308 tyres - what's currently recommended? | FerrariChat

308 tyres - what's currently recommended?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Mar 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello together,

I searched a lot of threads, but since tyres are a subject of permanent development and improvement, I have to ask again. I need fresh tyres for my GTB. I have 16"-wheels. What is currently recommended? My preferences are a smooth ride, a wide limit range, not too soft and since living in Germany, safe under wet conditions. A nice thread pattern would be nice to have, but would come second. Means, I would not go so far paying the price for the new classic Pirelli P7, as long as there are no experiences about driveability.

In the past I had:
    Goodyear Eagles. The worst. Not safe in dry and even unsafe under wet conditions. Rough ride after reaching a certain amount of wear.

Michelin Pilot Sport 1.gen. The best but no more available. Met all my preferences except a thread pattern, which no way did suit a 70s car.

Pirelli P Zero Nero. No more available in both dimensions. And much too soft for my taste anyway. Though very safe in the wet. And a nice wide limit range in dry conditions.

Best Regards and thanks in advance
    Martin

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    With 16s you are on the hunt for 225x50s & 205x55s. The fronts are easy but (here in the UK at least) the choice on the rear is much more limited. It seems that there are different tyres available in different markets. There are basically no 225x50x16 Michelins here that I can see on their website . The best option has been the P7 Cincurato. Bridgestone's website are now showing nothing available. Goodyear are showing one tyre & also a Dunlop Sportmax, Michelin is only showing some winter tyres & Pirelli just has the Cincurato P7. One of the big online tyre suppliers is showing some Michelins & Bridgestones but if they are not on the manufacturers site then who knows where they have come from.

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks Iain,

surprising, that even within Europe markets are different. On the german Pirelli-site I can find both Cinturato P7 and PZero Rossa in my needed sizes.

Best Regards
    Martin

4. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Hi Martin,

What about the Continental ContiSportContact (Porsche N2 designated) that are recommended for the 80's Porsche 911 G model Carrera on 16" rims? Size, load and speed rating are all OK.

I think they're still available and Porsche must have thoroughly tested them before they got their N2 designation.

I've had good experiences with the ContiSportContact but not on a 308, although I know someone who had a good experience with a set on one. The feedback was good on noise, grip, comfort and wear.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks Ross,
    but the front ones -205/55-16- are not available.

Best Regards
    Martin

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm getting new 16's this week... currently the car has Bridgestone Potenzas that are no longer made; can't really tell how I feel about them, as they're quite past their prime. The new tire plan is Firehawk Indy 500.

FrannyB likes this.
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Try Doral SDL made by Sumitomo. For a daily driver they are not bad.

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have the BFGoodrichs on my 308 about 1000 miles and I like them very much. They are still available for our sizes and at a reasonable price. I did not drive them in the rain so don't know how they behave. I thought about the Mich Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but did not like the tread pattern not aggressive looking enough.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    On his 308 a friend in Europe has Toyo T1R with which he is very happy

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the Michelin "Pilot Exalto 2" are easily available here "on the continent" in both dimensions, front and rear. It is the favourite tyre, by far, of the small community of 308/328 owners on our french forum. I have these on my two cars (328 GTB & 328 GTS) even if I would have prefered to keep the GTS on Goodyears, as it was originally delivered new in Germany, so fitted with Goodyears. The GTB was among the small number of late french 328s, so originally fitted with the rare Michelin MXX (not TRX, MXX) which is no longer available, so the Pilot Exalto 2 acts as an acceptable substitute.
    Rgds

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #12 Martin308GTB, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Alberto,

I know of the P7 classic. But like mentioned in my first post, I won't go so far putting tread pattern looks on top of my priority list.
    I need a tire, which performs. Looks come second. And so far there are no experiences about driveability of the P7 classic.
    And as long as there are no long time experiences I surely won't pay three to four times the price compared to a modern, common tire. Just for looks.

Best Regards
    Martin

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks Bruno,
    these were not on 'my radar'. Just looked and they are indeed available everywhere. Will ask for a quote in my tire shop this afternoon.

Best Regards
    Martin

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Martin,
    Note that these are considered as "summer" tyres, so I don't know if that will satisfy your need for a tyre able to sustain rain: as always, it depends "how much rain"....but you should be able to find information about their drivability on the net rather easily.
    (I'm slightly surprised that you haven't "gone back" to 14-inchers; I love the look of 14 inchers on carbed cars...)

Rgds

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    do I have to call the "police of taste" :)
    O.k., I like the 14"-wheels too. But I still like the 16" better.

Best Regards
    Martin

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh no, no need to call the "Police for taste" (it has already a lot to do in many matters...) as long as it is not "an insult to good taste" ("Une insulte au bon goût"). I do not dislike the 16' on a 308, but somehow, I always think "14' " when I think of a carbed 308.
    Rgds

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    This car guy (that was with us at Pirelli test track soma days ago) told me they work very well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In any case the most important thing is what I wrote in my two posts:

"spent a day Yesterday at Pirelli test track in Vizzola Ticino, Italy. We participaded with our cars to a Pirelli video making about classic Pirelli tires lineup (it will be shown at @@@@@ @'@@@@ this year), with more or less twenty classic cars of different ages and brands. We talked a lot with the Pirelli Classic tires dept boss, and he explained us how they choose the correct tire compound for classic cars, and why we should avoid to put on our 40 years old car a tire that is designed for present day cars (expecially if it's a street legal race tire or something like that). A wonderful day."

