308 QV Horn Compressor maintenance | FerrariChat

308 QV Horn Compressor maintenance

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cecinestpasunjan, Jun 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    When I tried to dismantle the horn compressor I noticed that it's not very well accessible (without removing any other part).
    I therefore removed the three top screws from the built-in compressor but noticed that the lid did not come off. Is there anything else that holds the lid? It's difficult to see from outside the car.
    Btw, how did you dismount the compressor given that there ist hardly any space for accessing the bolts and screws?

Cheers,
    Jan

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It is a PITA to remove.

However, if you just locate the air intake slot in the cover, & squirt a light oil like air tool oil, or a light machine oil like 3-in-1 into the opening while someone is blowing the horn, it'll do a pretty good job of lubricating it.

There are a couple of different mounts. If I remember correctly, I had to pull the louvers behind the headlights to access the mounting bolt before I could remove mine. The horn sat over a plate with a threaded hole. The plate clamped the horn against the bulkhead via a bolt thru the bulkhead.

This old Fchat thread should help, luckily the pictures survived:
    Fun rebuilding horns and seats...

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/discus/messages/256120/278100.html

BTW, there are a lot more service tips/procedures in the Old Fchat Archives, well worth the effort to search them.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Jan,
    Why are you attempting to rebuild the horn compressor? Is is seized for sure? The reason I ask is because the horn gets power via two different fuses. One fuse runs the relay that clicks on when you push the horn button. That relay then directs current from another fuse to the horn itself. So you can be sitting in the car, push the horn button, hear the relay click, and assume that the horn is therefore busted somehow. In fact it STILL may not be getting power. You should put a voltmeter on the horn itself and then have someone push the horn button and see what's going on. The horn is fed by one of the fuses on the right side of the right fuseblock. This is a known trouble area on 308 fuseblocks because that is one of the fuses that frequently stops working in a fuseblock meltdown.

I had this very issue with my horn and was in fact the first symptom I had that my fuseblocks were melted when I first got the car.

Birdman

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I thought mine was seized but it just needed lube.

5. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    Verell, Birdmann and Matteo,

Your pics and hints are very helpful. Interestingly, the compressor on the picture seems to have a dedicated lubrication nipple while my one doesn't.

I'll check the power supply of the horn first and see what happens.

Having seen the pics it looks like corrosion just glues the cap to the compressor housing.

Thanks so far!

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Mine did not have a nipple as well

When I pressed the horn, all I got was a "click" from the relay.

I undid the 3 screws and pulled the cover off. I was bone dry. I added some oil and sealed it up and pressed the horn and boy oh boy was it loud!

7. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    Okay folks, I got it done.
    The problem was in fact the dry compressor. Fusebox was like new and voltage at the compressor okay. I finally got the compressor out after dismounting the fog light and loosening the two bolts.

Initial test was so successful that the first complaint from a neighbour came in after 20 seconds of horn testing.

Nevertheless, I am not completely satisfied because after pushing the button it takes a few seconds until the full sound develops. Maybe, this problem will disappear after a few uses of the horn.

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The picture is a Birdman's '77 compressor. The newer ones don't have the lube nipple.

Thought my horn was working reasonably well until I cleaned & lubed it. Made the mistake of having someone press the horn button to test it while I was standing in front of the car in my garage. My ears rang for half an hour!

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The Fiaam (whatever) horn is the same as I put in my car. $17. Why rebuild it??

Ken

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Last time I saw a new Fiaam compressor, it was all plastic.

The old ones are nice metal castings. They don't need rebuilding, just degreasing to remove any dried up lubricant, and a shot of fresh oil annually.

11. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    I lubed mine by taking off the top and dropping some 3 in 1 oil in and it made a big difference. Went from no horn (just compressor sound) to hearing a decent honk. Its not ear splitting tho like some have reported. I’d like to try degreasing it. How do you recommend doing that?

Are people getting a super loud sound from the plastic horn? I might try and find the metal horns.

The compressor on my 79 was reasonably easy to get to. There’s not much clearance for a box wrench to rotate from the top but if the wrench is below the compressor, there’s a decent range of motion.

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    IF you pull the compressor blades, Put them back in the EXACT SAME location and orientation.

I was told years ago it DOES Matter, much like bearing caps on a cam.

Not as expensive to fix though.

13. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    After replacing the snail horn with trumpets, way louder now.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The plastic horns are just as loud as the metal ones. If yours are not, it is either an issue with the air compressor not pushing enough air, not enough voltage to the compressor, or the horns are dirty or slightly plugged up. You can also get a completely new set with plastic horns from Fiamm, Hella or Stebel for around $50, includes compressor and hoses. Check around online