328 fog lights | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 fog lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by brent Lachelt, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #26 brent Lachelt, Nov 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Dave,

Here is a pic of the cut wires. One white, one pink, one black and one pink and black. How do I know what terminal does what on the switch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    If you can wait until Saturday, I'll post how my car is wired.
    Nevertheless, you'll need to find where the wires have been spliced and correct that before the switch will work.

Kurt

3. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Kurt,

That would be wonderful. I can wait til Saturday because the new switch will not be here until friday. I tested the wires in the picture and the pink/black wire is the only one that is hot (when the head lights are on). Also the wire that I said was white is really white with a blue stripe (missed the stripe on the back side). I'll be looking for where this system was modified today and Thursday. Thanks again for your help.

Brent

4. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    The four wires to the switch are correct and working. In my previous post I said that the only wire that was hot was the pink/black wire. Actually the white and blue stripe wire is hot too (bad cnnection on testing). This wire actually also connects to the rear window defrost switch too as per 328 wiring diagram. So I have 2 hot and 2 ground. I will begin to trace back to find the modification.

5. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I hooked the wires to one of the other switches (they looked the same). This is what happened: Fog lights now work on low beam. You turn on the headlights, press down on the fog light switch and the fog lights come on along with the indicator light on the dash. This seems correct. (Thanks for the offer Kurt, but I figured out where the wires go on the switch). However, I wasn't able to determine why the fog lights come on with the high beams regardless if the fog light switch is on or off. Also if I just have the parking lights on and then also depress the fog light switch I only get the parking lights. No fog lights. It sound like some people get both the parking lights and fog lights on together when both switches are pressed? Not sure where to look next. Checked behind fuse panel at the head lights etc. Ideas?

6. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Brent,
    You can find a copy of the 328 wiring diagram here:
    http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/
    At least this will give you a starting point.
    The lighting system on these cars are quite complicated - lots of relays controlling other relays - so its not that easy to trace whats happening when you throw a switch.

I'm not quite sure how the wires are connected to get the results you are mentioning, but I will give it some thinking the next couple of days.

From your description I would guess that the innofficial wiring is probably done in connection with the fuse box or very close. Look for non-original wiring - usually such wiring is quite easy to spot, different gauge, different texture on wires, aftermarket connectors, soldering and so on.

Kurt