348 Spark plugs | FerrariChat

348 Spark plugs

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fguy, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    My 1990 348 ts is ready for new set of spark plugs; any recommendations? Thank you.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    NGK Iridium Core DR8EIX. Don't gap them.

Ga68_ likes this.
  3. uber2

uber2 Rookie

Jun 1, 2020
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Kasra A.
    Why not gap them?

Attached Files:

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    JLF and uber2 like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Awfully complicated way to go about it.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    OK... let me qualify that.

Its a plug they can be gapped sure, 7EIX comes pre gapped at .044 so yes that should be gapped. If it was a platinum or copper plug, definitely gap them.

The 8EIX come factory gapped at .032". and 348 spec is below. I suppose if one really wanted they would try and close it .01mm (That's the difference).

But you risk damaging the tip, the Iridium plugs are more efficient and at the factory gap seems to work well. Could you close the gap on 8EIX that tiny .01mm? Sure. Should you, well up to you.

If you re gap them manually, would you have 01mm difference between them anyhow, ohh most likely as you cant really apply pressure to the tip. Especially if one uses that stupid quarter sized edge slider gap tool.

Now if you use feeler gauges and specialty gap tools you can do it especially if your carful. Can Brian do it correct, yes. Will most folks? Probably not and not even realize the tip broke off after the gap tool is removed.

Most folks will just hoark on them and make things worse is all which is why I say for most folks don't gap the 8EIX.

Attached Files:

uber2 likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The factory spec is between 24-28 and anyone with any brains or Ferrari experience knows the lower end is better and yes it does make a difference.

I have gapped thousands of iridium plugs without damaging a single one. Yes I understand some people can break a steel ball so if you have that problem you should quit working on your own car.

Now, to the OP. Should we take this idiots advice or should we take the advice of NGK and Ferrari?

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 Ferrarium, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #9 Ferrarium, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    This is all I am saying regarding Iridium plugs, Denso and NGK sites say this. SHOULD you gap... sure why not. The Ferrari 348 manual existed before Iridium's even existed, manual recommends Champion A-6g. LOL ok sure what ever.

But yes, I am in Idiot some so gap them please, always. At least it will be within the spec. Can't hurt unless you break them. Will you notice it, no you wont. But then again I am an idiot so there's that. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login