308 GT4 Electrical Problem?? | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Electrical Problem??

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, Oct 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I know, I know… it's highly unusual to have an electrical problem on an almost 50 year old Italian car, but nevertheless, that seems to be what's happening! :D

In all seriousness, I was hoping someone might have some guidance for me. Here's what's going on:

The red emergency lights in the doors seem to stay on whether they're opened or closed. Pressing the button manually will sometimes turn them on and off, but I can't press that button when the doors are shut.

Any thoughts on how I can remedy this?

Here's a shot looking down into the door through the window opening while the door is closed. You can see the illuminated red light.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Clean up , adjust or replace the door jam buttons .

dyerhaus and bitsobrits like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Remove the buttons in the door jams. They are bone head simple and it should be kind of obvious what the problem is.

dyerhaus likes this.
  4. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Would check also the buttons connection to ground

dyerhaus likes this.
  5. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Good suggestions, unfortunately, that didn't seem to do the trick. Even with the buttons removed, the lights stayed on. In fact, they're now staying on all the time. I took this shot of my passenger door while at a red light:

And this shot after I got home from driving:

Electrical gremlins are always loads of fun! Where would one check the ground?

6. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Those interior lights typically operate by having the negative (ground wire) switched via the door jam buttons (as opposed to the more normal switching of the positive wire). So one of the ground wires 'upstream' of the jam switches must be grounded. As your car was recently disassembled for painting, I would be looking in the areas impacted by that work for pinched or abraded grounds.

dyerhaus and morcal like this.
  7. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The interior lights are rockers and have two settings - one from the door switches and one always on. From memory this is done by switching the ground wire not the +12v. If the wires were installed wrong you could have this symptom. These lights are all linked so just one ground source would turn them on. A small flat blade screw driver should pop them out so you can check the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dyerhaus likes this.
  8. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    #8 morcal, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    View attachment 3410706 The grounding of the door button is tricky as it goes via the small trim panel on the door hanging (# 5 table 109) . If it does not contact firmly with the car body metal it does not allow grounding, as soon as I remember

dyerhaus likes this.