348 Clutch Release Bearing - Stoogie Style | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Clutch Release Bearing - Stoogie Style

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vvassallo, Oct 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Thanks Vince and Ernie, I am just going through this process with my Valeo clutch and it is great of you guys to take the time to show how all this is done. It is guys like you who take the black art away from this process so that you can evaluate whether you are being ripped off in the labour cost area.Thanks.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's what the 348 Brotherhood is all about, looking out for one another.

If you would, since you have a Valeo clutch I highly suggest you do the same. Take pleanty of pictures ad post a how-to thread. That way the next Modial T guy, with a Valeo semi-auto clutch, can see what you've done, and yours may,or may not, be a bit different than for our 348's. Catch my drift?

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Bravo!! Have a go yourself mate! Not hard. :D:D

Great idea. :):)

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #29 vvassallo, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a follow up this project, Ernie and I finished it off today. I ordered and we replaced the large O-ring inside the clutch release flange and the triple seals and the single O-ring on the trans shaft. This was because of leaking trans fluid after the repair above. Turned out that this was not the problem, however, I will sleep much better knowing that all these rubber "wear" parts are new.

Interesting the inner seal inside of the flange somehow ripped when the inner lining spring dislodged and essentially spun around to rip the inside edge of the seal. Not sure exactly how this happened, however, it may have been that when we installed it, the inner lip bent inward to dislodge the spring. We substituted the old flange and seal and they work just fine.

Another interesting thing is that the Hill flange and the stock one are virtually identical in all pertinent measurements as shown in the accompanying pictures (Hill on the right). We micrometered them and they were consistent. So, for a 1993 348 TS SS and a Spider, you only need to replace the clutch release bearing and do not require the Hill flange, so No_Doubt is correct in his post above. My feeling is that this is the case for many of the 348 models. I have no knowledge of which years may be different. Presumably it would be the earlier years.

I would have included more on the additional work, but frankly, I am burned out on the project now that it is done. Besides we followed Ernie's previously posted directions explicedly for replacing these rubber parts (including using the plastic soda bottle as a guide for the seals) so really I could add not a thing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #31 AceMaster, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Excellent work, Vince and Ernie - that flange is slightly over $600 ($636 be exact, which is more than the TO Bearing itself which is $542), so good to know that it is not necessary on the SS models.

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    After some additional research, it is advised that you check for differences that you may have between your installed flange and the new Hill bearing. Best to order the flange with the understanding that you can return it if it is not necessary.

8. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good advice - and I would bet my life that Daniel would ship you both parts and then allow you to return the un-needed at no re-stock fee.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That's a pretty hefty wager!

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'm curious why there is the "need" for a different slave cylinder when they measure the same in the areas that matter?

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They don't measure the same.

The pre-load springs are significantly offset between the early and the late. In the absense of service records or an open pumpkin, it is impossible to verify which flange might be inside ANY 348, Mondial t, or pre 98 F355.

Both ND and Vince's car had previously been updated to the newer Ferrari flange, presumably by prior owners at franchised dealerships. MANY of the 348's and early 355s were updated at dealerships when the 355 bearing set was sold as a complete kit with the flange, and known to work in both models.

Vince is sending his used flange back to me for a refund.

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol, sorry Daniel, I didn't mean to put you in a tough spot, but from everything I have read you have done it in the past for other parts....not to mention you even lend out the tools for some of the jobs...maybe this part is different is non-returnable :)

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thanks for this! I really didn't want to stop working on the car tonight just to make the call tomorrow in order to figure out what those threaded rods were. However, I hadn't planned on changing the 4" o-ring you mention in the next post. Hmmm. It really is quite supple and raised nicely above the machined surface. I'm sure it will be fine. I may take you up on your dare and leave it. I bought the kit from Ricambi. Wouldn't that thing be in there if I needed it? Oh hell, I'll order the o-ring. Thanks for the great write-up. Dave

15. MLX_1

MLX_1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2021
    London
    Fantastic ‘how-to’ guys thanks - I’m just attempting this myself. Just a question on the Hill engineering flange and the threshed studs used as plugs: I’ve seen a video on YouTube where this is done but the guy specifically says ‘don’t’ screw the studs all the way into the hole and that the stud should not protrude into the threaded channel beyond the edge of the casing ie not even penetrate the hole. He says this would prevent proper operation of the clutch. As far as I can make out these two holes to be plugged are unused and no clutch fluid enters them. Should I screw the studs as far into the hole as possible or not?

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is how we did it.
    YOU do it however you feel comfortable.
    Or better yet give Hill Engineering a call to see what they recommend.