308 Oil pressure light/gauge | FerrariChat

308 Oil pressure light/gauge

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tuttebenne, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I started my 77 308 the other morning just to wake it up from its winter nap. As usual, the red light came on and the needle was indicating no oil pressure with the key in the "on" position. Once the engine was running a two or three seconds the red light went out and the needle moved into the normal spot it does on a cold start (just below 85). After a few minutes I was getting ready to move the car and when I got back into the car I noticed the red light was on. The needle still indicated the same oil pressure. I turned the engine off and then re-started it. The light went out again and the needle once again swung over to the same reading as before. Again, a few minutes later the red light came on again.

Its been a long time since I changed the oil pressure sender so I have forgotten if this is what drives the gauge or if it drives the light. Can someone help?

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    My car was built before lights were invented, so I'm pulling this nugget from a study of parts manuals.

You should have two separate senders - one for gauge, one for light. Look on the pedistal that the oil filter is on. The gauge connects to a largish sender that sort of sticks out toward the clutch. The other one is smaller and points in the direction of the engine valley. Can be a bit hard to see, depending upon your intake system.

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hans,

Thanks for the help. I know that I changed the "largish" sender that you are referring to many years ago. This resulted in an improvement in the oil pressure as indicated by the needle portion of the gauge. What you are saying about a second sender for driving the light makes sense. I'll check it out.

Nice GT4 in your profile !

Andy