308GT4/Mondial 8/Mondial QV comparisons and impressions. | FerrariChat

308GT4/Mondial 8/Mondial QV comparisons and impressions.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by johnireland, Aug 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    For some reason I can't get rid of the fantasy (dream?) that there will be one more Ferrari in my life. And looking at market prices, if it's going to happen, it will probably be a Mondial 8. Which is why I'm posting this here, and in the 308 section.

I know the Mondial 8 has probably the worst power to weight ratio of the three...and I know it had electrical gremlins that can easily be addressed. I've driven a 308GT4 years ago...owned a 308 GTSi. What I'm really interested in is driving impressions for these three specific cars, ideally from people who have driven and/or owned all three...or two of the tree...or just one. I'm also old fashioned and like my cars to have all four tires and wheels the same size.

I'm leaving out the 3.2 and T models because that's pushing my fantasy into pure fantasy...and I like the older cars. And since beggars can't be choosers, I'm open to the cabs, though I prefer coupes. So, if you're in the mood, I'd love to read your impressions of the models.

paulchua likes this.
  2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I have bought and sold many of these cars, and have owned many examples of them in my personal collection as well. I’ve driven Mondials on multiple cross country trips and have a lot of seat time in them.

You won’t have to worry about a Mondial 8 cab, because the cab didn’t come until the QV.

Values on the 8 and the QV are actually relatively the same. It all comes down to condition, history, color, etc. I would prefer the QV to the 8, just for that little extra power. The Mondial needs it more than the 308 because of the weight. So, apples to apples, if you’re going Mondial, I would look for a QV over an 8.

And, a Euro car is preferred, because of the lesser weight. Just stay away from Euro cars that were butchered up in period for federalization.

Compared to the 308 GT4, the Mondial definitely feels more modern. Styling comes down to what you prefer; I love the Bertone wedge look and the interior of the GT4, but I also really love the Pininfarina interpretation of the 2+2 mid engine car as well.

Driving-wise, the 308 GT4 has those lovely carbs sucking air behind you. The thin rim steering wheel, that amazing wraparound dash with the gauges… it feels very special. The Mondial definitely feels heavier (and is) but it equally has its charms. More GT than pure sports car, but I like that. And, strangely enough, a Mondial draws more attention these days than a 308, if you’re into that. It’s quirky but very very cool.

I hope this helps. I have an amazing Euro Mondial QV coupe coming to market very soon, a car that I know very well. DM or email me if you’re interested.

Norseman, paulchua, moysiuan and 2 others like this.
  3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Mondial QV is the way to go. Superior to 308 and 328 in handling and comfort. Smoother in driving and internal disturbing noises are less. You get more car for your money !!

paulchua, ellum and Edgewood121 like this.
  4. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Buy the best condition possible with good history. I own a QV coupe but there is absolutely nothing wrong with an 8. An 8 makes great sounds. The beauty is in the design and the enjoyment is in the chassis. An 8 will go fast enough to enjoy for most people. (just keep those revs up!). Super-rare in the US but I think a euro Mondial 8 would be a great value if you could find one in good-enough condition. But the engine in a QV/3.2 is a jewel.

Coupes are rare. Cabs represent more frequent opportunities but it's anyone's guess whatever hits the market at any given time.

My QV coupe is solid (maybe porky?) and well-planted. Zero regrets and all joy. Only frustration is these cars are long-legged and I always seem to run out of space en route to over 5000rpms (either not enough road or suddenly too much traffic).

paulchua and ellum like this.
  5. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don’t have that much seat time in the 308GT4 but as mentioned above that feels like a much more vintage car by comparison to my QV. I think it’s fair to say that the 308GT4 its more of a shot of adrenaline compared to the later cars but if I was going to actually do a road trip I’d take a Mondial in heartbeat. Feels significantly more refined and substantial while still being very mechanically direct.

Please don’t take that as not being appreciative of how much find a 308GT4 is.

paulchua likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Thank you for your replies. I guess it is time for me to go do some driving. Based on market prices and the look of the future of the economy, and the size of my wallet, I see myself in a Mondial 8...maybe a QV (coupe preferred). Yes, time for me to go do some driving.

paulchua likes this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have a Mondial 3.2 cab, but my very old father is the original owner of a 1979 Fiat X19. I must say I love my Mondial, but the Fiat is a great driving vehicle, sounds better than one might expect given its non exotic powertrain, and it shares many Bertone styling cues with the 308 GT4. Budget's aside, it is a compelling real Italian flavoured choice in its own right.

I also see values on the up for ones in top condition.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    GT4 for me, it’s the most underrated Ferrari.

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Have owned a Mondial QV coupe, now a 3.2 coupe. Also had a 74 GT/4.

Wish I kept the GT/4.
    Sold because I just had too many cars to manage. Love my 3.2 20 years later still.
    At the time my priorities were sharing with my young kids who loved going for rides. Mondial has more room inside, safer.

Kids now too big for back seat, and seldom around for rides. GT/4 especially the Euro model is stunning. Great drive when sorted. Mine was not, but still fun.

Drove an 8. Slow, but more afraid of rust showing. Later QVs had zinc treatment i believed.
    Obviously the best example of any model is a good starting point

JayG, ellum, djs308 and 1 other person like this.