308 Window Speedup! | FerrariChat

308 Window Speedup!

Discussion in '308/328' started by ArtH, Jun 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtH

ArtH Rookie

May 16, 2005
    N. Virginia
    Hi everyone.

Didn't take me more than a couple hours from when I got my new (and first) 79 308 GTS home, to roll up my sleeves and get genuine Ferrari grease and dirt on on my hands fixing a few things.

I opened up the drivers door, and fixed the lock which wouldn't lock reliably (main reason to get inside the door), and at the same time I freed up and lubed all the window pulleys. There's 6 or so plastic pulleys guiding the winding cable, and they were all seized up by hardened grease, putting extra strain on the motors and the pulleys.

Quite an easy fix! Only one pulley is in a position to remove to properly clean and grease, so for all the others I sprayed penetrating oil on them to loosen them up, then dripped in some oil. All move nicely now and the window is a little faster! Another day I'll do the passenger side.

The previous owner's mechanic said he rebuilt the motors, but they were very slow regardless, and the mechanic didn't lube the pulleys.

So check the cable pulleys next time you open up a door or want to speed up your windows.

I also discovered the Italians learned from Lucas Electrics! My Triumph has steel electrical connector spade lugs in a number of places, and when I took out the license plate lights on the 308--yep, the light assembly is all steel except for the + connector which is brass.

Art in VA
    79 GTS
    81 Truimph TR7

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm glad to hear that I can speed mine up without taking the entire thing apart. There was no way I was going to try that

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    ..though with use they seem to have improved. I should look at doing this though. I was under the impression that the winder motor also suffered the same.

There was an article in the FOC UK's mag regarding 348 winder mechanisms going slow and the main culprit being hardened grease.