328 Knock | FerrariChat

328 Knock

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mule, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I took the car out today, and as it was warming up in the driveway, there was a pretty loud knocking from the passenger side near where the intake hose is in the engine compartment. After a few miles I stopped for gas, and restarted it with no knock. When I took it home and let it cool in the driveway, then started it up, the knocking was back as I put it in the garage. Sort of three knocks, pause three seconds, three knocks, repeat.

Car drove fine all day with no knocking (when warm), and this is the first time it has ever knocked in two years of ownership, even in colder weather.

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Hard to say but I'd bet one of your belts are loose, Alt or A/C, I'd check them.

As the car warms the belts tighten.

3. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Check your water pump pulley. worn bearing act exactly the way you described. It will get worse fast.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    "Worse fast" enough time to take it to the dealer 60 miles away?

5. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If there is one thing I have learned working at a dealership, it's the value of a tow. The cost of a 60 mile tow pales in comparison with the cost of blown head gaskets or warped heads. I'm not trying to scare you since it's not even confirmed that it is a water pump, but, the piece of mind (at least for me) would be invaluable.

Good Luck!
    Dave

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I talked to the dealer this morning and the point he made was that it goes away when warm as a direction in diagnosis. He suggested that the A/C compressor might be making the noise, or a belt. He said it might be the pulley, but the sound should continue when warm.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Started and drove it today - no noise. Odd. Any thoughts?

8. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    If you cycle on the AC compressor does it change?

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I'll check today. A/C hasn't worked in years.

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Still no noise. One time only sound?

11. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Was really cold were the car was when you started it? My car did a similar noise once when started on day at near 0 C.

I was told by sevral other F-chat members that timming belts sometimes does that noise after a really cold night. The noise fades after a couple of minutes, and if weather is warm it will never apear again. BTW is a really scary sound!

- Julio.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    It was very cold the week before, but even after a two hour drive, it came back after it cooled down and I was putting it in the garage. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

13. Jeffo24

Jeffo24 Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey A. Foshee
    The question I have is about getting into a Ferrari dealership and how to go about it. I am a 14year Ford tech..which I know is nothing compared to the car of my dreams, but I consider myself a top rank technician and not a mechanic/parts hanger and yes there is a difference. If anyone could possible help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.. My ultimate dream and goal is to work in F1 at some point in time.. you may email me at [email protected] or just reply to this message..and thanks again for taking the time to help.and i hope me posting this doesnt offend or make anyone upset..if so i am sorry in advance..

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Jeff,
    Your post is fine, but it would get more exposure in the General Discussion or Technical section under its own thread. Not a lot of people are going to see it under this thread.