News

308 GT4- more carb questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doug, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I am slowly trying to dial in my '76 308 GT4. Car has a single dist. conversion with a Mallory Unilite set-up. I have adjusted the advance to spec. Should this be different than spec because of the conversion set up? The carbs have 135 mains and 45 idle jets.

1. I get popping/crackling when I let off the throttle. Research tells me that this could be too lean and so I have ordered some 50 and 55 idles.

2. The car is slow to drop back to idle. When I accelerate and shift, the rpm doesn't drop when I press in the clutch. It's more annoying than anything.
    Any suggestions?
    Doug

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you can confirm that the throttle plates are closing well, #2 might be related to the ignition side of things. Are you able to get the same bad effect when stationary using the throttle to bring-up and then drop the RPM?

Please give more information and you might get better input:

Does your current carb plumbing set match the specifications as shown in your year/version OM (or in what ways doesn't it)?

What ignition "spec" are you set to at idle? I believe this would depend on which advance curve (S159A or S159B) that your new ignition set-up better matched (the "A" set-up gives more advance in the idle-to-1800 RPM range, but they're about the same in the 1800 RPM and up range -- not saying that I know one is definitely better than the other for you, but you've got to take the advance curve into account to select a reasonable idle setting range). Do you have the advance curve for your new set-up?

What does the Synchrometer read at idle?

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    It'll run better with 55 idles.

Recommend you put them in, re-sync and post the readings.

RPM can be slow to return to idle when (i) rich [not likely]; (ii) distrib is "slow" to react [unknown]; (iii) throttle shafts are worn; (iv) return springs are suspect or linkage is binding on something.
    Philip

5. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Advance is 7deg @ 1000 and I am using one of those digital scopes that measures rpm off the plug wire. The service manual I got with the car says 130 mains and 45 idles. I dropped in the 135s because the extra set came with the car. From what I read, most are upping the idles to 50-60 so I ordered 50 & 55's today. Things are getting better as I tinker with it. I guess I will wait until I get different idle jets to see what happens before messing with it any more. It starts and runs great, just pops/crackles on deceleration. Plugs are all looking good. The sticking RPM is dropping a little faster as I keep messing with it.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I'm surprised that it runs with 45 idles.

I've experimented a bit with idle jets in an attempt to burn cleaner and improve gas mileage. But I get 'bad behaviours' with anything less than
    55s.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Doug -- I'd still recommend that you go by the "carb setting data" in the OM for your exact year/model/version as the starting/reference point (since this has a chance of getting updated whereas service information may not). The table in the Haynes Weber book shows the 35/36/37/38 series 40DCNF using 45 idle jets in the stock configuration (but that series corresponds to an earlier-than-yours, non-US 308GT4). Later non-US, US, and AUS 308GT4 all use the larger idle jets so doesn't seem to be an unreasonable direction to try.

Which series 40DCNF do you have? 35/36/37/38, 45/46/47/48, 57/58/59/60, or something else?