348 performance chip | FerrariChat

348 performance chip

Discussion in '348/355' started by DonJuan348, Sep 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Has anyone installed a performance chip on their 348 ? If so which one and what performance benefits did you feel ?

2. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    To the best of my (limited) memory, I don't think anyone in this section has ACTUAL dyno runs before and after installing a chip. The general consensus seems to be - save your money - as the actual performance gains are highly over-stated by the manufacturers. I do recall one manufacturer in Italy that was supposed to be quite good and were the only ones that had "cracked" the code of the Motronic 5.2 ECU (obviously not applicable to your 348).

I'm sure others will chime in here.

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    After the chip, the car can stay with a VW GTI.

Gotcha!

4. Tom_C

Tom_C Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Raleigh area, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #4 Tom_C, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    I have a set of "supposed" performance chips that came with the car when I bought it from a fellow Fchatter. I hope to do a baseline dyno sometime in the near future, and then switch in the performance chips and run again. I honestly don't remember why the performance chips weren't put in the car when I got it.... No timeframe for the above, but I am interested, and will post the results when I get them. :)

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Dino (Ingegnere) - hope I spelled his id correct - has put in a chip in his 348 SS - I believe his company makes the chip. You can check with him for price / hp/torque improvements

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    We have been doing 348 software work for quite some time. The programming, along with a Tubi yields ~10-12% increases in hp/tq.

What is really apparent is the improved throttle response, and vastly improved mid range. It really improves the package. My car is also ~200 lbs lighter. Between the extra power and the lighter weight, the I have no problems running down 355s. 360s are a little tougher, but well within the reach of my 348. If that gives you an idea of the package.

albert328gts likes this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not questioning you data, but I routinely run down 360 F1s on r-compound tires with my 95 F355 on street tires (S03s) with M6 tranny.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #9 vvassallo, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    I got ND Pink Chips@ which are less aggressive than his Red Chips@ combined with all my other mods. Not sure what the chips themselves will do. It's actually more of a package of mods that yield results, not just a simple EPROM replacement.

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Some of what you are inferring is in the driver I assume.

While being a chief FCA instructor, obviously there is a fair amount of involvement in skill levels in the corners, but I am talking about straight line performance.

I am sure that you are a superb driver, and I don't want to get in a debate with you. I was trying to answer a question about relative performance of the 348 that has been ECU tuned.

10. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
  11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    if I am not mistaken Veloce Performance linked above is a company owned by Dino (Ingenere)

12. Luc

Luc Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    If one of you dared sending me an ECU, I could work on it with one of my good friends who has a passion for Italians (owns several Maserati's) and is an excellent engineer. He already reverse engineered the ML in my Porsche, the ones used in Alfa 164, His Maz... if he's OK for doing this I could write the application for modifying the timings.

The thing is to get an ECU for at least 2 or 3 months.

13. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dino:

Only $1450.00 for the chip! That's fantastic. Does this include the Motronic 5.2 ECU or only the 2.7?

14. Luc

Luc Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    Maybe you're a good driver too ;)

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    F chat member should get a discount..

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yes... both 2.7 and 5.2

Some say.... :)

I am sure that we can work something out.

17. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a 1993 348TB SS. I bought the car 8 years ago. The previous owner had T.P.S chips for the car. I then had the timing changed to the Challenge specs, installed the T.P.S. chips, and removed the cats. The car runs stronger (by the seat of my pants), but I will have it dynoed to get a reading. Hope to post that number soon.

18. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

What are the challange timing changes? Do you have the timing numbers?

19. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't have them. But, I've seen them here on Ferrarichat. Do a search, you'll find them. Or start a new post, someone will post them quickly I'm sure.

20. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    I chiptuned 348 with 2.5 and 2.7 Ecus and dynod them. You can only get safe benefits without mechanical modifications when you run on better fuel then 95 ROZ. Then you can get hp gain from earlier ignition angles. Here in germany we have 98 ROZ and 100 ROZ on the gas stations so depending on wich fuel i adjust the mappings the benefit will be higher or lower. Without changing the fuel or changing the cams i wouldn't raise the ignition angle much and the hp benefits would be near zero. F.e. 98 ROZ rest of the engine stock i got 15 hp max on 7150rpm wich was then 335hp. Bigger benefits are possible with changed inlet manifolds with individual throttle valves and changed cams.