308 R134 Charge amount | FerrariChat

308 R134 Charge amount

Discussion in '308/328' started by tomberlin, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I'm getting ready to charge the A/C after a rotary compressor install. Is there a recommended 134 charge amount?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

By the way, Retro Air was bought out by Classic Auto Air and customer service is pretty disappointing. No big deal, but they apparently have no interest in repeat business or positive referrals.

2. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    I charged my Retro Air install by pressure and did not track weight. Sorry to hear customer service has dropped, I got good service from Rock at Retro Air when he was just getting started on the 308 AC - based on experience with a TR6.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Well, that sucks

Did they make any changes to the product or are they just dicks to deal buying one?

4. barry308QV

barry308QV Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Sydney
    24oz or 680g is what they recommended. Although you would want to make sure the pressures didn't go too high while watching a thermocouple in the outlet vent. Dwight from Classic Auto Air was helpful and struggled heroically to compensate for the rest of the organisation.

5. barry308QV

barry308QV Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Sydney
    Tommy, there are some minor changes to the what's shown in the Retroair photo online but still largely the same as of May. Buying from them wasn't a problem and they made good on their mistakes no matter how many times it took.

6. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Dr. Tommy-
    They didn't seem interested in making good on an obvious price issue and an issue with what was advertised and what was delivered. Nice enough people but I was a bit disappointed in being stonewalled about what I eventually paid and got versus what what advertised. The excuse was "That's Retro Air's website, not ours". Problem is they now own Retro Air so it is their website. But that problem paled compared to my problems with another well known supplier.
    Right now Classic seems to be the only choice so if need be I would use them again, my warning to you guys was just "be prepared" when dealing with them.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Were you sent less than a complete kit? Were parts not included that you had to purchase separately?

This is a project I am interested in so I probably need to go in knowing exactly what they are going to send me vs back in the Retro Air days

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am also interested in this kit. What does it include?

Compressor
    Hoses
    mounting bracket(s) needed in the conversion
    drier

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

We may need to buy now and at least get everything while we still can, even if we just shelve it for later

10. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    #10 tomberlin, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login The kit Retro lists or listed was a bracket, lots of nuts and bolts, a belt, hose adapters, and the compressor for $599.
    When I called to order the call was directed to Classic, who said they now own Retro, and the price was now approx. $650.
    When the kit arrived there was not a belt in the box. I called and was told the belt is no longer part of the kit.
    I had bought a kit from another supplier but had problems with the compressor that have yet to be resolved.
    The bracket from the first kit I got was tidier looking so I used that, with the Retro compressor. I installed it and and all appears to be well.
    I know there's differing opinions on this but I used 134 with a new expansion valve and receiver drier. I did not replace the hoses.
    By the way, BMW part number 64 53 1 466 051 receiver drier (below)is a much tidier fit than the one recommended on the F-Chat cross reference list.

11. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Very interested in how well your system maintains pressure. I did change the hoses because I was warned by several that the R134 molecule is much smaller than R12 and would leak out of the more porous original hoses. The hoses for R134 are “double walled”.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Tom, you have to change the hoses. If you don't change the hoses to a 134 compatible barrier hose - you will continually lose the 134, it will seep out through the old hose material. It isn't if, it's when. Believe me.

13. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    As I stated I know there are differing opinions. I've seen 134 in R-12 systems literally countless times back when there were lots of R-12 cars running around and not lots of R-12. I don't doubt some have, but I never experienced a leak problem I could blame on porous hoses. If the hoses turn out to be a leak problem I'll go back to R-12.
    I appreciate the input.

Cheers,
    Tom

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

It isn't that easy, Tom. You cannot simply recharge the empty system with R12 after the 134 leaked out and just call it a day.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am trying to help you not make the same big ass mistakes I did - twice - with two different cars that were previously R12. The oils are not compatible.

I promise you, that 134 is just not going to stay in those hoses. Just do it right once and swap the hoses.

15. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    They made good on none of the mistakes I encountered, and were absolutely not interested in devising a solution.
    Your experience was different than mine. I came up short roughly $100., not a big deal in the Ferrari world but at least credit me for the belt- make me feel like a little less of a chump. They did offer me a call tag and a return authorization number rather than making good on a business model that borders on being a bait and switch scam. And yes, it was the same Dwight you dealth with.

16. barry308QV

barry308QV Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Sydney
    Well I feel your pain. I had a couple of months of "terse" emails when the two replacement hoses were both wrong. Must have really hosed their profit margins sending these things out to Australia. So I guess the reason why an RMA was not offered. Ultimately I had the hose made locally and sent them the invoice which they paid. Just trying to be fair here but yes, at the time, really really annoying.

17. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Well the a/c in my car appears to be working, using a combination of the 2 kits I bought. Good luck to both of us!
    Cheers mate-
    Dr Tom I appreciate your input, truly, but for the 20 years 134 has been around that’s not been my experience.
    Time will tell of course.