348 inner tie rod ends - alternatives? | FerrariChat

348 inner tie rod ends - alternatives?

Discussion in '348/355' started by desmomini, Dec 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Factory parts are over 500 for each side.

Anyone have any luck finding this part cross-listed with Fiat, Lancia, Saab, whatever?

Hoping to find same robustness for less lira.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I use the jaguar ones, little beefier, Cant remember the exact one but was 97-99 jag

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    As I happen to have a 1999 Jaguar X308 and a 1998 Saab 9-5 (and the spares for them), these are my measurements:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The two are very similar except for the tapered section. The Saab one has a smaller diameter at the start of the taper but its tapered section is also longer (measured from approx. the centre of the M14 threaded hole) so the taper may come a bit out (prevent tightening) when fitted on the 348. Or it may be closer to the taper lengh/diameter of the factory 348 tie-rod end (I don't have a spare 348 rod end to be able to compare).

Jaguar JLM1098 was actually used on most Jags of the 90's and also 80's since when they started switching to metric.

ernie likes this.
  5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
  6. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    I bought mine from Maseratisource here in the US. Think it was $100 for the pair.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Further info regarding Jaguar X308 (1997-1999) and Saab 9-5 (1998) tie rod ends:

Both, Jag and Saab, ends I pictured in my previous thread cannot be used as they have M14 thread for attachment to the tie rods and Ferrari 348 tie rods have 1/2" UNF thread.

Perhaps tie rod ends from some earlier Jags (1970's ?), when they still used imperial size threads, could be used. Currently, there is no need to look for alternatives as Ferrari part #154300 tie rod ends are still available at a reasonable price as informed in post 5 above (I just got a pair). These appear to also be Maserati p/n 154300.

8. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    I'm presently faced with a very loose inner tie rod end (the one that connects to the rack itself) and wonder if anyone has any further information on these. They don't even appear on the factory exploded steering diagram!

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nope its an assembly, its made by TRW so they don't see parts. Contact a steering rack rebuild shop.

btw what do you mean by loose?

10. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    I haven't taken the rack out yet, but there was a clunk in the steering when driving and when I removed the wheel I can see significant movement inside the boot when I move the brake disk

11. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    BTW thanks for the response. This is what I think I need, and from the photo I guess either the fitting has come unscrewed from the rack or the ball joint has failed, and only pulling the rack out will show. I had hoped to get the part ahead of stripping it down, but maybe that's not the best option.

Autopeca in Italy sells a pair with boots for 498 Euros

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
  13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The movement inside the boot you are having could be due to perished rack bush. Is your movement similar to what is shown in the attached video?

Attached Files:

14. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    It certainly is.

15. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    Thanks so much for that. I guess I will find out when I remove the rack next week when I get the time, and so I will hold off action on getting parts as I guess it should be possible to get new bushes made

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Search the forum, there are good write-ups on replacing this (plastic) bush.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly why I asked what does he mean by loose. Those are threaded and peened. Its usually the rack bush. That bush fails on 100% of these cars. Its a consumable part. When you put a new bush in make sure you have some air holes so the boot breathes and does not blow up. Why not send it to a rack rebuild shop, usually costs $300 or so.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/started-348-steering-rack-rebuild.591467/

18. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    That sounds like good advice. I'll ask around for a shop, but being in Sydney (Australia) 348's are very rare beast

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well the steering rack is made by TRW its the same exact design used in Fiat, Opel, alfas and a ton more, just in a different size. Many parts are interchangeable with others, there is nothing about that rack that is Ferrari, if they don't have a part in the right size they can get it. Good luck, else DIY.

20. Arthurh

Arthurh Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    Thanks mate. I'll get onto it

21. Stimpy348

Stimpy348 Rookie

Oct 23, 2014
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Seth Stewart
    I’m in the US and just noticed that my passenger side inner tie rod has the same type of slack as shown in the video within this thread. Any suggestions on repair and/or replacement?

_JC_ likes this.
  22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    3 options, rack rebuild shop, swap it for a rebuilt one (way ore expensive), make a bushing and put it in. I have a thread with dimensions, I gave my last Delrin one away to Jason Berkley.

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm gonna resurrect this thread.

Are both left and right inner tie rods right hand thread? I may need a drivers side. I'll suss it out tomorrow when I do my drivers side rear wheel bearings.

sjd

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Same part number, same threads. Righry tighty, lefty loosy.

steved033 likes this.
  25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    sweet. I have a part then. Some days it pays to be a parts squirrel.

sjd