328 Condenser Air Flow | FerrariChat

328 Condenser Air Flow

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 328GTB, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Which direction is the correct air flow through the condenser? Red or blue?

2. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I'm trying to address the fan direction flow with this question.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would say in the red direction, but the direction of rotation of the fan would confirm it, if it rotates clockwise looking from the condensor side, then the red arrow is correct. This all supposes that this sketch is accurate of course.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's got to be the blue direction (you wouldn't want to restrict the hot exit side of a radiator with a reducing duct -- well, unless you're desperate;)). (No direct experience for me with the AC ducting on a 328, but) I think you should match the fan's airflow direction to the natural airflow direction caused by coachwork forward motion.
    If the fan blew in the blue direction would this dump the hot air into the front wheel well like a TR?

5. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I would have to say Blue, because it sucks in air thru the RH side of the front grill and dumps it into the wheel well as 91tr thought. It would be unlikely to move in the other direction because it would have to dump air in a high pressure area and thru a restriction.

6. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    The correct answer is blue. It is a "pull" fan.....I know this as I just replaced one on my 1986 328GTS. The SPAL part number ends in an "A" which means "pull".

If you do replace this fan, do know that the early model 328 fans are different than the later models.

7. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That makes sense. Do you know what activates the sensor on the condenser? The one at the base of the blue arrow?

Thanks

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Heat/temperature -- the "sensor" is a thermal SPST switch. Its concave head is held against the straight part of the rigid tube exiting the AC condensor by the U-shaped spring clip. When the hot compressed refrigerant in this tube exceeds a certain temperature (which I can't recall now but it's hot), the switch closes, turning the condensor fan "on", so it's important that the sensor head have good physical contact with the tube.