328 AC Compressor Replacement Option - 2024 | FerrariChat

328 AC Compressor Replacement Option - 2024

Discussion in '308/328' started by slfan, May 17, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Dear All,

I need to replace the AC Compressor in my 1986 Euro 328. I found a lot of old posts on the topic (several with outdated links). Would like to know if anybody has done this recently or has a recommendation of a currently available compressor. Greatly appreciate anybody´s feedback here.

Thank you & best regards,
    AM

MaranelloMark likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    I did the GT Car parts kit about 4 months ago. Uses a modern Japanese compressor. There's a lot of things that need to be replaced and this kit had most of it. The only real issue is that the modern gas is easy to leak out. It runs very quietly when in operation. My temp was about 45F degree coming out the vents when up and running.

It takes a qualified person to install it. My mechanic has done several so he went through the issues. My old compressor completely froze which snapped the belt. Luckily I was going to do a major service with T belts so that helped offset some cost.

mixedgas and slfan like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He has a gray market car so it already should have the round compressor in it.

TheMayor likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Compressor should be an off the shelf item. I think it is a Sanden 508.

slfan likes this.
  5. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Hello The Mayor,

Thank you for the information and guidance: it is greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, this compressor option available at GT Car parts is only for US market cars. My car is a French market (Euro) car and according the GT Car parts their compressor does not fit on my car.
    Regardless, once again thanks,
    AM

6. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Okay. Will search for this.
    Thank you!

7. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It was a Sanden R12 SD 507 that was fitted to euro spec cars of that era. The R134a equivalent is an SD7H13. This compressor comes with many different head port configurations, mounting ears and pulley sizes. They are readily available but you may have to change pulleys and or heads over to suit your car if exactly what you want isn't available.

slfan likes this.
  8. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Freddie328,

Thank you very much! Will search for the R134 version and play close attention to the details you mentioned.

Best regards,
    AM