308 Oil spray | FerrariChat

308 Oil spray

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I was driving on the highway the other day and I was 13 miles out of my 15 mile drive and I was just in 4 th gear that I down shifted to and I was revving up to around 4-5K RPMs and I looked back and I see a light spray of oil dropplets on my back window and some white smoke. This caused me great concern and I dropped to 5th and took the off ramp and parked at the closet gas station. I saw oil dropplets all over the deck and I popped it open and it was all over the right side of the engine. and I saw the dip stick popped off, and it seemed to be alot of oil. I was just wondering if so much oil could come out of the loose dip stick. Or If I seem to have a more serious problem and a major oil leak?

Thanks for any responses

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I give you a cyber-slap for not giving year/version and having a blank Profile! ;)

First thing I'd check is the crankcase ventilation system. Find (OM) and remove the crankcase vent line going into your airbox system and rev the engine to ~4K RPM. If:

1. no vapors come out (and your dipstick pops out) -- you've got a blockage somewhere, or

2. if a whole, whole bunch of vapors come out (and your dipstick pops out) -- you could have a hole in a piston, bad ring(s), or some other horrible thing.

Good luck...

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would take a peek at the cam belt area for any blown seals up top and from the drives above the crank. Cross your fingers and hope it aint the cam drive seals.