308 GT4: Summer/Winter Switch? | FerrariChat

308 GT4: Summer/Winter Switch?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, Aug 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Can anyone tell me what this "Summer/Winter" switch is, what the "Est." and "Inv" is, and what setting it should be on and when? I just discovered this switch, and I can't seem to locate anything about it anywhere.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    You need to think in Italian :)

Summer = Estate
    Winter = Inverno

It's an air flap gizmo that reduces/blocks airflow thru the oil cooler in the winter (to get the oil warmer/faster). See Section 3, "engine lubrication", in the US 308GT4 OM. Only used on the US version:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/308-gt4-dino-1976/015-lubrication-system

(Although it's strange that the picture of the US part on the MC website is the euro part without the flap - unless that's just reflecting that the US part is superceded to the euro part.)

dyerhaus and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Thank you! Someone pointed that out to me at a show last week, but he was fairly soft-spoken so I didn't catch what he said. So I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. I'll look in the manual now that I know where to find it. It's one of those things I feel like I should have known about!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    You live San Jose. I can't see you ever needing to move that switch in San Jose.

dyerhaus and NoGoSlow like this.
  5. dino1971

dino1971 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2013
    Bordeaux, France
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Steve is spot on with his Italian! I also have this on my Euro GT4 delivered to France in 76, so I don't think that it was specific to the US models.

morcal and dyerhaus like this.
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I posted that just based on the F documentation -- it's not shown in the euro 308GT4 OM, and the 308GT4 SPC says it's "US" (and there's a different part number for standard/euro part). That said, it surprises me, too, as it's not like there are cold climate areas in the US and none in Europe.

dyerhaus likes this.