328's are SLOW!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328's are SLOW!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave328, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "Bear in mind that the 350Z has a better drag coefficient than a 360 Modena"

Remember that a lower drag coefficient isn't always what you want. Aerodynamic stability is is very important at high speed and a big part of the reason Ferrari doesn't feel the 360 needs a governor. Also, down force is critical to cornering speed and lap times, but bad for drag coefficient. It’s all about balance and compromise. A 360 has more hp than a 350Z, so it can afford to add some drag and take a penalty on the straights because it more than makes it up the time in the corners.

“328s are slow”…..that’s why god gave us superchargers and intercoolers :)
    (it works on 308s too)

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dave, not only are 328s slow, but I hear that their traction control ain't worth spit. (Sorry about that little problem my Maranello had. I'm looking into having some Depends put on as we speak.)

DrTax

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Dale: LOL!
    In my defense, had I known about your 550's little incontinence problem I could have set up for it and executed a sweet 4 wheel drift that would have made Matt crap his pants! LOL!

Dave
    BTW Rob, that is a legitimate 360 pic. Taken by the driver. Gotta LOVE "Loozeana"!!

4. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Remember that a lower drag coefficient isn't always what you want. Aerodynamic stability is is very important at high speed and a big part of the reason Ferrari doesn't feel the 360 needs a governor. Also, down force is critical to cornering speed and lap times, but bad for drag coefficient. It’s all about balance and compromise. A 360 has more hp than a 350Z, so it can afford to add some drag and take a penalty on the straights because it more than makes it up the time in the corners.[/QUOTE]

You definitely don't need to tell me a 360 is nicer than my car -- I'm the first to admit it ;) I was just using that fact as a partial explanation for why my car is capable of the speed it is, because frankly I think it's pretty damn crazy. It is easily the most stable Japanese car I have driven to anywhere near that top speed!

5. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    It's not ONLY about speed. My 328 keeps me happy. Lets face it, anybody who owns a 328 could dump it and get a ZO6 and have a 170-180 car.

6. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    What M do you have? I normally don't have problems with anything except the newer s54 M3s.

7. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Two points:
    When it was brand new, with a friend driving we got mixed up with a 85 911 Turbo on the highway north of Boston, speedometer was showing 150 -152 and it pulled away from the Prosche, slightly.

Last summer, same car, on the way home from the Canadian GP in northern Vermont, Mercedes CL500 speedometer said we were both doing 153. I trust the MB speedo because Ferraris are somtimes a bit optimistic.

Also, I agree that the installation of a Tubi, combined with a fresh service has restored the vigor to my 328. She was certainly losing a step before the service and the Tubi.

Anyway, It is fast enough and still has enough to whip a Mercedes 500, and 99% of everything else......and it is NOT Japanese!!!!

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another disclaimer:
    This post was not meant to be taken seriously. I own a 328 and I don't think it's slow. It will accelerate up to the posted speed limit very quickly.;) Because as we all know, exceding the posted speed limit is against the law and wrong! (Boy I'm glad I'm typing, 'cuz there is no way I could have said that with a straight face! LOL) And for the record, I used a set of Rob's jack stands and was able to tick up to 165.(I know,I know, but let's not start discussing speedo error) ;)

Dave

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Richard, I'm sorry if sound like I was saying a 360 is better than a Z, I wasn't. They are different cars with different missions and they both excel in there own ways. My only point was that one spec by itself doesn't tell you that much about a car or it's potential.

10. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Don't,,, who compares a 360 to a 350Z. I am sorry but my Little BMW M car destroys 350Z's all day long. But the M car can not even come close to my 355, and you guys are comparing it to the 360. What is going on here.