308QV Wheel Repair? | FerrariChat

308QV Wheel Repair?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PhilB, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I did a bad thing.....

Was backing out of my garage, and I didn't realize that one of my ramps fell over towards my car. My front passenger wheel caught the ramp, and the wheel chipped. It's not leaking air, but it's bad enough.

I live on the East Coast, NYC neighborhood. Anyone know if the wheels can be repaired, and who does that type of work. Or do I just buy a new one and toss this one in the heap?

Any advice.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
  3. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    The only thing I would caution is to make sure that anyone repairing the wheels that involves welding to be aware that they are real Magnisium, hence the term MAG. not aluminum. The filler metals are not compatible, and although the weld may appear OK, it will have no strength, and will break at the weld in short time. An old welding trick to tell the differance is to put a drop of "Tinner's Fluid" found in major hardware stores. If it doesn't react, then it is Aluminum, if it is Magnesium, on the other hand, the drop will react like acid, bubbling, and darkening the metal. So any testing should be done on an area that does not show.
    This works for any casting, or part in question as to the material.
    HTH,
    Kermit