328, which year? | FerrariChat

328, which year?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Reynard38, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reynard38

Reynard38 Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark C. Ritter
    Starting to think about a 328. I do my own work on my race car (Formula Continental), and have a shop with a lift and just about any tool I could need. I have heard that the 328 is the last of the "owner servicable" Ferraris. Is one year better that the others, and what should I watch out for?
    Obviously I'm a newby. Located in Atlanta.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    You'll want an '88 1/2, or an '89. An '89, being the last year for the car, is the most desireable. From '88 1/2 onwards, they had ABS brakes. Of course, prices of cars go hand-in-hand according to desireability.

3. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    As has been mentioned before, there is really no bad year for a 328.

I've had two '86 328's and they've both been very solid and dependable cars. I have driven an 88+ model and noticed a better feel from the upgraded suspension, but I've talked to other owners who could not tell the difference.

Many people feel the ABS feature is not worth the extra $$ and is just a potentially expensive repair.

Welcome to the list, by the way! Atlanta is a very active town with many Ferrari people. Check out the South Central section of FerrariChat:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Regarding a 328 or ANY specific model of Ferrari, I would recommend that you buy the very latest year in the production run that you can find and/or afford....

All of the bugs seem to be worked just about the time they move on to the next model of car.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I 'second' Mr. Crawford's assessment - the ABS cars are great, it's a personal judgment call as to whether or not you want to spend the extra cash for those cars. BTW, if you want an extra set of rims for an ABS-equipped car, you better have double the money needed for Non-ABS rims. ABS rims are Convex, the others Concave.

I've driven '86 and '87 cars, all were terrific - and reliable. You'll pay less for a car in an off-color such as silver, charcoal or white, you'll be asked to pay premium for Red, black, yellow or blue. I've even seen a brown 328 out there, good service history, low miles, etc. that could be had for less than $38K. There's a silver/black 328 in Vermont, looks to be an excellent car with less than 30K miles for $40K even - and the price comes with a 30K service at a Ferrari-authorized service center/dealership for that $40K. Drop me a private email if interested.

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I wouldn't limit yourself to any year, they are all great, even though it may appear you have a decent selection for sale they only brought in about 2000 for the US in 4 years, out of those how many are wrecked and have other issues- salvage titles, accident damage etc, so you really don't have a large selection to pick from, I would get the best condition car with a long service history as opposed to going just for a particular year

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If I were in the market for a 328, it would be an 88 1/2 Non ABS with upgraded 348 style suspension.
    With preference to a GTB.

8. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    As mentioned above, all 328's are very solid cars. Here's a link to the F-Chat 328 Register. If you look below the list of cars, you'll see a list of changes by VIN. Then associate the VIN with the list to get a feel for changes by model year. They're great cars... you'll enjoy the 328!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2400&page=1&pp=20

9. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    My one is a late 1986. I have seen at least 10 other cars before going for this one, and certainly the manufacturing date was not the deciding factor.
    Too many other things are, IMHO, far more important.
    My 0.2 p suggestion is just this one: take your time, do not be in a hurry. You will find the right one...

Ciao

Eugenio

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As was mentioned, there is no bad year for the 328. They are all good cars.The '89s (and late 88s??) have new suspension and ABS (hence, the convex rims) and other MINOR changes. The former made the '89 models the "most desirable" (esp. to collectors) but otherwise,
    all 328 are solid cars. There are many good examples around.
    Good luck.

11. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Condition is more important than year. '89s arent that much different. Personally I would much rather have an 86-88 simply because the older wheels look MUCH better. The upgrades on the 89 to me do not justify the less attractive wheels.

Dan

12. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can readily second that opinion. The convex wheels make the car appear severely undetired. The older cars have a much more aggressive look.
    They are all dead reliable.

13. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I have an 86, no problems but always go newer the better.

14. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Its true that later 328s had suspension upgrades, but I chose my '86 GTB because: 1. It was not a garge queen (22K), 2. Paint/Interior were in exceptional condition, 3. It came with books, tools, and service records, including two previous belt changes, and 4. The GTBs are rarer.

Do your homework! Understand the differences between model years (e.g. early cars had recalls) before you start looking at specific examples. Don't rush! When you find a car that meets all your criteria, have a PPI done.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had an 87 GTS and currently an 89 GTB.
    As others have said, any year is fine. There were a couple of recalls for the early ones involving oil lines and A arm forks. Otherwise, there are numerous minor mechanical changes over the years. Beginning with late 88's, the supension had a big upgrade which makes the car feel more responsive and modern however, the convex wheels are not as attractive. I put aftermarket wheels on mine. If money is not much of an issue, I would try both and see if you want a later car.
    GTB's are much better looking and driving cars but are rare in the US. Took 30 months to find mine.
    Fortunately, 328's hold up well and there are many fine examples out there. Good luck.

Dave