308 QV Side View Mirror Issue | FerrariChat

308 QV Side View Mirror Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by Labman, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anyone have any experience with a side view mirror (US version) that gets stuck in one position when trying to adjust it electrically? I guess it's a stripped gear maybe. How do I access it?

2. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    There is a set QV side mirrors for sale in the classified section for 2K.

3. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Wasn't/isn't it a regulation that they can be adjusted manually too? I think the gear drives have a loose train with rounded gears so you can pustthem into position by hand. Can you "help" it along when you try the switch? Maybe there is just a flat spot in the gear?

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes. I can manually adjust without a problem. But I would like to make then operate the way they should. Has anyone attempted to service the gear(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No one has had this issue besides me? :(
    I guess I'm gong to try to pry off the mirror and see if I can get to the gears.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Steve, do you hear the motor running while trying to adjust the mirror except the mirror is not moving?

Labman likes this.
  7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes. Motor runs fine but mirror goes up and down but struggles and skips from side to side. Sounds like a stripped gear. I’m just wondering how to get to it without removing the whole assembly.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is yours a Euro or a US model?

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    US model.

10. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Sorry, our car has the euro mirrors... There were mirrors from that period that had a round disk on the back that when rotated would release the actual mirror. Can you get a look behind it at all? If I remember correctly, the 86 911 "Flag" mirrors have four posts that sit in receivers. Not difficult to get out.

Sorry , f

11. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    Hey Steve

Sorry to hear that. Mine work but they do kind of skip kind of like the gears are starting to strip. i would be curious to see what you find out in the end on this thread.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I could give you some Euro mirror tips, but sadly I know nothing about US mirrors. Except that they reflect stuff.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought I would get a lot of responses about this here. Power side mirrors have to be an issue with someone else besides me!. I'm entering my car in an FCA concours and I need to get this mirror working properly for the Coppa Bella Macchina. I'm afraid to pry the mirror out and breaking it but I don't see any other way it will come out. Again it has power and motor working properly. It's just the side to side where it skips and gets stuck.