348 flywheel clamp for ring nut torquing | FerrariChat

348 flywheel clamp for ring nut torquing

Discussion in '348/355' started by QSA, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    What methods have people used to lock the flywheel in place while torquing the ring nut?

I’ve seen reference to installing on car and torquing with it in gear, and using “wheel rubber” (which I’m not entirely sure what that means).

2. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    What I ended up doing is:

1. Install the clutch disc and pressure plate. The pressure plate juts past the mating surface of the pumpkin.
    2. Set the pumpkin down on a scrap of thick carpet on concrete, so that the pressure plate is touching the carpet.
    3. At this point the pumpkin housing itself is floating free and can rotate. The friction of the pressure plate against the carpeting is what you care about now, not the pumpkin housing.
    4. Use the impact gun on the ring nut for a while. In my case it worked great and the pressure plate didn't rotate against the carpet.
    5. The pumpkin bearing may shift upward a bit during this. You may have to lightly tap it back in with a soft blow mallet before installing the pumpkin bearing cover.

3. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Thanks Kris. Couple of follow ups:

What kind of impact did you use on the ring nut? Considering buying a new air impact since mine won’t budge it getting it off.

What tool did you use on the ring nut? I bought the Powerbuilt which fit snug at first but 5 seconds on my impact narrowed the fingers a bit and now it has some play.

Did you torque to spec with a torque wrench after hitting it with the impact? That is my main question. The socket extends out and I don’t see a good way to get a wrench on it without risk of stripping the nut.

4. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  5. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I used a cordless 1/2" drive Snap-On impact. I believe it's rated to 600 lb*ft of torque, which is higher than the specified torque for the nut.

https://store.snapon.com/Cordless-Impacts-18-V-1-2-Drive-Cordless-MonsterLithium-Impact-Wrench-Pinned-Anvil--P922739.aspx

I spoke with a few people who have done it this way before and they never reported any problems with the method. Just make sure your impact has a decent torque rating. I spent probably a solid 10-15 seconds hitting it with the impact.

6. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
  7. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you are confident the nut is presently torqued correctly, mark the nut before removal relative to the flywheel, then refit with the impact to the same position. You don't want to damage the threads. A small dab of medium threadlock as a backup.