328 down, can't be fixed: try again | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 down, can't be fixed: try again

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jarends, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Correct---Italian electronics via the crappy connectors and Ferrari's lackadaisical attitude towards the electrical system especially shown in the multitude of floating grounds a F-car owner has to correct as the years roll by, myself included. The winking headlights only corrected by re-grounding each headlight and the rear taillight electricals as well. I suspect Ferrari didn't correct their production standards in the later years. Basically speaking, most european auto manufacturers, especially the brits and the Italians do not protect the connections from the elements, especially the higher humidity areas along the coast of CA. If air and moisture can get inside of the male and female connectors, gradually, deposits will start wrecking havoc via higher resistance on the contact points. Eventually this leads to high resistance which leads to high heat at that point of high resistance. Anyone ever experience the fabulous fuse blocks? :) Most everyone here has. Slightly different problem(pop riveted fuse block holders), but same end result. GM FI systems are pretty darn reliable now from what I have heard. I would not know from current experience cuz I refuse to own a GM car period since my experience with my 1984 Z28. A complete POS. The TPI system is reliable, but back in the early 80's, the CFI (Cease Fire Injection) system was used and could not be corrected by GM's engineers. The faults with the TPI and the CFI were primarily attributed to the design of the system, NOT the electricals. Wiring harnesses IMO are very well protected and the connectors properly protected, even for a mass produced car.

If your'e going to bombard the car with sensors up the ying-yang to support the FI system, you better darn well protect your sensors/wiring/connectors the best you can, otherwise, you are diminishing significantly the reliability of these cars and making mechanics rich. My 2 cents.