"...I had no interest about the CN36 so I talked with them just about P7 and Pzero. What they told me in general was this: there are some cars (eg. classic Porsche 911) that can become very hard to control with todays tires so they have to find the best balance between the old compound and the modern compounds, to have a good aderence without modifying too much the original car handling and safety. And that it's not easy."

For those reasons I would avoid top grip actual tyres (the semiracing ones). I'm very satisfied with very simple and cheap actual Pirelli Cinturato P7 (I have the VR in the 208 turbo, as its top speed for Italian MOT department is 238 kmh so the V speed code is enough: that's the real top speed and not the "advertised" one). Next time I will go for the P7 Classic YR (they weren't available when I got my standard P7).

Picture Copyright

ciao

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Alberto,

how are the P7 Cinturato in regard to steering precision? This was, what did bother me the most with my PZero Nero. Though they were very forgiving and controllable with a wide limit range.
    The Cinturato P7 are meanwhile also available here in Y and W.

Best and thanks
    Martin

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #19 Albert-LP, Mar 27, 2019

Martin, please consider that I don't remind in any way Gilles Villeneuve (as I'm much taller…), so I drive gently my car. In my opinion with the standard Pirelli P7 VR the steer is ok with a great feeling. I had some steering feeling problem with the old steering rack and pinion plus the old suspension joints.

I know that the P7 are available in higher speed codes, but the V code is ultra cheap, has a good design pattern, works well and is 100% legal with the early 208 turbo (as well as the 2V injected cars). It's road legal on 328 too (as you have the V code also for 328 MOT documents) but you know it cannot go over 240 km/h so it could be very dangerous (in Germany…).

What you complaint about it's exactly what Pirelli techincians told us: with ultra grip modern tires the car is no more what it had to be. They know it as Ferrari went to that track to set the car before production (Dario Benuzzi told me several anecdotes about that) so they know that a car must have correct tires to perform the way Dario Benuzzi set it (he was the one that set our cars). Every day they test new cars and the suspension setting is done around the tires and vice versa (I talked a lot with the Pirelli test driver that set the Lamborghini Urus at that track).

ciao

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Bruno,

just visited my tire shop for a quote for different tyres. First of all I have to correct myself. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 are not available in Y/W.
    I settled for the Michelin Exalto 2. One question, before I order them, since you have them on your cars.
    How are they regarding steering precision?

BTW; regarding a previous comment from you about 'summer tyres'. A good summer tire is also good in rain. I do not plan to drive my 308 on ice or snow :) But occasionally I get caught by rain and want to maintain a secure feeling. (BTW, when driving to Le Mans a few years ago, it rained without interruption from Strasbourg till Chartres)
    Though the first tyres I had, the dreaded Goodyear Eagles, were literally dangerous on any wet surface.

Best Regards and thank you
    Martin

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #21 Martin308GTB, Mar 27, 2019
    Thanks Alberto,

they look nice. Unfortunately, like already mentioned in my post to Bruno, I was wrong. I just was at my tire shop during lunch break and they said, they cannot get them in Y or W.
    I would have somehow preferred an italian tire on an italian car, but Michelin is still o.k., since I associate them with Le Mans, Tour Auto, Clermont-Ferrand, and luckily not with PSA.
    I have even dutch tyres on my Fiat (Vredestein, at least with inscription 'Giugiaro Design') and Vredestein too on my '72 Alfa, which is the best tire I ever had on that car.

Regarding 'gently driving'. Me too of course with such an old furniture. But it has nothing to do with speed. Nothing better for me, than a crisp steering feel through the tight twisties.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #22 Albert-LP, Mar 27, 2019
    Martin, as said, there isn't a good tire and a bad tire, but there is a good tire and bad tire for THAT car model as every car is different.

PZero has Z speed code , Cinturato P7 is a cheap tire so just H and V speed codes.

For wet road you have to look at the specific letter: A is excellent, B good, C is poor. PZero has an A, Cinturato P7 has a B. Cheap China tires have C.

https://www.reifendirekt.de/

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Martin,

As far as I can tell (I'm not a very experienced driver...), they are nice regarding steering precison. The weather your car is experiencing, and the weather my cars are experiencing, cannot be very different, as we are separated by 200 kms at most, or 120 miles. Driving conditions are the same: I avoid rain as much as I can, but things being what they are, from time to time, you cannot avoid getting caught by it....

Rgds

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Michelin has a 'B'. Conti Sportcontact, for which I have an offer too, have an 'A' in one listing, and a 'B' in the other listing. Both on reifendirekt.de
    Not useful. I get confused by the fact, that the same tire in different sizes gets different letters.
    For example, the Dunlop SportMaxx, which was offered me too, has an 'A' for our rear size, and a 'C' for the front size.
    But I think, A or B should be o.k. for me. Like said, I want a safe feeling in the wet, when occasionally caught in the rain. I don't cancel hotel bookings, since it started to rain. And I don't plan to emulate Jacky Ickx :)
    BTW. I'm surprised. The best prices I get in my neighbourhood village tire shop and not on any websites.

Best Regards
    Martin

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have FULDAs, but have not installed them so cannot comment on road feel.

They are the proper size, and it's a subsidiary of Goodyear.
    Limited availability I think they produce them once a year for our vintage application.

Dunlop has started making the correct size, also.....