328 GTB or GTS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 GTB or GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #51 miketuason, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I always loved the GTB. When it was time to buy, I convinced myself that I was getting 'more' car with a GTS because I could take the top off and get the wind in my hair on occasion. GTB's were even cheaper at the time. I bought a GTS.

I've regretted it ever since.

3. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

GTB's are the prettiest.
    Clean lines, swooping roofline to tail section, and the extra side windows give it a more airy look.
    This is just how the 308 was designed.
    The GTS is a bit of a compromise (design-wise) but I can understand that people like the open top.

I love pure perfect design, so I own a euro GTB (a 308 because it is even more pure than a 328).

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I say it again: the rigidity advantage of the GTB is not overblown at all: you feel it already in first gear, during the first 50 yards of a drive. Anyone who is regularly driving both will tell you so: it is marked. The superiority of the GTB in rigidity is extremly apparent, even to a casual driver.

Rgds

Albert-LP likes this.
  6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's obvious neither of them have had the opportunity to compare a GTS vs GTB because you're exactly right. 50 yards is all it takes to feel--and hear--the difference.

Albert-LP likes this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    while its pretty, the GTB has a smoother line and the roof is actually slightly curved vs. the flat top of the GTS.

No worries if you are a GTS owner like my self. they are both great cars, but realty says the GTB is better ... in terms of desirability as it is much more rare, and stiff... and has a pure line... GTS however is the car that everyone thinks of... so its the Fan favorite ... and in the south, you need some open roof motoring here and again... to keep cool.

I can say having driven both on track and off, the GTB is more "crisp", but also a lot hotter in side, and a bit more cramped. ( 5"11 here ) ... but they are both great cars. I would argue that they are the last Ferrari Sports cars... in the same meaning as an MG is a sports car... or lotus esprit... or Porsche 911 SC. ... those are sports cars, modern Ferrari's are super exotic luxury cars...

miketuason likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I bought my GTB first, in september 2008; it was my first choice.
    Then, by a strange quirk of hasard, it so happened that two years later I was admiring a nice GTS on the Internet; I thought the car was in Switzerland. I asked for the chassis number for my database, and the guy answered by giving me also the adress were the car could be seen: it was exactly at ten minutes from my parisian flat, by foot. To cut a long story short (it has some asides) I went to see the car out of sheer curiosity and eventually bought it.

At the time, I expected to keep the two side by side for about six months, and then sell one, keeping the one that "made the most sense" to me. Almost seven years later, I still have the two, because, as said above, they are actually very different and do not serve the same purpose.
    Even for me, a very mediocre driver at best, it is obvious that the GTB is a much better driving machine: try both in a succession of twisties, and there is simply no comparison. The GTB is sharper, more precise; the GTS can't even compare. On the other hand, take a cool nice evening at the end of the summer or beginning of the autumn, and the GTS with the top off is simply ideal.
    I don't usually hesitate between the two: according to the conditions ahead for traffic, type of roads, weather, etc...the choice is always evident.

Rgds

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With the GTS, once the Targa top is remove, sky is the limit. :)

10. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I just ride very few miles with a GTS. So I can't really compare them.

But I can compare my two GTB ! And she are ...different. Heaven I think one of them have tired shock absorbers.
    30 years old car can age in different way. It may also be part of the explanation of differences

11. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Nicely put, Mike :)

12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I prefer GTS

13. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    May I suggest we move to another discussion. Here the conclusion is that some prefer GTS others GTB and others maybe GT4. Maybe better is to discuss why/why not P versus F or L or German versus Italian versus US classic performance cars, that is likely less boring than subject discussion...........

14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I agree.
    BUT... I live in South Florida so it's GTS and she's topless most of the time.

What's nicer than a drive in an open Ferrari when the weather is nice?

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Not true, I have driven both. I agree with your comment on the rigidity, but in my opinion it doesn't outweigh the fun factor of having a roofless car for when the mood takes you to remove the top.

I also agree that back in the day the GTS sold so well as people liked the versatility, and hence far more were built.

So much so that here in Australia no 328 GTB's were ever officially imported by the then importer.

16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    For taller/bigger/older people it's A LOT easier to get in and out of a GTS with the roof off. Not so with the GTB or a GTS with the roof on.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    GTSs always sold much better in the USA, which was the most important market for Ferraris, accounting for about 35% of the sales overall, but much more for open cars. F-Chatter "Alberto-LP" who lives near Modena posted some italian statistics on the sales: 67% (yes, sixty-seven) of the 3200 carbed 308 GTS produced were sold in the USA...during the first year of production or so, the proportion even reached above 75%...
    Rgds

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I thought this thread was worthy of a bump.

eyeman1234, miketuason and 308 milano like this.
  19. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    LOL, back in the beginning you would have complete conversations with yourself when you had multiple screen names. Now you just resurrect every old thread that tickles your fancy.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For the 1989 model year, it seems there were between 38 and 45 GTB’s delivered to the US. Does anyone have a strong sense of how many US GTS’s were produced for that same model year?

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, I don't have the exact figure, which could be found probably easier from the US side as Ferrari didn't communicate figures on Model Year production, only on calendar years, but by expanding on the usual 30 to 32% of the total production for the US market, a ballpark would be "about 450".

Rgds

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I can't get certificate but I have 446 '89 US type GTS in my data. The first US 1989 model should #78835 and the last #82961. I tried to have any information about cars that were delivered new by FNA in Canada and USA but I never get anything ( even here ). Until today, I don't know any other country where US type 328 were sold new.

1989 US GTB number are 37. Think @furmano can confirm and a know member have registration plate : 1OF37 on his B ! Think you know him

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #73 nerofer, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    I agree on these numbers, Bertrand, as we have exchanged some information about this a few months ago.

However, according to the information I have, we should add that:
    - #78479, even if way below #78835, has nevertheless a "K" VIN already, so is a MY '89 indeed. Why is it so: why do we have a single MY '89 isolated among the last serie of MY '88, I am unable to tell.
    - Although in numbers #82961 is indeed the last US Model GTS built, the last to actually arrive on US soil was #82933. That car was for sale a few years ago: is has been kept for a few more weeks in Italy after it has been built, for a dedication ceremony as the last US 328 by Piero Lardi-Ferrari; so the last one in numbers is #82961, but the last one to actually arrive in the US was #82933.

- As for US GTBs, if my memory serves me well, there is at least one car intended for the US, so an US model, but that never left Europe and was sold new in Italy, which is # 80682 (?); I have been unable so far to be absolutely certain that this car never left Italy indeed, and to know if it is included in the 37 or not.

Rgds

24. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Bruno,

-To my best knowledge #78479 is a GTB Turbo. But I don't have any evidence of that.

-According "Rifledriver" every US built after #82933 was a special order. Maybe that could explain that this car was chosen for this ceremony ?

-"my" number is all US model car built. Wherever it was sold, delivered or anything else. I Don't know how many were Indeed sent to North America. However #80682 is now in US ! It was imported in US and offered for sale by Crave in Texas end of 2015. Title in Montana on mid 2017

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting that you both feel rather certain there are only 37 89 USA GTB’s. That’s the lowest number I’ve ever heard. As an owner of one of them, it makes me appreciate my car even more. Thanks for the info. Merry Christmas.