330 GTC - What is this part called? | FerrariChat

330 GTC - What is this part called?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fasthound, Jan 11, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK fellow vintage Ferrari owners....what the heck is this part called? I've tried looking at all of the parts diagrams on multiple sites, and cannot find it. It's the cover at bottom front edge of the trunk that protects the fuel line fitting.

What is the proper name? And any ideas on where I can find one?

I've noticed that MANY 330 GTC's and other Ferrari's of this vintage are missing this part, so I'm guessing it is unobtainium, but thought I'd ask nonetheless.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Whether "proper" or not, I call it either "Access Cover ..." or just "Cover ..." "... for the fuel drain plug (located on the cross pipe between LH & RH fuel tanks)".
    Many, if not most, Daytonas seem to be missing* them also (I've made them for several cars).

*Another easy deduction for a judge with keen eye for detail.

enio45 likes this.
  3. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks. Funny, the one I’ve seen in person was on a Daytona. You make them out of thin steel or aluminum? Seems like a pretty simple shape. I could also make one out of a hard plastic via 3D CAD modeling and printing. I did that for the heater ducting transition pieces at the blowers and heater boxes in each fender.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :eek: It would be pretty much sacrilege to make something like that by
    Remember, the coachwork on these cars are/were "hand-made", especially small items like this.

On Daytonas, they appear to have been originally made of either steel or fiberglass, at least the ones I've had in my hands.

5. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ah yes, good old fiberglass. And I just happen to have some fabric and resin left over from a repair I did on the fiberglass passenger shell. I like that idea. Thanks. Should be easy enough to create a mold. The shop I use has a low mileage original 330 GTC coming in next week, so I’ll make a “tin foil” mold from the original part and go from there.

TTR and Edward 96GTS like this.
  6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you are pretty sure that your car has never been rear-ended, you might want to first check carefully for the screw holes that would be used to hold the cover on.

Pininfarina cars were probably build with more precision, but on some Daytonas, the hole is so close to the cross-brace that the cover won't fit, and I've seen a couple of such cars where the screw holes were missing; leaving me with the impression that the factory might have just not ever installed the cover it things did not "line up"...

19633500GT likes this.
  7. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good point. I’ll check for the screw holes. Car has not been rear-ended.

By loosening the hold-down bars on the fuel tanks, the tanks can be shifted slightly forward or aft along with the cross-connect piping, so I’m pretty sure I can manage to fit a cover. The flange for the cover will be part of a custom fabrication, I can slightly adjust it’s size to suit the location of the cross-connect piping and drain fitting….hopefully….so that I can fit the screws.

I won’t get a chance to work on this part until next month after I get the car back home in my garage, but I will post a photo or two on here once I get it all figured out.

Thanks for the input.

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yeah, I've always thought it was odd that the factory did not shift the tanks on the Daytonas I mentioned so that the hole could be cut well clear of the cross brace.

Of course, it is also very possible that a lot of Daytonas were rear-ended, spun or completely rusted-out, and have completely un-original trunk floors, but the cars that I looked at really closely at did not give this impression.

In the interest of full disclosure, one of those cars is mine. When I saw that the cover was missing, I pulled the spare to look at the floor. No screw holes, so I did not disqualify the car because of this possible points deduction... :)

fasthound likes this.