308 Water Pump Rebuild Advice | FerrariChat

308 Water Pump Rebuild Advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by vogel, Sep 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vogel

vogel Karting

Jun 21, 2001
    Powder Springs, GA
    Full Name:
    Charles Byrd
    All,
    I need to rebuild my water pump. I would like to try it myself, but what parts, and where do I find them? If I cannot do it myself, where in Georgia can I get it rebuilt?

Thanks up front.

Charles

2. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Working from memory, and it is very poor, I rebuilt my water pump maybe 15 years ago using standard industrial/commercial parts. Keep in mind that there were a few versions of the water pump used over the years and by now most cars have had their pump replaced by "improved" versions. The bearings were everyday common bearings available at any bearing supplier and the seal was the same as used in a Jacuzzi brand spa pump, again a common industrial part. IIRC I had about $50-60 into the parts. At the time I was working in R&D for industrial production machinery so I had access to supplier catalogs, measuring tools, machine shop, blast cabinet and other things that you may not have available.

3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I sent mine to Brian Crall http://www.hillcountryferrari.com/
    In Texas
    He rebuilt my original 1978 pump and installed the later single piece seal.

Excellent work and excellent price, call him.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Irishman, miketuason and waymar like this.
  5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    A suggestion....
    Always do a search on the 308 forum to validate any suggestions / referrals / methods prior to making any decision.
    It will save you time, frustration, and money.

I am not saying the above referral (Flying Dutchmen) is bad. I have no experience with them.

7. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I ordered the seal and gaskets from Superformance in the UK. The bearings came from an SKF reseller locally.

I guess a heat gun might be necessary if the bearings are stuck to the shaft. Other than that, nothing special.

8. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    My experience is don't waste your time and effort. Get a new hi volume pump from Forza. I did on my 308 and never had an overheating issue again. I forget the actual gpm rating but it is hands above the original. I would never trust a rebuilt water pump on a Ferrari period. How much is an engine rebuild after your used rebuilt water pump fails and toasts your block????

just sayin'

tr0768

9. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yes, very much agree.

While expensive insofar as water pumps are concerned, I would do the Forza pump again in a heartbeat.

Remember: "It is the stingy man who pays the most at the end of the day".

10. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    When my '85 QV with its original pump (brass impeller and with the large bearing on QVs) needed work, I had a local Ferrari shop rebuild it. I have no knowledge or experience whatsoever with Forza, but there are other replacement pumps out there that are inferior to the original part. It cost more to rebuild it, but the shop took me through everything they did, they back up their work, and I like that my car retains its original pump. Just one owner's viewpoint!

11. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Alex308qv likes this.
  12. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    My 328 had 25 years in service when I rebuilt the WP. The seal was completely dry so it was well overdue. The bearings were just fine until I pulled them out. There was still a fair amount of grease inside them.

I would guess these pumps just barely last 15 years - maybe only 10.

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's very kindly said. Those pumps are plain crap.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin