348 clutch bleeding | FerrariChat

348 clutch bleeding

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferrari360driver, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can we not manually bleed these clutches? Pumping the pedal, holding it down and cracking the bleed screw?

I tried it tonight for 20 minutes and had zero success.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It would be better if you had s pressure bleeder for a complete job. Then if you needed light bleeding, then pump and bleed is acceptable.

3. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So it will not work this way? Fluid comes out each time, but the clutch does not come to life.

4. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There an air bubble in the master cylinder. Put some rags down and unhook the line up there. Have someone push the clutch then cover the line hole while they let the clutch up, repeat once. Last time I did it I used my finger and it gave me blood blisters on my finger the suction was so strong so I’d suggest using a little piece of rubber or something instead to seal it. Then you can quickly put the line on and bleed the system. Once you have the bubble out of the cylinder it will work solid. It only takes a couple minutes (especially if you just use your finger)

Pangea likes this.
  5. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    unhook the rubber hose at the top or the lower hose at the bottom?

6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Here is something I ran into when trying to bleed my clutch on my 355. Like you, I was getting fluid with each stroke, but the pedal wasn't there. What I found happening was the piston was not coming back out of the bore completely. So I had to reach in there (tight) and pull it out all the way. I think I used a dentist pick to help pull it. Once I was able to do that, it bled OK. Also, go slow with the pedal. Hope this helps.

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As the above post said.. bleed the master cylinder first. Worked fine when done.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did not realize you changed your master cylinder. You need to bench bleed it before installation, and then subsequent bleeding of the circuit.

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unhook the metal line from the discharge side, this will let you get the air out of the cylinder. Just seal it when you let the clutch back up so it has to suck fluid from the reservoir, not air from the discharge side.
    You can get it to pump 100 gallons of fluid through the clutch bleeder and never get the air out of the master cylinder unless you unhook the line at the cylinder and do it there.

Pangea likes this.
  10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  11. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich

I did this trick and I started to get pressure. still spongy but an improvement. Seems to help,l but I guess I need to do it more.

12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    One trick that worked very well on my BMW clutch (that just wouldn't bleed with the usual pumping of the clutch pedal) was to pump fluid from the slave nipple back towards the master cylinder. As the master is always higher than the slave, purging air out is much easier in this way. I put some teflon tape on the salve nipple threads so that the fluid does not leak there and pumped fluid using a 60 cc syringe and a short length of PVC tube to tightly connect to the bleed nipple.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    thanks! I did finally get perfect clutch pressure tonight. Took a while to bleed the master first of air, then power bleed the system. ton of air finally came out and just like that my car shifts better than ever. Much smoother shifts than when I even first bought it. Clearly this was an issue even before I knew it

Thanks a bunch!

ernie and 97 Spider like this.