348 in Pittsburgh,PA | FerrariChat

348 in Pittsburgh,PA

Discussion in '348/355' started by srephwed, Oct 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Any one know this 348 vin zfffa36a6k0082555? It's on ebay with bin of 35K or offer. Slight front damage according to history. Car looks great but seems to good to be true. Thanks for any help

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    #2 asgor, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
    I think I remember seeing this same car on eBay say... a year ago. I might be wrong but it was about the same price and same geographical location. I called up the guy on the phone and he was a rough type - he ended up yelling that if I was looking for a sports car with a working A/C system I should look for a BWM instead of a Ferrari. Obviously that was the end of my conversation with him. Again, please take this with a grain of salt because it all happened quite some time ago and I can't tell for sure if it is the same car. I do remember the driver's front seat being swapped with an aftermarket unit as well as the F355 Challenge wheels, though.

In any case, if you call (phone number removed by NeuroBeaker) ask him about the A/C and who performed the "major service". If memory serves me right this dude is actually a mechanic (= no service records). Ah, and the exhaust system seems to be an aftermarket unit hanging unevenly from the back of the vehicle.

3. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    I actually talked to this guy when it was originally listed agreed on 30k and never heard from him again...so funny because I hadn't looked for 348s in some time.

4. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    The price seems a good bit lower than other 348’s for sale around the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I reached out this morning to find out more about the "minor issue" eBay is showing. Requested a Carfax.
    I'm looking to get into my first Ferrari and want a driver. (Not that I plan to daily it) - So this might fit the bill if infact major service was completed recently.

6. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    What does a major cost on a 348?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

7. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    In my searching recently, it's about 8-12k, on higher side if you're doing some other bits "while you're in there". My quotes include clutch as well.

8. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    I'm new to the forum and hope to be an owner soon. Just wanted to give you some background on my dealings with this car.

Be careful here. I talked to him on the phone, car sounded good (he's done a lot of preventative stuff hill bearings etc.), we agreed on 32.5k pending a PPI. He recommended a shop that I looked into (seems like a good business) Eurospeed Motor Werk https://www.facebook.com/pg/EUROSPEEDPITTSBURGH/about/ . Seems like a stand-up shop and the owner of the shop didn't seem to know the guy at all (mispronounced his last name). The car got the OK, records looked complete, slight oil seepage from some places (sitting), a very minor leak at the transmission, and a hint of throwout bearing noise (charlie- the main mechanic- wasn't 100% on if it was just him hearing things, ha!). It needed new rear tires, but other than that all good! I had secured a loan from USAA so I had a cashiers check in his name ready to go.

This is where things get weird. I'm in DC he's in Pittsburgh. He wanted me to mail him the cashiers check. I said I can't do that, I'll have no recourse. I tried to call him on the phone/ set up time to speak and he refuses to answer. I offered via text to do the transaction at his bank and call USAA would verify the check number, he could deposit it right away and we'd do the title sign-over. He came back that the funds needed to clear into the bank before he'd release the title. I'm sitting here like - that's how you rob me. He won't budge and now says someone is wiring him the money. I'm out.

He could be a scammer or he could just be a major skeptic, but I'm not risking my hard-earned money on the latter. He did provide pics of the title and anything else I asked for. I'm not saying it's not a good car or worth the money. Just saying be careful.

Regards,
    Andy

9. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    People can be weird. I have had multiple transactions buying and selling cars and motorcycles, where sealed bank envelopes containing thousands of dollars in cash were passed without opening.

Then again almost all of my transactions are face-to-face. The two times I purchased vehicles sight unseen off of eBay, I did not get what was advertised.

As for this car, now that you have verified it as a decent runner, And a potentially screaming deal, all we need is a serious buyer to show up at his doorstep with a bag of cash.

10. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Very true, I'm not in the financial state yet to be able to throw around that much money. With that said, I've been through my fair share of strange 5-10k transactions. I wish the future buyer and seller the best. If the buyer wants to reimburse me for the PPI I'd take it ;) ha! -Charlie at Eurospeed could probably give anyone a run-down on the car (he looked at it on Saturday).

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have e mailed the owner with no reply. I am about 3 1/2 hrs from him and would drive up but I guess he got his wire full of money.

12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have been told even a cashiers check or money order is not like cash because a stop payment can be done. Other than cash a USPS money order is the only payment like cash. A stop payment and refund can not be done on a postal MO for 90 days. At least that is what I am told.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is no exact price, it is an inexact science. To many variables that factor in. But average is about $7k-$10k

redzone likes this.
  14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    When I bought a car, I did a bank transfer. The bank was very clear that once they implement my instruction, the funds are gone and cannot be recalled from my end.

It seems to me like going down to the bank with the seller, title in hand, would be a way to reassure all parties. Simultaneously sign the title and transfer the funds.

It is strange that nothing of this nature was able to be arranged with previously agreed deals.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    #15 redzone, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
    Hi guys -
    I'm the seller of the car and have been here for years. This has been interesting to say the least and terms of sale have been made clear repeatedly. Check and then its yours when it clears (funds available) or wire transfer . {Full name removed by NeuroBeaker} AAbryan knew it , whew couldn't make it more clear. Seems like everyone wants the car until they have to pay for it. Its a nice car and hate to see it go but its time.

16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I had emailed you about heat and a/c operation. So how is it?

17. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    yes- the a/c works - the clutch ,field and pulley were replaced during the 2nd belt service - receipt in possession of course - heat works as well. Further questions can be emailed or PMed

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And that, my friend, is the difference between a contender and a pretender :)

redzone likes this.
  19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Looks like it sold. Good luck to the new owner.