348 New Owner Question | FerrariChat

348 New Owner Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by VTLotus, Jan 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTLotus

VTLotus Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    I am new to Ferrari ownership, just purchased my 348 TS after having been a Lotus guy for 12 years. As you can imagine the car i purchased is not perfect. The first problem i am trying to fix is the alternator/battery issue. First i need a new HW to secure the battery, just flopping around currently, feel like a trip to Lowes will fix this. But my questions are around the battery and alternator:

For the alternator is it an upgrade to go with a Nippon Denso and do the entire kit? And if so where is the best place to source? Or as i have read just get a refurbished Delco?

And for the battery, i always use Optima batteries in my cars but per the website they do not have one that fits. Is there another brand that people like?

Appreciate the help and this board has so much useful information,
    Brian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to FerraiChat! :)

Is the battery in the front or the back? If it's like mine in the back there's a small bracket which isn't too expensive that holds the battery in place. You'll need to remove the small inner wheel arch liner to access it. I would resist the urge to replace with a home made part if your able since it's such a cheap part.

Item 40 in the diagram below:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/348-1993-tb-ts/electrical-ignition/current-generator-battery-23684

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Search?partNumber=106525

Before you go changing the alternator just check that it hasn't already ben done by an earlier owner. There should be a sticker with a part no on teh alternator itself but you will most probably have to remove the vented stone guard to see properly.

It's quit an expensive kit (if you can find one) so unless you have an immediate problem I'd leave well alone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Welcome to 348 ownership! Make sure you dont have an oil leak dripping into your alternator. That is what killed my Delco alternator on my 90 348. You can fabricate a shield over the alternator to prevent this (see some earlier posts).

My Delco generated plenty of juice and wasn't an issue before the oil leak killed it. I replaced with a new Delco unit.

chas-3 likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome and congrats. There is a thread out here about converting from Delco to denso but it does require changing some wiring. That said I would not do that because you can buy much better Delco alternators, including high output versions.

My 348 happens to have the 140 amp denso which I think is what the 355 uses. The kit for that is no longer available, but if it didn't have it I would probably just make the bracket for it.

Here's a threat I made I fabricated a DIY alternator shield with which both protects it from oil as well as heat. It sits muddy close to that header.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/604393/

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Attached Files:

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I do regret selling my '89 Turbo SE (after 16 years of ownership). Rarer than a 348 or 355, but a Ferrari is a Ferrari ( and "next level").

7. VTLotus

VTLotus Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks for replies, battery is in the back. I need to double check that it even has the factory battery base. But either way thanks for the website as i could not find the parts in stock on others. I am not sure what caused the alternator to fail but it was replaced 2 years ago and has failed again, this was a know problem when care was purchased. Engine did pass compression and leak down test and i was able to drive the car after using a batter tender to charge battery completely.

Looking forward to this project.

Thanks
    Brian

8. VTLotus

VTLotus Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #9 Ferrarium, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think you'll be paying double want you need to buying the alternator from Ferrari

https://www.superformance.co.uk/348/electrical.html

At the end of the day Ferrari don't make them - it's a Nippon Denso.

IIRC there are threads on here about cheaper alternatives - before you buy any parts always look through the alternative parts thread linked below:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-parts-thread.50339/

May want to read this too:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-alternator-removal-rebuild.142329/

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep, always cross reference electrical parts by the part number. Most Bosch parts for example can be had for 50% or more off Ferrari cost for the same part number. For the alternator you can then buy the brackets used on eBay often.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DASV8 likes this.
  12. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just a couple of tips....

I'm assuming your replacing the alternator belt whilst doing this and rather than trying to loosen off the tension adjuster just cut it off with a craft knife. I say this because many people (including mechanics) end up braking the bracket because they either dont release the nut/bolt securing the bearing first or they try and loosen the adjusting bolt in the wrong direction (anti clock to tighten tension/clockwise to loosen tension). Rather than learning on the job as it were you can practice (and lubricate) with all it all free of tension. Previous mechanic/owner to me snapped my bracket (and lost the broken part) and it cost an absolute fortune to replace.

When putting the belt back you may find it almost impossible to put the belt back on even with it at maximum looseness. If this happens then take the top bolt securing the alternator out (leave teh bottom bolt in place but loose) and it allows you to move the alternator inwards to the engine just enough for teh belt to go on easily.

Finally, do your aircon belt at the same time as that requires the alternator bolt to come off to replace it. Happy mechanicing!

Qavion likes this.
  13. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Not sure where you are but in the northeast tri-state area this place “Bronx ignition on Blondell Avenue Bronx New York” is the go to spot for all high end and other dealers and repair shops for everything from starters, alternators, any type of ignition systems and anything electrical on an automobile or trucks——— they will test and rebuild your original equipment and upgrade if you want with a warranty —- there is a quite few specialty shops in the area that do Ferrari, Porsche and a lot of euro cars only go there for their electrical parts
    Give them a call they will tell you what your options are for a alternator upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. VTLotus

VTLotus Rookie

Jan 12, 2017
    I am in Richmond VA, i have found the 140W kit new and comes with bracket. And i am thinking about going this route as a one and done fix to alternator problems. I am not as concerned with cost but more of a fix this one time and move on to the rest of the car that needs addressing.

Engine out service was done in March 2021 so i am hoping to skip this for a few years.

Brian

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Found a used one? I'd put it in alright.