebuild on the 308, (and I had a fairy god mother to buy really hot rebuild parts).

regards, chris

6. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    When replacing the flywheel, always, always use blue Loctite on the bolts. Clean the bolt holes and the bolts before applying the stuff. I got to see pictures of a 308 GT/4 who's flywheel came loose...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You don't need to remove the flywheel to replace the spigot bearing, by the way!

Just use a readily available expanding collet slide hammer attachment, or you can hydraulic it out with grease and a bit of bar to fit the 15mm spigot hole.....

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    the bearing will not com out the big warcher that the bolts go to hold the flywheel in plase there is a lip if the lip was the same size as the bearing then the bearing will come right out . i will try to hold the crank big bolt on the other side to try to get the bolts to come out on flywheel.

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I thought the flywheel had to be removed on a 308 to get the pilot bearing out. Anyone clarify?

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ria is correct ---

On the 308 2-valves, the gang washer has too small of an ID to allow the bearing to pass through. Plus, if you are going to the trouble of replacing the pilot bearing (assuming a clutch job is going on here) you should treat yourself to re-surfaced flywheel as well.

I don't know if I would hold the crank bolt --- this will put a helluva lot of torque on the crankshaft --- probably okay, but a broken crank shaft would certainly break my heart. Lots of things will work at the flywheel side --- stuffing rags, wooden blocks, etc. between the teeth and a boss inside the bell housing.

Also, don't foget about the obvious --- try heating the bolts with a propane torch to break the corrosion / loctite in the threads. Factory spec torque on the flywheel bolts is only about 60 ft-lbs --- shouldn't be too hard to crack once the heat breaks the bond between threads.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    OK the mistake i made was i use a long exta with the torque wrench this time i did NOT i was only 2 inch from the bolts thay come right of. i want to THANK all of you for the info. now i will take the flywheel to the shop.

14. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Torque wrenches should only be used to tighten nuts - not remove them. An electric or air impact wrench is what you should be using...

-Wayne

15. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    wayne i used a air impact wrench.

16. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay - you did say "torque" wrench in all of your posts...

:)

-Wayne